Fusion 360 Fastener library

Upnorth

I have a fusion 360 legacy license. The insert fastener command is grayed out for me. Not useable.

I saw this was in an update but couldn't find it. Thanks for showing me where it is. I still have the option to install a McMaster Carr or manufacturers part but that requires a lot of searching to find what I want.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Do they create a false body that represents the tap drill in mating parts? The false body would be linked and subtracted in the assembly. Also, do they have simplified version to keep the file size lighter?

gerritv

Gerrit
You still need to specify the hole, I suppose it doesn't try to guess fit, depth, bottom treatment, etc.
If you model the hole first it will select a suitable size of fastener for you. I usually model my designs to a certain point of detail, not including fasteners, this new feature might change that.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have a fusion 360 legacy license. The insert fastener command is grayed out for me. Not useable.

I saw this was in an update but couldn't find it. Thanks for showing me where it is. I still have the option to install a McMaster Carr or manufacturers part but that requires a lot of searching to find what I want.

There is some setup details about a requirement to convert your single user legacy license into a team user even if it's a team of one. I had to do this for it to work and I'm a paid subscriber. Otherwise it was greyed out. @Upnorth give it a go and report back?

On this page:

Follow the link to transfer to Fusion Team

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Update your version and see if it appears under the Insert menu as above?

Yup, it's there.

I tried to use it but got mired down in the complexity. Too many choices, none of them obvious. Couldn't even find a simple metric socket head cap screw let alone add it to my design.

I'll try again later.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Yup, it's there.

I tried to use it but got mired down in the complexity. Too many choices, none of them obvious. Couldn't even find a simple metric socket head cap screw let alone add it to my design.

I'll try again later.
There is a pulldown menu to select units. This will narrow the choices... I at first was overwhelmed by ISO standards as a description.... It would also help if the menu did not collapse after you choose the wrong one...
1701805407721.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There is a pulldown menu to select units. This will narrow the choices..

At least yours shows metric and "English". Mine didn't do that or I didn't see it.

Somebody needs to tell their developers that it's imperial and metric. There is no such standard as English.

Upnorth

Ok I tried one of their recommended fixes. My account already has a section that is set up as a team. I opened up a previously made file and tried to use the fastener library but it didn't work. I made and saved a new design and the library does appear to work with a newly saved drawing. I'll try to bring in some old files to the team and see what happens. If that does not work it would be a lot of work to redraw everything.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Ok I tried one of their recommended fixes. My account already has a section that is set up as a team. I opened up a previously made file and tried to use the fastener library but it didn't work. I made and saved a new design and the library does appear to work with a newly saved drawing. I'll try to bring in some old files to the team and see what happens. If that does not work it would be a lot of work to redraw everything.
@Upnorth do you get an error when fusion launches to migrate your drawings to a team? and you have to hit later everytime? I had that problem and after I did do the work of the migration and following those autocad instructions on getting fastener going it started working.

Upnorth

@Upnorth do you get an error when fusion launches to migrate your drawings to a team? and you have to hit later everytime? I had that problem and after I did do the work of the migration and following those autocad instructions on getting fastener going it started working.
I didn't get an error unless I was not in team mode. From my past settings Some of my stuff appears to be in a team and some is not. Team was already previously set up. I have not spent much time on trouble shooting this yet. When I'm in my previous not team environment fasteners are grayed out.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
At least yours shows metric and "English". Mine didn't do that or I didn't see it.

Somebody needs to tell their developers that it's imperial and metric. There is no such standard as English.
I posted a number of suggestions to the autocad fusion forum including asking for a way to mark the common fastener types so they are easier to find - I don't usually use socket cap head screws with holes drilled horizontally through the head! haha. lots of funny fastener types. Where would you even buy those? They probably went through machinery handbook and put every type they found into the tool - yet missed some common ones. 99% of the time we just need the regular ones. So far I've asked them to add nylon lock nuts and seconded somebody else asking for carriage bolts. I also asked them John to change English to Imperial.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Good stuff @Janger . I like helping developers improve their products. It's good to see that you have found a way to do that. I like your suggestions. I found it VERY hard to find what I wanted.

Upnorth

I posted a number of suggestions to the autocad fusion forum including asking for a way to mark the common fastener types so they are easier to find - I don't usually use socket cap head screws with holes drilled horizontally through the head! haha. lots of funny fastener types. Where would you even buy those? They probably went through machinery handbook and put every type they found into the tool - yet missed some common ones. 99% of the time we just need the regular ones. So far I've asked them to add nylon lock nuts and seconded somebody else asking for carriage bolts. I also asked them John to change English to Imperial.
Allen head screws that are drilled horizontally are not rare in my line of work. The holes are so that they can be safetied with lockwire after installation. I work in aviation but I have seen them on motorcycles too.

Part number for them begins with MS24673.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I assume with your suggestion @Janger, you can build your own favorites based on a default. Basically adding or removing them as you need them.