• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Tips/Techniques Filament Recommendations

Tips/Techniques
How are people clamping or not clamping 3d parts? For CA glue just hold it in place gently till it sets (30s 60s)? Clamping? lightly clamping with plastic spring clamps? Or tight clamping with steel clamps or a vise?

Surface prep? nothing? IPA wipe down? Sanding?

Sometimes I use two sided foam tape. For that I find sanding, air blast, then clamping seems to help a lot. I even put CA glue down and then put on the foam tape.

For PETG I found polyurethane foaming glue to barely work at all - but @Arbutus mentioned using it.
 
Last edited:
What glue @PeterT or Anyone do you think works best with PETG? I have some "acrylic" glue I got at spool3d.ca and also just super glue. Clamping helps. It's only ok. I wish I had a better option. Perhaps I'm not prepping correctly?

I've only used PLA 3DP filament so cant comment much more on filaments. For fast cure, Weld-On #16 works quite well (and I use it on other plastics). But I've had comparable results with CA for that matter. I find the surface responds better with light sanding. It only needs enough clamping to keep the joint together. Arbutus is exactly right about the energy state classifications of plastics. Unfortunately when you get into mant of those (slang) greasy plastics, basically nothing works. Well, I've come accross industrial primers engineered for these materials but you dont wanna know how much they cost.

1783546996065.png
 
I've only used PLA 3DP filament so cant comment much more on filaments. For fast cure, Weld-On #16 works quite well (and I use it on other plastics). But I've had comparable results with CA for that matter. I find the surface responds better with light sanding. It only needs enough clamping to keep the joint together. Arbutus is exactly right about the energy state classifications of plastics. Unfortunately when you get into mant of those (slang) greasy plastics, basically nothing works. Well, I've come accross industrial primers engineered for these materials but you dont wanna know how much they cost.

View attachment 84039
Yes, when I said "Acrylic" glue that is what I meant, IPS weld-on #16. Horrible smell. It's ok, but it's not as strong as the plastic part.
 
A few questions about the chart @Arbutus - Very nice BTW.

I note thick or medium CA is recommended as thin CA wicks away - I will try that.

Methyl Methacrylate (MMA) is recommended for structural PETG to PETG joints. That stuff was in the news recently. However, what practical product is available in a small quantity for a reasonable price and from whom?
 
It looks like my planned Bambu 2PS Combo is at least a month away, maybe two. No stock.

In the meantime, I find myself hungering for knowledge about filaments.

What is best for what?
What to avoid?
Best General Purpose Filament
Special Considerations
Shelf life & recommended storage.
Special Applications
Colour Availability by type
Cost Considerations
Etc etc

Has anyone got such a list or table already that they would like to share?

Input Received:

Filament is best on plastic rolls with RFID not Cardboard

PLA - best all round for newbies. Get Black, White, Grey, and wife's fav colour.

Be careful about Carbon Fiber. Some users report that it separates easily, but the carbon microfiber significantly improve the inter-layer bond, like millions of tiny zippers locking together.

PLA has some moisture problems. Moisture proof storage containers and dessicant or dryers help.

Nylon is VERY moisture sensitive.
I think PLA has very few moisture problems, unless it's PLA silk or wood. Bambu doesn't even recommend drying for PLA basic.
 
Back
Top