• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Face Mill recommendations please

Tool

Stellrammer

With aluminum speed is wide open until chip welding starts to occur, you can spin that cutter to 1500 rpm with those inserts if you had enough power, as fast as you can hand crank it.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I agree with @Stellrammer,

You can push that cutter as fast as you like with those inserts, then feed it as fast as your power feed will take it if you want to run with coolant.
Just don't try them inserts on any types of steels.

With your mill,
I would keep that cutter in around the 900 RPM range ( I wouldn't push it more than that with that cutter Diameter ) and feed it in around 30 IPM taking .02-.03 DOC in 6061 until you have about .01-.015 left for finishing.
Turn the inserts, finish with the desired feed rate for the surface finish you are trying to achieve. Turn the inserts back for roughing the next piece.

Also on your mill,
Back everything down if you have a part with interrupted cuts such as the part you were experimenting on. ( Be it aluminum or steels)
Always leave the holes, pockets etc for later if possible.
That will save you $$ on inserts until you find inserts that can handle interrupted cuts much better.

Last edited:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
You have a much better set-up here. Although, I myself, don't like anything to sit on the bottom of the vice when machining. Especially aluminum bar stock , HRS, etc.

I prefer things up on parallels in a vice. This will help eliminate vibration when things aren't squared up., then of course, comes chatter...

I like your buildup with the block & feeler gauges, whatever works to keep things stable on your mill. You will come up with many variations that will work for you.

I would also make up some aluminum soft jaws for your vice. They will certainly help you. You don't want them too much higher than the original vice jaws themselves thou. No more than 1/4" to be safe, if your milling a step into them for holding.
Mild steel jaws for metal.
Then your all set.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
With my goto PC finally repaired (power supply died) I can finally respond to @slow-poke s post which prompted me to get one. Also @Susquatch for kindly offering me a surplus arbor, thank you both for that.

So I bought the face mill then I removed 5/32" from the arbor plug end so it would bottom properly in the face mill. Next I made a 0.85" diameter plug with 3/8" hole for the face mill bottom end plus 2 new locking lugs for the arbor/face mill connection. As a precaution I chased the 3/8" x 16 threads then cleaned the arbor to remove hand oils. Applied a fresh wipe of gun blue to make it look purdy, yah I'm a fussy old codger. So here's the project in photos.

Attachments

• 20230221_091600.jpg
    20230221_091600.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2023-03-18 12.40.45.jpg
    2023-03-18 12.40.45.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 5
  • 2023-03-18 12.41.12.jpg
    2023-03-18 12.41.12.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2023-03-18 12.36.56.jpg
    2023-03-18 12.36.56.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2023-03-18 15.08.02.jpg
    2023-03-18 15.08.02.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 2023-03-23 11.10.57.jpg
    2023-03-23 11.10.57.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2023-03-23 11.07.23.jpg
    2023-03-23 11.07.23.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2023-03-23 11.19.40.jpg
    2023-03-23 11.19.40.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
With my goto PC finally repaired (power supply died) I can finally respond to @slow-poke s post which prompted me to get one. Also @Susquatch for kindly offering me a surplus arbor, thank you both for that.

Looks awesome Dusty! Glad I could help.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

So I bought the face mill then I removed 5/32" from the arbor plug end so it would bottom properly in the face mill. Next I made a 0.85" diameter plug with 3/8" hole for the face mill bottom end plus 2 new locking lugs for the arbor/face mill connection. As a precaution I chased the 3/8" x 16 threads then cleaned the arbor to remove hand oils. Applied a fresh wipe of gun blue to make it look purdy, yah I'm a fussy old codger. So here's the project in photos.
Haven't heard from you for a while Dusty it seems? Nice to see you're busy in the shop again. How's the knees doing?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Which face mill and inserts did you get?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@DPittman said Haven't heard from you for a while Dusty it seems? Nice to see you're busy in the shop again. How's the knees doing?

Where to start, my Surgeon, Internist and family doctor gave me the go ahead with local driving late November 2022. For safety reasons I decided not to drive until spring besides that my bum knee continues with too much water retention and discomfort like today. Tomorrow I'm into hospital for an ECG as my blood pressure is heading in the wrong direction. Monday our highend furnace craped out (secondary heat exchanger) new heat exchanger to be installed tomorrow afternoon. Parts under warranty not the labor. Couple of weeks back it was the power supply in my PC. Everything runs in 3's they say whoever they are?

Outside of that I am fine wanting to get back in my shop, thanks for asking. Take care and play safe.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@YYCHM hey Craig, bought my face mill through Amazon.ca - ACCUSIZE store before prices take another jump. Reason why I say that is this, Accusize is long overdue putting out a new 2023-2024 catalogue so I bought my face mill to save some coin before they do. My mill/drill instructions recommends 2 5/8" diameter max, I went with the 3" dia face mill for the 1" arbor hole should work. As for inserts (see below) I'm planning on ordering them tonight. Hope this helps

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Our mother lived to 100 years and I'm trying my darndest to follow her. Dang leg might get to me first. LOL
Yup genetics are a major factor in determining your life span. 100 year old mother, lucky you. I ain't so lucky in the genetics department, but damn did I ever wind big in good looks and modesty! Cheers to you making 100!

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Keep it up Dusty, 100 is a great goal!

I'm really pleased with my new Face Mill cutter, better than expected results.