Excello 602 Power Feed Repair

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Spin training was in a Piper something or other.

This is what killed my young man's dream to build and fly a home built amphibious plane.

No way was I EVER gunna deliberately put a plane into a spin just to prove I could pull out of it. I even bought plans. They were given away when I was told spin training was not optional.

I always loved flying. But now it's just an hour or two on MSoft Flight Simulator or a flight or two piloting an RC chopper.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
No way was I EVER gunna deliberately put a plane into a spin just to prove I could pull out of it. I even bought plans. They were given away when I was told spin training was not optional.

Sounds like me and sky diving or bungee jumping for that matter. Wife gave me money to take sky diving lessons one year, I bought a fly rod instead:p

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
My flight training started in London, then Goderich and finishing in Stratford.
It can be an expensive habit, but, pilots have a common desire to get airborne.
It led to a few invitations to the flight deck of 747s while crossing the Atlantic and travelling to Europe for work (Pre 9/11, of course). I took a Cessna on a memorable flight over the Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Australia, near Cairns.

When I was dating my wife I took her up for a short scenic flight around the Stratford area and she proceeded to vomit on me and pass out. I proceeded to hold her up with one hand and land the plane with the other. I thought it was time to step back from flying, buy a house and concentrate on my new career as a mechanical designer.

Note: ‘Spin-training’ is used so that you recognize that the plane is in a dangerous attitude and your control can diminish quickly If you do not make proper adjustments to the controls.

After a twenty year absence . . .
I have joined the ’Kitchener Waterloo Recreational Aircraft Association’ just to get some updates about aviation issues and plane ownership in this era.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
When flying if you want to go up, pull back on the stick,,,,,,, to go down, pull back more! I loved burning holes in the sky and throwing my Dad's Luscombe for a loop - literally. :D

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
When flying if you want to go up, pull back on the stick,,,,,,, to go down, pull back more! I loved burning holes in the sky and throwing my Dad's Luscombe for a loop - literally. :D

Ya, can't imagine using a stick. Yoke yes, stick not so much. Son bought me an hours worth of F18 simulator time for x-mas :rolleyes:, will see how that goes:p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

@Susquatch,​

Why didn't you get an Ercoupe?

I think you are having fun with me but I'll humour you anyway....

The fact that they don't really spin didn't stop me from being scared to death of spinning in whatever plane I would have had to get my license in........

Well, that is not the complete truth. Might also be because they don't land on water very well......

The seawind I wanted to build didn't stall. It would just plow. Or as I recall, some described it as wallowing. It was a pusher so lots of things were quite different.

Anyway, it really was spin training that turned me off. I hate circus rides. Even a ferris wheel gives me the willies. In fact, I almost passed out looking down through the glass floor at the top of the CN tower. I guess that sounds quite odd since I do love to fly. But they are different in some way that I simply can't explain.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Even a ferris wheel gives me the willies. In fact, I almost passed out looking down through the glass floor at the top of the CN tower. I guess that sounds quite odd since I do love to fly. But they are different in some way that I simply can't explain.

Ha, you sound like me:p I hate heights, yet I took up flying for some reason. There is just no way I'm gonna jump out of perfectly good plane. As long as I have walls on either side of me I'm fine. My wife on the other hand was almost on her hands and knees when we visited the grand canyon, yet she took up sky diving briefly?

SparWeb

Hi Susquatch,
I was sort-of pulling your leg. I actually know what you mean. I've been in several spins myself. Each time - the only way I can describe it is my own brain's internal gyros tumbled, and stayed tumbled for a while after. I love flying, too, but could not maintain orientation during a spin no matter how many times my instructor exposed me to it. And that was in my 20's. Now I'm a wee bit older - I have no hope of ever handling a spin. I would gravitate to certified aircraft only, so that at least I'd know I should have a chance at recovery, and the odds of a spin are small no matter how hard I screwed up. In full-cert planes you are vastly more likely to be in a disorientation/spiral dive kind of accident if you make a smoking hole. Not that it's much consolation to anyone. Follow a rigid set of rules and you won't get into that situation.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't actually get a Seawind.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Consider yourself lucky you didn't actually get a Seawind.

Hmmmm. Perhaps you know something I don't. Why do you say that?
As long as I have walls on either side of me I'm fine.

That's a GREAT WAY to put it. I'd only add that I don't mind a nice big window. Just not one that I might break and fall through.......

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My flying boils down to twice, a little Cessna back in the 60's and a chopper ride in a Stars Helicopter. My opinion is that somebody has to stay on the ground to call 911 for the other guy. I don't even go more than 3 steps up on a ladder.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I went for a ride-a-long with a student pilot who was putting his hours in on a small Cessna . We did several stalls and tail slides. What a ride. can't imagine a spin.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I went for a ride-a-long with a student pilot who was putting his hours in on a small Cessna . We did several stalls and tail slides. What a ride. can't imagine a spin.

I used to ride along with my mom's brother in a Cessna who needed the hours. Then my supervisor who needed the hours in his own cessna. Then recently with my brother in law who tolerated me in his chopper because I keep his wife's sister happy. I LOVE CHOPPERS!

If any of them had deliberately spun or stalled or otherwise caused me to contemplate the duration of my continued existence, I would have crapped all over the inside of those birds rendering them useless and unflyable by another human for at least 150 years.

Thankfully, they didn't do that. But they all regularly did let me take the controls, and I loved it.

LenVW

Premium Member
One of my flight instructors was a ‘crazy bush pilot’ from Dryden, Ontario.
He used to love doing spins and side slips and he used to say . . .
The only time you can legally perform a ‘Spin’ is during flight training, once you are licensed someone can report you for being a hazard to others.

**Back to Tool & Die** . . . Anybody ran across some deals on Indexable Flycutters ?
Here in Kitchener we have SOWA Tool but they are pricey.
KBC Tools in Mississauga is another that I know of already.
Any others I can check out ?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Anybody ran across some deals on Indexable Flycutters ?
Here in Kitchener we have SOWA Tool but they are pricey.
KBC Tools in Mississauga is another that I know of already.
Any others I can check out ?

I have been looking at getting one too. So far the only reasonable pricing I have found is on Ali and Bangood. I prefer to buy Canada but have not been able to find anything reasonable. That hasn't really been an issue for me just yet because I have several HSS Fly Cutters that work just fine.

That gives me lots of time to research the subject before actually pressing the buy button.

Do you really mean fly cutter or did you mean face cutter? Not that I really know the difference. I guess I just think of a fly cutter as just one cutting tip on a balanced tool (usually HSS), and a face cutter as a multi-tip cutter (usually indexable carbide) that is inherently balanced. LOL!

LenVW

Premium Member
I have been looking at getting one too. So far the only reasonable pricing I have found is on Ali and Bangood. I prefer to buy Canada but have not been able to find anything reasonable. That hasn't really been an issue for me just yet because I have several HSS Fly Cutters that work just fine.

That gives me lots of time to research the subject before actually pressing the buy button.

Do you really mean fly cutter or did you mean face cutter? Not that I really know the difference. I guess I just think of a fly cutter as just one cutting tip on a balanced tool (usually HSS), and a face cutter as a multi-tip cutter (usually indexable carbide) that is inherently balanced. LOL!

I have quite a few delta carbide inserts and was looking for a face & fly cutter.
(You may be thinking of flycutters that have a single HSS tip cutter)
The indexable cutters use carbide inserts with multiple cutting edges.

LenVW

Premium Member
This is awesome ! Do you have any idea what happen with the company documents (mostly drawing) when they stopped production ?

I emailed that guy, thank you for that.

I am unfortunately in the Ottawa region. Our location should really show under our name.

Now, does anyone have a source for a DP16 PA20 #7 gear cutter. I emailed a bunch of Chinese provider without success, they seem to only have hob in that format. For some unknown reason, KBC only list #2, #3, #4 and #8 :oops:. There is a 2 listing on ebay that look promising, but they are located in the UK.

There is also one guy around Toronto that have a 36" spline shaft and the gear, but he is asking 220$ + shipping. I could probably use the spline shaft with a extension and the gear but I would still need to make the feed coupler (that slide on the shaft). I think I prefer to spend the money on tooling and spend 6 months making my own.

Did you get any answers from Roy at Preston Rebuilt Machinery ?
He can get busy, let me know and I can stop by his shop.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have quite a few delta carbide inserts and was looking for a face & fly cutter.
(You may be thinking of flycutters that have a single HSS tip cutter)
The indexable cutters use carbide inserts with multiple cutting edges.

I've been milling on a drill press with quill bearings and an old column mill-drill that's prolly similar to what others call an RF30 for years. But I'm new to milling with a nice Bridgeport Clone machine now. So I'm still learning.

This is what I call a fly cutter. I have several. They do a nice job if I keep the hss tool sharp.

Screenshot_20220102-165531_Amazon Shopping.jpg

And this is what I call a face cutter. Although Accusize calls it an endmill. I'd like one like this to feed a bit faster, but I'm not really taken with the triangular carbide tips on this one. I think (not really sure) that a double point tip (square) would do a better job.

Screenshot_20220102-165332_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Both photos are from Accusize in Toronto.

Here is the square carbide tip version I'm leaning towards.

Screenshot_20220102-170835_AliExpress.jpg

Most of the YouTube videos I have watched call the last two a face cutter. Prolly because very few will cut along an deep edge and they are mostly used for surface milling.

Anyway, the point of my post was to ask you to keep me apprised of what you learn and any deals you encounter.

LenVW

Premium Member
Now I understand.
The ACCUSIZE 3” is an indexable carbide insert cutter that I used to make for Ex-Cell-O back in the 1980s. They are production class tools and the speeds and feeds are vastly higher then used for single point HSS tools.
I will keep looking for a 1” dia. (2 insert) milling tool. Anything larger and I risk going through fuses on my KING 3/4hp mill.
I will let you know if I find any deals.