• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool ER40 collet nut

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
by the way, how do you insert a member's name when you want to reply to an individual, like you just did? I'm not too good at this kind of stuff
You put an "@" symbol in front of their username. As in @garageguy.

Doing so will also send them an alert.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@garageguy . I have an er32 set. You can insert them behind the retainer ring without tipping and then snapping, but it is very difficult. Similarly removing them requires a great deal of force if you don't tip them. The tipping is by design so they don't come apart by accident and so they can be pulled out of the taper.

Can you post a photo of your modifications so we can look at what you did and either give you some faith or encouragement to go get a new collet nut and or holder.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Last fall or maybe this winter I was finding that some of the metric end mills all had 6mm shanks but were of course different sizes. So I ordered a set of 3 ER-20 6mm collets through aliexpress. The interesting thing the order included a nut.

So I'd suggest looking around to see if buying a few collets of the same size will result in a collet nut too.
ER20Collets_Nut.jpg

Last edited:
oh no. Is that off-center flange designed that way to capture the collet? Does the collet need to be snapped into the nut before threading onto the body?
Yes, when I bought my first set the company showed me, saved me your frustration. Second thing is that retaining lip also pulls it free to release it.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
@Susquatch , yes I can post a pic of my foolishness. haha All I really did was put the nut in the lathe and cut out the flange. It's over at my shop so can't do it till tomorrow. I did not know about the different wrench styles either. (not surprising huh). Good info here