• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool ER40 collet nut

Tool

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Hi guys, I have a question about er40 collets. My milling machine has an R8 spindle so I bought an R8-er40 collet off ebay. I stupidly got one of the cheaper sets with collets etc, and when I got it I tried to assemble it with one of the collets and found that I couldn't even get the nut to thread on. I understand that the nut and collet are supposed to click together, right? Not a chance! Man is this thing junk! So I look inside the nut and there is a flange or a ring inside that is machined way out of concentricity to the bore of the nut. I have no idea how they screwed that up so spectacularly. So now my options are limited. Try to send it back to get another one, taking who knows how long (cross border and all) or just stick it in the lathe and butcher it up to make it useable. so that s what I did. cut the flange out completely, and assembled it in my mill with a end mill and checked runout. .002" . wow . the piece of junk is better than I thought. Still not happy, so what I am wondering is if it is worth trying to find just a nut? Are these nuts all the same thread etc? what would you do? Just run it and fugedaboudit?

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
this is the first time i've had anything to do with ER collets. Did I just screw up a perfectly good er40 nut? I feel like I need some educatin"

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

KEVIN_D

A grinder and paint make the fabricator I ain't!
I have had one bad arbor show up to my door. And it too was way off, definitely a lemon. Everything else I have had shipped from china has been of excellent quality. Although, I generally don't pay the lowest price.

You do understand the Nut and Collet click together by tipping and pushing the collet into the nut before installation onto the arbor? I've seen guys just tighten the nut onto the arbor and collet and really mess the nut up. The ring that retains the collet in the nut is quite eccentric by design.

As for run out mine generally were under half a thousandth (0.0003") if I recall out of the box. But how you tighten the collet, proper collet/endmill sizing, tapping the endmill into concentricity... etc all did matter. IE metric collets to inch size endmills weren't nearly as good as metric-metric or inch-inch size combos.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
oh no. Is that off-center flange designed that way to capture the collet? Does the collet need to be snapped into the nut before threading onto the body?

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
OK ,boy am I embarrassed. Thanks so much for the info guys. I guess it's still kinda useable but what a stupid thing to do. Needed to do more research. Thanks again to all you guys for the help.

gerritv

Gerrit
you are not the first, and not the last to come to this spot with ER collets :) The prime reason for the ridge is to capture the collet to pull it out of the taper, they often 'lock' in a bit when properly tightened. And properly tightened is considerable with ER40.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
you are not the first, and not the last to come to this spot with ER collets :) The prime reason for the ridge is to capture the collet to pull it out of the taper, they often 'lock' in a bit when properly tightened. And properly tightened is considerable with ER40.
Dead on. In fact you can loosen a collet nut so that it is finger movable and yet the item in the collet is stuck tight. Keep loosening the nut and it hits a difficult to turn with fingers point again. Another 1/4 turn or so and the collet is now loose and what's in it can be slid out.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Did I just screw up a perfectly good er40 nut?
I’m afraid you probably did.

Looks like others have already helped you out…

I would buy a new nut. The nut is very important in that collet system. You will most likely get much better runout than the 0.002” you measured with your modified nut.

Your vendor probably sells nuts separately. I’d contact them to see what they say.

Good luck.

Last edited:

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
I'll start looking for a new nut. I take it ER40's all have the same thread ? The old one will go in the "stupid" bin. I kinda feel bad about slagging the vendor"s goods without knowing what I'm talking about. Apologies to him whoever he is.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @garageguy, I'm late to the party. Looks like you already have your answers.

I am of the view that your collet holder probably can't be rescued. Even if it does hold and release, it probably won't hold well enough EVERY TIME.

If you can't get a nut as per @RobinHood s suggestion, you might be able to get the whole R8 collet holder with a nut and just keep all your collets.

It's a very common mistake. I'd only add that tipping the collet is almost essential to installing or removing it.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Kevin D Yeah, I did not know to snap the collet into the nut first. Fortunately for the tooling ,I did know enough to not force it , so all the other parts are OK. sheesh* sometimes I find that I know just enough to be dangerous.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Susquatch, the tipping thing makes sense, and that would be why the nut would only go on about 1/2 a thread. And yeah, not an expensive screw-up but a great learning experience. I really like this bunch.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
by the way, how do you insert a member's name when you want to reply to an individual, like you just did? I'm not too good at this kind of stuff