• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Emco Maximat Super 11

gerritv

Gerrit
A friend bought a comparator from Winnipeg and did LTL to Hamilton. Approx 120 or so for the shipping. $250 for this 6C with those 3 lenses is a deal not seen too often even in Ontario. Ask if he'll ship

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Assuming it gets here undamaged. 300$ in gas to go get it in the Mazda for assured damage free. sigh. not this month,.

gerritv

Gerrit
Assuming it gets here undamaged. 300$ in gas to go get it in the Mazda for assured damage free. sigh. not this month,.
If you assume the worst, then that is what will happen :) It's not difficult to crate one of these to prevent damage. I have spare bulbs for you. And a design for 3D printed t-slot mounted vblock, cloned from Mitutoyo.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
they're as common as ticks around here
As good a price as the one in Ottawa? Perhaps I can arrange a purchase one day and get someone to store it until I can come back... I get back around once per year these days. I hope my next drive will be uneventful!!

It's not difficult to crate one of these to prevent damage.
I'm just worried about someone that doesn't know how, and I get an unusable one for all the costs.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
IF I knew pe
As good a price as the one in Ottawa? Perhaps I can arrange a purchase one day and get someone to store it until I can come back... I get back around once per year these days. I hope my next drive will be uneventful!!

I'm just worried about someone that doesn't know how, and I get an unusable one for all the costs.
If I knew people wanted them I'd have been buying them all. Yes great prices.

I keep debating buying one, but I dont have a real use or space for one. but they come up so damn often, even in hick little country auctions.

I could manage to store one to hold for you if you wanted.

eotrfish

Super User
Hope the buyer really knew what he was getting. Looks like it was cobbled together with new and used parts.
Tailstock is not original.
Missing banjo cover on LH of headstock.
Missing knob on cross feed.
Carriage drive rod does not reach the drive rod / leadscrew mount on the right hand side.
Looks like there used to be an E-stop mounted on the headstock faceplate - now missing in action.

Good project lathe if the ways are good.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@eotrfish - looks like the carriage drive rod isn't even there. Not being familiar with EMCO I never noticed all that is missing or wrong. Looking at lathes.uk the tailstock looks correct, maybe just not from this machine.
Maybe not such a good deal.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've heard mostly yes but sometimes no. Taiwan did produce similar ENCO lathes & ENCO tooling usually through N-Am distributers back in the day. Then some ENCO's started showing up from mainland China either as clones or possibly outsourced, not really sure. But they were of generally lower quality.

EMCO-Maier afaik were always only made in Austria, but even that seems to be shrouded because I have definitely seen the Maier & Taiwan in the same title. Now was that name brand ripoff like a one-armed 'Henkle' knife, or certain models were agreeably outsourced? Its a crazy world.

I lusted for an EMCO-Maier when I was a teen, but alas, it never materialized.
Here is a picture of my lathe I just sold. It was rebranded as a King Canada but it also had Enco manufacturing label on it as well as the green color seen on many EMCO models. My lathe was definitely the common and typical Asian 12x36 lathe. It was unknown if it was Taiwanese or not though.

Attachments

• 20221115_182650.jpg
    20221115_182650.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221115_182615.jpg
    20221115_182615.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited: