• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Emco Maximat Super 11

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

6edb1dcd-2cd4-4dd3-af6e-5ffe1bb0dece

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Yah know this always happens when you buy a new lathe, another comes along that taunts you

The price is non-negotiable people, BUT you can ask the seller to toss in the Nikon Optical comparator that they also have listed for $250.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
ENCO being one of the generic Taiwan machines.
I've heard mostly yes but sometimes no. Taiwan did produce similar ENCO lathes & ENCO tooling usually through N-Am distributers back in the day. Then some ENCO's started showing up from mainland China either as clones or possibly outsourced, not really sure. But they were of generally lower quality.

EMCO-Maier afaik were always only made in Austria, but even that seems to be shrouded because I have definitely seen the Maier & Taiwan in the same title. Now was that name brand ripoff like a one-armed 'Henkle' knife, or certain models were agreeably outsourced? Its a crazy world.

I lusted for an EMCO-Maier when I was a teen, but alas, it never materialized.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
In the 80's Emco outsourced some production to Taiwan on the smaller machines like the compact 5 and 8. They were quickly copied and were the basis for many of the mini lathes we see today. The new Grizzly/SB Heavy 10 is almost a direct copy of the Emco Super 11.

All of the larger machines like the S11 and V13 were made in Austria.

gerritv

Gerrit
The Nikon 6C is a bargain, esp, with the rotating glass. I have a 6, converted to LED for added brightness.
Once you get one of these you wonder how you ever did without one. Great for deciphering carbide inserts and fixing the A60 tip widths.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yah know this always happens when you buy a new lathe, another comes along that taunts you

The price is non-negotiable people, BUT you can ask the seller to toss in the Nikon Optical comparator that they also have listed for $250.

5k for a Super 11 in todays market is a good deal. He will have no problem getting it. This isn't really the machine to be trying to chisel the guy down.