Eclipse

Raygers

Premium Member
I spent a couple of hours at Susquatches location, I finally met the man himself :) My and families first totality viewing, despite less than perfect conditions it was a very memorable experience. One thing we noticed was a loud "boom" like thunder during the totality. Did anyone else hear that? Does it follow the eclipse "down the line" so to speak? From what I can gather and using what I know about science, When the eclipse happened the air cooled rapidly in the local vicinity, causing a low pressure area and then the warmer air outside of this area rushed in to replace the vacuum causing a loud "boom" heard throughout the area.
Alcohol was involved in this posting

Tecnico

(Dave)
Ms. Tecnico and I zipped up to Bouctouche NB for the afternoon. We had severe clear skies** and a nice warm day for the show. Well worth her playing hookey for the afternoon! Lucked in on a great viewing spot and not too crazy traffic.

I MacGuyvered a couple of indirect viewers to compliment the commercial sunglasses and allow for photography. The Mk 1 versions worked out pretty well but I’d make some improvements if I did it again. Maybe more & photos later, nothing downloaded yet.

Anyhow we had a great view of the eclipse including the very cool totality. Like others have said, it’s unique and special. The darkness was amazing and surprising how cold it got in a few minutes.

OK, the ** part. Shortly after totality was breaking up a big, high cloud passed by and we got some unexpected views through it, consider it a bonus on top of the clear view of totality. Then it cleared up for the rest of the afternoon.

My last eclipse was the one Carly Simon sang about and it was cloudy so this was worth waiting for!

D :cool:

Last edited:

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I would have to say you don't really experience a solar eclipse until you see the totality. At totality everything goes dark. You can look directly at the sun at totality naked eye and see the dark disk of the moon blocking it. It is really surreal. I can understand why in the distant past there was all kinds of superstition around it. It just looks unholy.
I was in Winnipeg in 1979 (100%), and in Ottawa yesterday (99%), and there like two completely different experiences. A partial eclipse even 99% is marginally cool, a total eclipse is downright eerie. The change in temperature, wind and light during totality is quite something.

This video demonstrates it quite well.

Last edited:

kstrauss

I spent a couple of hours at Susquatches location, I finally met the man himself :) My and families first totality viewing, despite less than perfect conditions it was a very memorable experience. One thing we noticed was a loud "boom" like thunder during the totality. Did anyone else hear that? Does it follow the eclipse "down the line" so to speak? From what I can gather and using what I know about science, When the eclipse happened the air cooled rapidly in the local vicinity, causing a low pressure area and then the warmer air outside of this area rushed in to replace the vacuum causing a loud "boom" heard throughout the area.
Alcohol was involved in this posting
It wasn't the cooling that caused the boom but rather the absence of sunlight pressure that stopped forcing the air out of your area. It is a well known fact that light pressure is very important to determining the weather.

Ironman

Ultra Member
In the past?! I've been reading about all kinds of fruit loops & whackos who are predicting gloom & doom with this eclipse. Normally, this wouldn't bother me in the least. However, these idiots frickin' vote!
Yes, and we are seeing the their results.
Out here, we were supposed to see this as a partial 11:45to 12:45. I was welding a cattle panel, threw on my shades and welders helmet and meh, nothing at 12. At almost 12:30 we saw a part shadow covering the bottom left and by 12:45 it was done.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One thing we noticed was a loud "boom" like thunder during the totality. Did anyone else hear that?

I did notice that boom. Prolly the same one you heard.

I will ask my friend Peter about it since he was here too.

It was so similar to the booms we hear routinely in the area, that I took no particular notice of it. My bad. I should have paid more attention.

That same noise is heard regularly here. It is usually associated with demolition at a nearby site. Sometimes we even hear blasting. So it never occurred to me that it might be an Eclipse phenomenon.

I can still hear it in my mind. So I will do some more research. I did find references on-line to both cooling and solar pressure. But nothing I would consider even remotely scientifically robust.

That said, it really isn't that hard for me to imagine the huge forces involved in such a rapid cooling of such a large swath of air mass. As a subset of very technical machinists interested in things like eclipses, let's all collectively see what we can find and figure out!

Tecnico

(Dave)
Update:

We didn't hear a "boom", maybe if we knew to listen we'd have noticed. Interesting though and I found a few links that talk about it: Link 1, Link 2, Link 3, @Susquatch , I can't speak to the quality of their science.

I also got a few photos:

Our rigs: On the right using a pair of binoculars to project an image on a back plane, on the left leaning on the chair, a tube with a 1.25 diopter lens projecting on the view plane and in the middle of it all Kira guarding the rear flank. The folks behind sounded like they were from South America.

I built a couple of rigs because I didn't know what would work and since the weekend was cloudy I couldn't test.

TW-42.jpg

The lens in a tube gives an image like this:

TW-43.jpg

We had a bit of a breeze going so it gave a more stable image than the tripod/binocular viewer.

The binocular rig:
TW-44.jpg

The binocular viewer gave a pretty good image between breeze gusts and after I figured out settings to get a good image with the camera.

Totality!

This is just a straight photo using my camera. It didn't capture exactly what we saw (auto-metering), there's more flaring and less detail compared to the naked eye image. Pretty awesome though! With the naked eye there was a small bright spot to the lower left at about 7 o'clock through totality, maybe a flare? I think some talked about a diamond? There's that cloud approaching.......

TW-45.jpg

And the cloud. Again the camera decided how it wanted to take the photo but interesting still.

TW-46.jpg

In case anyone is interested in the rigs for next time in Spain/Portugal......

The binocular rig is pretty simple, basically hard mounted to a board with a projection screen of card stock inside a (mostly) light proof box. It's on topic for the forum because I used the mill to make the tripod adapter and binocular mount.:D It's hard to see but there's an aiming pointer on the front plane that projects a shadow on the front of the trap door.

TW-47.jpg

The tube viewer is pretty basic, some DWV and some gas tubing with a 1.25 diopter lens from a pair of Wallyworld reading glasses behind a 1/2" hole in the front plane and projecting on the back plane. Easy to make at the last minute with things on hand and I was really pleased with the image, much better than the recommended pinhole camera. Focus is adjusted by sliding the tubes in /out, the cardboard is a shade. We leaned it up against a chair for aiming!

TW-48.jpg

The parts - pretty basic: tubing, cardboard, paper, a tin can and a lens! I was lucky to have all the bits on hand.

TW-49.jpg

I can't claim any credit for the ideas behind the rigs but they were fun to make and play with and we were pleased with the results. Maybe something more refined for next time in Spain....
D :cool:

Last edited:

lucsimoneau

Just to add my take on it - being from Sherbrooke QC I watched the event from my back yard ... it was unreal. No clouds, perfect weather, totality for 3-1/2 minutes, it was great. Brought the camera out but was too caught up in admiring the view that I didn't even take a picture. Even became a bit emotional :) Once in a lifetime event for sure.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A few more photos from family and friends who were here.

A nice shot of solar flares around the edge. Hard to imagine that as small as they are, they are bigger than the earth!

Screenshot_20240409_205140_Textra.jpg

The same shot at different exposure settings.

Screenshot_20240409_205237_Textra.jpg

My pond in the twilight. Nice reflection.

Screenshot_20240409_205437_Photos.jpg

Nice photo to show how dark the forest got.

Screenshot_20240409_205700_Signal.jpg

Below is a good comparison of the forest in twilight vs the full darkness of the eclipse on the shot above.

Screenshot_20240409_205813_Signal.jpg

Ironman

Ultra Member
Finally!! A Solar Eclipse explained on a schoolgirl level. I always thought the moon was made of green cheese.o_O:p

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, misinformed a group of high school students in Houston that the moon is a "planet" that is "made up mostly of gases."
Jackson Lee, who once led the House Science Committee’s space subcommittee, made several false statements that stunned a crowd of teenagers at Booker T. Washington High School in Houston during Monday’s solar eclipse.
"You’ve heard the word ‘full moon,’" Jackson Lee told the students who were with her on a sports field before the eclipse. "Sometimes, you need to take the opportunity just to come out and see a full moon is that complete-rounded circle, which is made up mostly of gases. And that’s why the question is why or how could we as humans live on the moon? Are the gases such that we could do that?"

The congressional representative continued, saying, "The sun is a mighty powerful heat, but it’s almost impossible to go near the sun. The moon is more manageable."
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee told a group of Houston high school students the Moon was a planet and made up of gases. (Sheila Jackson Lee X)
Jackson Lee continued making several statements that were questionable. In one statement, she told students the moon not only reflects the sun’s light but also emits "unique light and energy."

"You have the energy of the moon at night," Jackson Lee said.
In another statement, she misstated how solar eclipses happen.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Finally!! A Solar Eclipse explained on a schoolgirl level. I always thought the moon was made of green cheese.o_O:p

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, misinformed a group of high school students in Houston that the moon is a "planet" that is "made up mostly of gases."
Jackson Lee, who once led the House Science Committee’s space subcommittee, made several false statements that stunned a crowd of teenagers at Booker T. Washington High School in Houston during Monday’s solar eclipse.
"You’ve heard the word ‘full moon,’" Jackson Lee told the students who were with her on a sports field before the eclipse. "Sometimes, you need to take the opportunity just to come out and see a full moon is that complete-rounded circle, which is made up mostly of gases. And that’s why the question is why or how could we as humans live on the moon? Are the gases such that we could do that?"

The congressional representative continued, saying, "The sun is a mighty powerful heat, but it’s almost impossible to go near the sun. The moon is more manageable."

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee told a group of Houston high school students the Moon was a planet and made up of gases. (Sheila Jackson Lee X)
Jackson Lee continued making several statements that were questionable. In one statement, she told students the moon not only reflects the sun’s light but also emits "unique light and energy."

"You have the energy of the moon at night," Jackson Lee said.
In another statement, she misstated how solar eclipses happen.
Without going into the verboten topic of politics, how does someone this dumb and/or uneducated get elected?

Without going into the verboten topic of politics, how does someone this dumb and/or uneducated get elected?
........ well, without going into too much detail... Picture if you can, the average human, pretty disappointing huh. Now, consider that 50% of the population is below average.......:oops:
Some people are like slinkies, neither serves a practical purpose, but both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.....:rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

There is an old saying that I love. When something is too hard to believe, be skeptical.

Did she really say that? Or is this just more politics? Or more internet crap? Or more media BS.

Just call me skeptical.

JustaDB

Ultra Member