Eclipse

Anyone else following the eclipse? Right now here in Hamilton I have cloud cover just thick enough to totally obscure the sun. Satellite pics show a band of clouds between Kingston and London. That suggests @Susquatch has clear skies. I'm hoping the cloud cover here will shift to the east and put me in the clear just in time. Have my fingers crossed! Where is @Dabbler ? Isn't he chasing the eclipse?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Anyone else following the eclipse? Right now here in Hamilton I have cloud cover just thick enough to totally obscure the sun. Satellite pics show a band of clouds between Kingston and London. That suggests @Susquatch has clear skies. I'm hoping the cloud cover here will shift to the east and put me in the clear just in time. Have my fingers crossed! Where is @Dabbler ? Isn't he chasing the eclipse?

Yes, astronomy is one of my many hobbies. I am hosting a small group of Eclipse watchers here at my farm. This morning was ugly, but it has just cleared up and I'm hoping it stays that way.

I am located in Totality but just barely. Even if the weather stays clear, we will only get a half minute or so.

Dabbler has been watching the weather closely and decided his best bet was to head for Montreal right after the Ontario meetup. Last time I looked, it seems he made the right call and the weather in Montreal looks great!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Out here on the West Coast we're gonna mostly miss out and it's overcast in any event:(

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am planning on heading south from my place and find somewhere around the "path of totality" as they call it and enjoy the show, its partly cloudy here but you can still see the sun through the clouds with the glasses.

I would have to say you don't really experience a solar eclipse until you see the totality. At totality everything goes dark. You can look directly at the sun at totality naked eye and see the dark disk of the moon blocking it. It is really surreal. I can understand why in the distant past there was all kinds of superstition around it. It just looks unholy.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
z8qZTK1.jpg

Clouds broke for a couple minutes, and we got a pretty cool view of the partial before they rolled back again. Kids at home couldn't see anything but clouds for the most part.

Next one in 2044 I should be retired (62) and might be able to pull a Dabbler, and hit the road to check it out in Alberta.

Upnorth

I was outside during the eclipse today. Walking along the shore of Lake Superior. I think I read it was 83% obscured by the moon. It was not impressive although I admit the light was kind of weird. I went back to taking photos of wildlife. A total eclipse is much cooler. I think that a cloud going over the sun dims it more than it was dimmed by the moon today.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Things here were raining in the morning then suddenly beautifully perfect.

Chatham member @Raygers and a few of his family, a few of my friends, and some family and grandkids showed up just in time for the eclipse to close in along with a sky filled with high altitude clouds. Crap.

The highway out front had hundreds of roadside viewers all along the north shore of Lake Erie. I heard one of them actually made a campfire!

Despite that, the Eclipse made its presence known through the hazy clouds. It got surreal, suddenly very cold, and nature went crazy. The night frogs started chirping, birds disappeared, red colours faded and green exploded! Amazing and spectacular!

Here is a partial as the moon started across the sun.

Resized_20240408_144856_20240408_170854.jpeg

When the sun disappeared, the cloud cover formed a circular rainbow! My photo doesn't do it justice! The sun doesn't look eclipsed but it was. Just that's what the camera did to it.

20240408_150715.jpg

The only planet I could see through the clouds was Jupiter slightly above and slightly left of center in the photo below.

20240408_151644.jpg

I had hoped to glimpse Mercury and the comet Demon but it wasn't in the cards.

Here is one of a few photos of the Eclipse itself. There are lots of better ones on the net, but this is one of mine. The sun's atmosphere is clearly visible and alive.

20240408_151502.jpg

20240408_151623.jpg

Somehow I missed getting a photo of a jet contrail above the clouds that cast its shadow on the top of the clouds because of the way the clouds looked during the Eclipse. That was beautiful too, but no pics.

Very happy. It wasn't perfect, but it was spectacular!

Attachments

• 20240408_151559.jpg
    20240408_151559.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240408_151605.jpg
    20240408_151605.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240408_151502.jpg
    20240408_151502.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 4

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The eclipse was awesome once in a lifetime experience for me found a spot south of the 401 near Iroquois watched from about a quarter covered till a quarter after the total eclipse. What amazed me was how little of a sliver of the sun is needed to give a low light and how fast it went black and how quiet it was, going back and forth looking at the darkness then back to the eclipse and just like that it was over. Good use of a vacation day!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i took the time to check it out, it was only about 30% coverage of the sun here in calgary, cool either way!

What amazed me was how little of a sliver of the sun is needed to give a low light and how fast it went black and how quiet it was, going back and forth looking at the darkness then back to the eclipse and just like that it was over. Good use of a vacation day!
This also surprised me. I was watching the moon cover more and more of the sun until it seemed to cover the whole thing, but still it was not very dark. Then suddenly when the dark hit it was stunning.

Maker Mike

Premium Member
We drove from Toronto to Prince Edward County thinking the weather was going to be better there. It was mostly cloud cover, but I wouldn't have missed it. We had 3 minutes and 20 seconds of darkness and it was amazing. Went dark like switching a light switch.