• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DRO Mounting System

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well, I'll never have CNC so that's a perfect place for the DRO instead!

I'm not sure if this machine will ever be cnc controlled again either. I still have the servos and related parts. I never got the cnc control when I bought it.

The chip shields are original

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Good stuff Craig! Thank you for the link!

I have observed that you are pretty good at finding stuff like that! Even external stuff on marketplace, Kijiji & eBay.

Lots to learn from @John Conroy 's experience. Yup, thank you!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'll make a comment about measured precision and actual accuracy.

When selecting measuring equipment for your machinery consider the accuracy your machine is capable of and the repeatability. Most machines that we use use are are anywhere from 0.001 to 0.006 on average whish is good enough for about 99.5% of anything we do. Yes we can increase that by approaching from one direction only but how many do or know to do so. Even then eyeball estimation we get down to a tenth to 3 tenths. Good enough for about 99.98%of what we do.

How does this effect or selection. Easy, pick the cheapest that has the best repeatability (very important) with a precision of about 0.0001 to 0.0002 and you should be good. Second is waterproof (greatest water resistance) gives the advantage flood cooling (believe that everyone should add despite the mess issues as it greatly improves finishes and avoids using toxic oils and coolants, which eases parts cleanup) along with ease of custom fitment.

The consideration for DRO's is, is it for production (heavy long term use) or ease of use (careful long term use)?

Given this it should guide you as to the best selection.

Electronics well here it only becomes quality and if you want to interface it with something else.

Finally, if you plan on going CNC (definitely worth the money) don't waste the money or effort, skip DRO, a good servo or hybrid stepper systems provide measured DRO readings from the devices (I would recommend Teknic Clearpath SDSK servos here, power and accuracy) into the CNC display.

I think this is good advice.

I am not planning any CNC in my lifetime (at least as far as I can predict with any certainty), but never say never. However, I did get upgraded to 1 micron scales. Might not ever use it, but I doubt it would hurt me. They are also chip and liquid resistant. Not sure what that really means but I don't plan on using any coolant - just drip or manual spray on cutting fluids. Nothing special.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My x axis scale is 1 micron on my mill. They can drive you nuts. Thankfully you can limit the digits to tenths. Tenths is hard enough...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My x axis scale is 1 micron on my mill. They can drive you nuts. Thankfully you can limit the digits to tenths. Tenths is hard enough...
Hopefully I can limit to 10ths.....

Won't know till I play with it.

I think this is good advice.

I am not planning any CNC in my lifetime (at least as far as I can predict with any certainty), but never say never. However, I did get upgraded to 1 micron scales. Might not ever use it, but I doubt it would hurt me. They are also chip and liquid resistant. Not sure what that really means but I don't plan on using any coolant - just drip or manual spray on cutting fluids. Nothing special.
Glad you got waterproof, spray or drip still gets everywhere and into everything, thats how I started.

Even mist, even though its mostly air it still get moisture in everything. Flood well enough said. It clears chips and doesn't keep the compressor running.

1645333691485.jpeg
Only using 2 of the 3 jets.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Degen , I want flood cooling, for various reasons. On my 10x54 mill table, I see no way of returning all, or even a large portion of the coolant back to the reservoir, and i don't want coolant all over my floor. With three jets, I'm assuming your mill is fully enclosed?

No its not, the mill listed in my signature is what I have, I built an enlarged catch tray, some plastic deflectors, still get a little on the floor with lots of milling, side benefit also controls chips.

Still need to build some chip/coolant screens to be mounted on the table. These should control 99.99% when done.

1645334892864.jpeg
Upgrades are constantly in progress till its perfect (ha ha ha).

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I actually thought about a shower curtain type of arrangement,,,,,

Trying to rough out some r8 blanks tonight on the lathe, and i think i need coolant on the 1660 before the mill.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch Mine came with an arm so don't sweat it till you see what they send...
Well guess what. You nailed it Shawn. It came with an arm!

The base for the arm is pretty darn good. The arm itself will work for now, but it's just a very thin aluminium square tube. I doubt it will last but it should be easy to replace with hardwood or thick tube or maybe even solid aluminium bar.

I'm happy!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm going to make a new arm out of one of these:

I LOVE IT! That will be a beauty.

As a career car guy I'd love that on my mill. Id go to significant lengths to MAKE that work come hell or high water!

Please keep us posted!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That was fast! The hardest part of this project is behind you...getting the parts from AliExpress!

;)
It could have been a few days faster. But CRA didn't like the deal I got and insisted on proof. That required a price certificate from AliExpress. When I heard that I almost crapped the bed. But they must be used to it. Three days later it was here.