• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DRO Mounting System

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone here have a mounting system for their DRO Readout on a Bridgeport sized machine that they are really proud of to share with us?

Yesterday I was chatting with an Ali Store who had an agent up at our time - no waiting till the morning for each overnight reply.

I was just looking for pricing of the latest magnetic scales for a 3-axis DRO system that was on sale. But she wanted a sale badly. Before I knew it, she had me quoted with multiple free upgrades to a system that was already on sale. Magnetic instead of glass, slim readers, a tach display with hall effect input, 4-axis, free FedEx shipping all at the original 3 axis optical scale sale price which was already awesome. Holy crap.

Normally, I don't bite on such things. If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't. But last night I was vulnerable and.... I succumbed to the temptation. I have no idea why. I just did.

It was just under 400 all in. The equivalent DRO Boy's unit is 2 grand Cdn.

This morning I see that it is already shipped with an eta of Feb 28th (just over a week away).

Am I nervous? You bet I am. I guess we will see if I got scammed or not a week from now.

Now I need to mount it. Hence the question here.

It comes with mounting kit for the scales, but there is no display mount.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You can research till your blue in the face, at some point you gotta jump in, I have been looking too and its a challenge lots of differing opinions but for the most part what I have read most have had good luck from Ali but in the end there is always a risk. I saw a facebook ad for $97 8X16 lathe free shipping people were ordering so they are getting some money, I'm glad I'm not interested in taking money from dumb people cause you could be real rich but how could you live with yourself. I found a couple of trash computer arms for monitors that I want use to mount mine when the time comes that was my idea something you could move out of the way but still be able to adjust line of sight.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You can research till your blue in the face, at some point you gotta jump in, I have been looking too and its a challenge lots of differing opinions but for the most part what I have read most have had good luck from Ali but in the end there is always a risk. I saw a facebook ad for $97 8X16 lathe free shipping people were ordering so they are getting some money, I'm glad I'm not interested in taking money from dumb people cause you could be real rich but how could you live with yourself. I found a couple of trash computer arms for monitors that I want use to mount mine when the time comes that was my idea something you could move out of the way but still be able to adjust line of sight.

Ya, computer and TV wall mounts are what I have been looking at too. I might have to wait till the unit arrives to see what the mounting geometry is. If it's a flat surface with a few screw holes, a small tv mount should work fine. But I'm anticipating more of a hinge pin type setup.

In any event, I want to avoid anything that will shake when the mill is running and like you, I would like to be able to fold it out of the way too.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Susquatch Sounds like you did great! Much better system than mine, although you paid only slightly more, as you point out, for good upgrades. I did get hit with import fees extra on top of my Ali charges so be prepared for that once customs get involved. I think it was like $50 or so, At the rate I move, you will probably have yours installed before me. Although my mission for surfing this morning was researching DRO installs on my type of mill. It has been documented several times.

Can you post the link to the store and parts you ordered?

Good luck. I think my install is next on the list after the welding cart.

Cheers,

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Once landed I'll bet you will be very pleased with your purchase. It'll be the best $400 you spent.
Just take you time and think through your installation of the scales. There is very likely many many images out there how others installed on their own Bridgeport style machines.
I look forward to hearing from you on how you like it once installed.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Can you post the link to the store and parts you ordered?

The set I started with appears to be gone. It was in my feed.

But here is something similar from the same store just only 5% off. Mine was 50% off but was glass. This is magnetic but just 5% off.

C$ 693.50 5%OFF | DITRON IP67 Magnetic Encoder Scale Dro 3 Axis DRO LCD D80-3V Model Digital Readout Kit

I've been looking for some time now (since maybe September or so). Ali Express seems to know what I regularly search on and feeds me deals every so often. These sale items show up as a notification on my phone account.

Basically, I clicked on the DRO Sale item in my feed window (lots of other sales there too) and then opened a chat with a store rep to get details. They wanted my order badly but I played hard to get. Wanted a manual to read first, needed to think about it, was not comfortable about spending that much, couldn't decide if I needed 4 or 3 axis, wondered if it could be had with rpm display, wanted magnetic sensors, wondered if they had the new slim sensors that are featured on DRO boys, etc etc. Each time they upped the anti by throwing stuff into the deal free. In the end, I was told to order the sale item at the sale price and they would upgrade everything on shipment. It all went VERY FAST.

Half of me thinks I'll get what I ordered, not what we agreed to. Again, we will see.

If you add that item to your favorites (click on the heart), I think you will start to get sale notices and then you can go from there.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I did get hit with import fees extra on top of my Ali charges so be prepared for that once customs get involved.

Yup, looks like that is gunna happen to me too. The unit is already in the USA and FedEx has told me that they will be sending me a customs fee notice I have to pay before delivery. Don't know how much, but 50 wouldn't surprise me.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
on a bridgeport, you don't really need magnetic scales, space is not an issue. I'll shoot you some pics of my setup when i get out to the shop.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Half of me thinks I'll get what I ordered, not what we agreed to. Again, we will see.
Yes one of the biggest problems I have with Aliexpress is trying to figure out how the hell to order what I want. Often times I can not find the specifics in the order and therefore abort the process. They seem to be masters at leading you on with an image and low price but then you find out that image and low price is not connected.
However despite some initial order problems, my dro has been the best Aliexpress order I've made to date.

I'll make a comment about measured precision and actual accuracy.

When selecting measuring equipment for your machinery consider the accuracy your machine is capable of and the repeatability. Most machines that we use use are are anywhere from 0.001 to 0.006 on average whish is good enough for about 99.5% of anything we do. Yes we can increase that by approaching from one direction only but how many do or know to do so. Even then eyeball estimation we get down to a tenth to 3 tenths. Good enough for about 99.98%of what we do.

How does this effect or selection. Easy, pick the cheapest that has the best repeatability (very important) with a precision of about 0.0001 to 0.0002 and you should be good. Second is waterproof (greatest water resistance) gives the advantage flood cooling (believe that everyone should add despite the mess issues as it greatly improves finishes and avoids using toxic oils and coolants, which eases parts cleanup) along with ease of custom fitment.

The consideration for DRO's is, is it for production (heavy long term use) or ease of use (careful long term use)?

Given this it should guide you as to the best selection.

Electronics well here it only becomes quality and if you want to interface it with something else.

Finally, if you plan on going CNC (definitely worth the money) don't waste the money or effort, skip DRO, a good servo or hybrid stepper systems provide measured DRO readings from the devices (I would recommend Teknic Clearpath SDSK servos here, power and accuracy) into the CNC display.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yes one of the biggest problems I have with Aliexpress is trying to figure out how the hell to order what I want. Often times I can not find the specifics in the order and therefore abort the process. They seem to be masters at leading you on with an image and low price but then you find out that image and low price is not connected.
However despite some initial order problems, my dro has been the best Aliexpress order I've made to date.

LOL.... I've ordered 2 DRO kits from Ali and both times I walked away wondering what I was actually going to get. I'm glad to say both went very well with fast shipping. That website is very confusing:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

So true!

All I can, say here is that I would never have even considered Ali Express if not for others here who succeeded enough to give me the courage to try.

What I have also learned here from all you guys is to use the chat feature. While that has been a HUGE disappointment at times, it has also worked out REALLY WELL at times.

I guess we will see what really happens when my stuff arrives!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hope this helps with some mounting ideas

Attachments

• 16452962339831234646894741264444.jpg
    16452962339831234646894741264444.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 16452963854491915280106884311879.jpg
    16452963854491915280106884311879.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 16452964224059060761847268319147.jpg
    16452964224059060761847268319147.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 21

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Mostly, I am interested in the readout box. Your last photo is VERY interesting. Did you use the threaded hole for the lifting eye?

I don't think I can bend tubing like that but maybe I can find something to cut it out of instead! In any event, using the lift eye hole is brilliant! Built in hinge pin!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Did you add those chip shields?

That's another thing I'd like to add. My mill drill has them and they work really well. The Hartford needs them even more.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Mostly, I am interested in the readout box. Your last photo is VERY interesting. Did you use the threaded hole for the lifting eye?

I don't think I can bend tubing like that but maybe I can find something to cut it out of instead! In any event, using the lift eye hole is brilliant! Built in hinge pin!
Mine came with an arm and mounting bracket that allowed alot of different configurations 16453008727903158529805330685713.jpg .