• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Does anyone have a CX707-pros/cons?

Brian H

Super User
I will start a tread on it when I get it setup for sure. BTW where are you planning to pick one up if you get one? I know Edmonton is down to 1 lathe now and they say they have no more coming into Canada till October now. At least that is what the guy told me on Friday.
I'm planning to get one there I was going to call tomorrow

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
To start with - i know almost nothing about mills or lathes. I entered this hobby 8 months ago by purchasing an RF45 bench top mill from Modern Tool (got their MD45). :) It’s pretty much the biggest bench top available.
I decided (right or wrong, not sure yet) that i didn’t want a Bridgeport type machine. I also decided, that due to my inexperience, I’d avoid used iron.
There is a very slight chance a lathe might be in my future, the CX 707 would make the short list.
When mill shopping i was very close to getting a Precision Matthews (PM) offering - then @SomeGuy suggest i should take a look at Modern Tool (MT). I looked and liked what i saw.
I’ve learned that with metal working machines the cost of the machine is the small half. I also learned that big is definitely better.
Back to lathes. Finhead’s PM1236 is a good suggestion. In that price range and foot print the PM1440 is only marginally longer (72” vs 66”) but has lots more included features and is 1800 pounds vs 1000. MT’s smallest lathe is a clone for the PM1440. It’s the MT1440 and I’d have it at the top of my wish list.

PS - I was extremely satisfied and impressed with my MT experience.

Finhead

I'm planning to get one there I was going to call tomorrow

Hopefully you got the last one, I got a call this morning confirming my order was ready for pickup and said he sold the last one today.

To start with - i know almost nothing about mills or lathes. I entered this hobby 8 months ago by purchasing an RF45 bench top mill from Modern Tool (got their MD45). :) It’s pretty much the biggest bench top available.
I decided (right or wrong, not sure yet) that i didn’t want a Bridgeport type machine. I also decided, that due to my inexperience, I’d avoid used iron.
There is a very slight chance a lathe might be in my future, the CX 707 would make the short list.
When mill shopping i was very close to getting a Precision Matthews (PM) offering - then @SomeGuy suggest i should take a look at Modern Tool (MT). I looked and liked what i saw.
I’ve learned that with metal working machines the cost of the machine is the small half. I also learned that big is definitely better.
Back to lathes. Finhead’s PM1236 is a good suggestion. In that price range and foot print the PM1440 is only marginally longer (72” vs 66”) but has lots more included features and is 1800 pounds vs 1000. MT’s smallest lathe is a clone for the PM1440. It’s the MT1440 and I’d have it at the top of my wish list.

Funny enough the RF45 was my choice for a mill 16 years ago when we bought our house. That and the B2777L (CX708) were in the garage first month we moved in. lol Took this long to convince myself I really need the lathe upgrade. The CX707 is the absolute biggest I can fit in my very small garage will all my other machines.

Brian H

Super User

Thanks for the Modern Tool idea I checked and we have one in Saskatoon so I'm going to stop by there. I called Busy Bee this morning and they sold the last one they had...saved me a 5 hr drive.

Finhead

Thanks for the Modern Tool idea I checked and we have one in Saskatoon so I'm going to stop by there. I called Busy Bee this morning and they sold the last one they had...saved me a 5 hr drive.

I guess the option is still there to have them ship, still says online stock. I'd imagine the cost would be close to a round trip to Edmonton but could be totally off.

Finhead

I looked at shipping a CX601 mill to Victoria and it was $700.

Sorry for the double quote Brian H. I talked to the lady at the counter when I was picking up my lathe today.

If your still wanting a CX707 you can order it online since it's still in stock and do the pickup in store for Edmonton. They will ship it to that store for no extra cost and you pick it up like normal.
Or if you want it shipped the shipping is a fixed cost based on the price of the machine, I believe it was right in the $800 for this lathe to be shipped direct to you and not to a store.

Brian H

Super User
Sorry for the double quote Brian H. I talked to the lady at the counter when I was picking up my lathe today.

If your still wanting a CX707 you can order it online since it's still in stock and do the pickup in store for Edmonton. They will ship it to that store for no extra cost and you pick it up like normal.
Or if you want it shipped the shipping is a fixed cost based on the price of the machine, I believe it was right in the $800 for this lathe to be shipped direct to you and not to a store.
Thanks for doing this. I was actually going to call and talk to them about options