Does anyone have a CX707-pros/cons?

Brian H

Super User
After several years of running my MX-210v lathe (which I purchased new),I am seriously considering upgrading my lathe to a CX707 and would like some feedback from someone that has one of these lathes. After reading what is on the Busy Bee website it seems to check off all the boxes for what I think I'd like to have in a lathe.

I am also open to any other opinions/options/suggestions that you guys have. There are a few key features that I'd like in a machine.
-power cross feed
-the ability to adjust feed rates independently of spindle speed
-more rigidity
-small(ish) footprint as I have very limited shop space. (The CX-707 will be a very tight fit already)

I would love to be able to go to an actual store to physically touch a machine but I'm unaware of any such place near to me (Saskatoon is the closest major center)

slow-poke

Ultra Member
FWIW I have the baby brother CX706, and for what I do with it I'm quite happy with it. Worked well out of the box no cons except: perhaps price, 706 comes with a cheap tool post.

I started with a mini lathe ( barely better than no lathe), then a EMCO compact 8 that I would imagine is somewhat similar to your MX lathe that was better than the mini lathe but still too small for my basic hobby use. I did a few upgrades to my CX706 ; QCTP, rigidity enhancement and ELS and will in all likelihood keep this until I croak because it meets my modest needs. I would think a CX707 would do well as a upscale hobby lathe.

Well I have one, upgraded from a Logan 200 24" center to center. The CX707 has a smaller foot print than the Logan.

IMHO this is a well built product light commercial, or high end hobby machine. There are other similar machines from PM and Grizzly, spec'd with higher grade option obviously at a higher price, all in all the core is the same and for the price its a steal in todays market.

I invested in rubber machine mounts from KBC. Allows adjustment and dampens vibration. You will likely see following posts that say the opposite. Personal experience along with seeing other commercial shops doing that same indicate this works very well considering the machine weights 1000lbs. The only draw back and an important consideration is once you go this route the machine floats and should you mount something very un-balanced you could potential up end your machine.

The only similar machine is the KING but I selected the CX707.

FWIW I have the baby brother CX706, and for what I do with it I'm quite happy with it.

I started with a mini lathe ( barely better than no lathe), then a EMCO compact 8 that I would imagine is somewhat similar to your MX lathe that was better than the mini lathe but still too small for my basic hobby use. I did a few upgrades to my CX706 ; ridigity and ELS and will in all likelihood keep this until I croak because it meets my modest needs. I would think a CX707 would do well as a upscale hobby lathe.
I looked at the CX706 and CX707.

The big difference is the feed and start/stop.

Depending what you started with going to a CX706 is a lateral move, the CX707 is a upscale.

Finhead

The only similar machine is the KING but I selected the CX707.

Any reason for this? I'm currently looking at both of these and lean towards the CX707 since I've had a Craftex B2227L for 14 years now with almost Zero issues.

I saw the King as well little more money, but when you compare it, it is listed as a lower price machines on other sites. It uses a older gear change system. Again both where on my list when I bought but dollar for dollar I think BB has gone the way of its cousin (Grizzly) and upped the game, King has not yet.

Finhead

I saw the King as well little more money, but when you compare it, it is listed as a lower price machines on other sites. It uses a older gear change system. Again both where on my list when I bought but dollar for dollar I think BB has gone the way of its cousin (Grizzly) and upped the game, King has not yet.

Exactly what I had in the back of my mind, thanks for the reply. Currently they are the exact same dollar wise except the King comes with a QCT, but it's of little value as I have a large Tripan QCT I would be using on it anyway.

Sorry Brian H I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

Brian H

Super User
Exactly what I had in the back of my mind, thanks for the reply. Currently they are the exact same dollar wise except the King comes with a QCT, but it's of little value as I have a large Tripan QCT I would be using on it anyway.

Sorry Brian H I'll stop hijacking the thread now.
No problem. All these questions and opinions are valuable. (I was wondering about what QCTP would work best)

Brian H

Super User
Thank you for all you input. I think it will be easiest to put all my questions in this reply.

I had also looked at what King had to offer, but got the same impression as you did. Could you explain a bit about the "feed and start/stop" you had mentioned in an earlier comment? One of the things I am looking for is the ability to change the feed rate independently of the spindle speed. The CX707 has this option correct?

Are you using the supplied stand or do you have it mounted to a different stand/bench? You mentioned needing the isolators for vibration, is the stand not rigid enough/heavy enough? Should a person purchase this without the stand and build a heavier bench to mount it? I opted to build my own stand for the King mill I purchased (I tend to overbuild stuff which I was quite thankful for as I used the machine)

I was very inexperienced when I got my mini lathe and didn't know what I wanted/needed. I was aware I would need to do some fiddling with this to make it functional, but wasn't aware of the options it didn't have. I would ideally like this next purchase to be my forever lathe so I'm trying to ask all the questions before I choose.

Thanks again for your help and advice

Finhead

No problem. All these questions and opinions are valuable. (I was wondering about what QCTP would work best)

I have been down to the store looking at the CX707 a few times with lengthy chats with the machinist they have working there. The QCTP he suggested is the one I would have picked which is the largest they sell. mad for a 10-15" It would be based on center height off the cross slide BTW. I'm going to just run my Tripan 211 since I have it and it's a way higher quality, Swiss made for the Schaublin lathes.

And yes you can set the feeds independent from the spindle, the best advice for a manual on this lathe is to down load the Precision Matthews manual and go with it since it is a identical lathe other than some cosmetic looks. PM-1236 is the one your after and on page 9 it shows the speeds that can be set for feeds of the carriage and cross slide.

Thank you for all you input. I think it will be easiest to put all my questions in this reply.

I had also looked at what King had to offer, but got the same impression as you did. Could you explain a bit about the "feed and start/stop" you had mentioned in an earlier comment? One of the things I am looking for is the ability to change the feed rate independently of the spindle speed. The CX707 has this option correct?

Are you using the supplied stand or do you have it mounted to a different stand/bench? You mentioned needing the isolators for vibration, is the stand not rigid enough/heavy enough? Should a person purchase this without the stand and build a heavier bench to mount it? I opted to build my own stand for the King mill I purchased (I tend to overbuild stuff which I was quite thankful for as I used the machine)

I was very inexperienced when I got my mini lathe and didn't know what I wanted/needed. I was aware I would need to do some fiddling with this to make it functional, but wasn't aware of the options it didn't have. I would ideally like this next purchase to be my forever lathe so I'm trying to ask all the questions before I choose.

Thanks again for your help and advice
If you look at the 707 it has 3 rods (one threaded) running behind the carriage, the bottom is start stop by lever in the carriage. The middle is for feed carriage or cross slide, the top when activated is for threading.

Second I used their stands as they are solid, the feet allow for leveling and prevent movement other than absorb vibration.

Forgot to add I believe you require 8 pads, allows to you to twist, bow, chamber, tweak the bed to perfection if you are that OCD.

Little hint check after a month or so as the bed does settle in and may need a final tweak, for the really OCD people.

Finhead

Forgot to add I believe you require 8 pads, allows to you to twist, bow, chamber, tweak the bed to perfection if you are that OCD.

Little hint check after a month or so as the bed does settle in and may need a final tweak, for the really OCD people.

I thought there were only 6 mounting points, 4 at the head stock and 2 at the tail. But I my have missed a pair of holes on the tail cabinet.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If you look at the 707 it has 3 rods (one threaded) running behind the carriage, the bottom is start stop by lever in the carriage. The middle is for feed carriage or cross slide, the top when activated is for threading.

There is also a gear rack just under the front way that is used in conjunction with the feed bar.

Second I used their stands as they are solid, the feet allow for leveling and prevent movement other than absorb vibration.

Yes, I believe there are 4 mounting locations at each end.

It's a nice lathe. I don't have one, so I'm not biased. A buddy of mine has one and I like it.

I double checked it has a 4 mounting holes per cabinet at the base so you will need 8 mounts total.

The way the base is built it is worth while using it.

Brian H

Super User
Nice thanks for confirming that. I pulled the trigger on the lathe yesterday, just waiting for pickup confirmation. :)
I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience and seeing the new lathe! Let me know what you find out

Finhead

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience and seeing the new lathe! Let me know what you find out

I will start a tread on it when I get it setup for sure. BTW where are you planning to pick one up if you get one? I know Edmonton is down to 1 lathe now and they say they have no more coming into Canada till October now. At least that is what the guy told me on Friday.