• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Do you have a mill and what kind is it?

What type of mill do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1938 british made cincinnatti #2 universal horizontal with powered vertical overarm. 50 taper on both. Recently aquired rpc and spun it up last week. Still in process of flushing fluids. First chips soonish.
View attachment 49642
Being British, I think it needs to be on the left side of the shop....:rolleyes: Looks nice and beefy, I have a much smaller K&T 1a of 1913 vintage. You will probably be making chips long before I do though......:rolleyes:

carrdo

a 1973 Millrite MVN Manual Knee Mill - the largest table model (8" x 36"), R8 spindle, 1 HP variable speed motor, no digital readout or power table, 1400 -1500 lbs all up weight. I have acquired many, many accessories, special tools and fixtures for this machine over the decades. It is my "go to" mill.

a US Burke #4 Horizontal Mill having a # 9 B&S taper spindle and shop made variable speed drive.

a Dore - Westbury small bench mill made from a kit with a #2 Morse taper spindle and a 1/4 HP "washing machine" type cheap electric motor. It was constructed partly at night school and partly in my shop 50 years ago. Very light duty but surprisingly accurate.

Last edited:

torx10

King KC-20VS-2 (G0704 clone). Because Home Hardware will bring it in and deliver it for free. Mine did anyway. Order a spare intermediate gear before you need it. When mine broke, I replaced it with a metal gear from China. There is still another plastic gear in the gear chain to act as a weak link for next time, and it's easier to change than the intermediate gear buried deep inside. DRO and power feed are works in progress.
Update: X axis Power feed and three axis DRO are now installed. These are a game changer! Haven't destroyed any more plastic gears, I'm careful to not stall on a heavy cut again, that's what did the damage last time. Next is a new quill DRO, per the Blondihacks YouTube video, just waiting on the slow boat from China.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
and should have a drip-pan.
Years ago a buddy of mine & I were at the local airshow in Lethbridge. We were walking around the static display & came across a Brit Tornado. Sure enough, under the fuselage about 2/3's of the way back, oil was dripping onto the tarmac. We LOL'd & made the appropriate caustic remarks...

MrWhoopee

Years ago a buddy of mine & I were at the local airshow in Lethbridge. We were walking around the static display & came across a Brit Tornado. Sure enough, under the fuselage about 2/3's of the way back, oil was dripping onto the tarmac. We LOL'd & made the appropriate caustic remarks...
I once saw a new Norton Commando sitting on the showroom floor.....with a drip pan under it.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
It's a good thing you signed up here. We'll have your money spent, and a new (to you) mill in your shop within a month or two :D.

Welcome to the "Enablers" forum. I joined up not that long ago and my little shop has had plenty of help from this group. My soft spot is all those eye candy pictures of nicely restored machines. Just yesterday we were driving to Montreal to visit my son and I get a call from a member, he is at Rustfest and has spotted a $50 bargain deal on a rotary table but he already has one, he wants to know if I'm interested?

What are friends for?

Thanks Phil :)