• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Watch you floor level! Make sure it is well above surrounding area. Nothing worse then water coming in, because of heavy rain events/snow melt etc. And think about getting water out if or when something does happen. Garage doors should have a slope away from door, starting perhaps under the door. Man doors that open out wards, should have pads/side walk 2inchs below door opening. As has been said before, "things move". And it is expensive and sometimes very, very difficult to fix after.
A very common thing here are ladder drains across the front of garage doors.
I am slightly worried about dropping the elevation because we’ve had water drainage problems in the past. We mostly solved it when we renovated our front yard and dug a French drain about the size of a small car and filled it with concrete rubble dug up from the yard. Our house used to be a farm so we have remnants of building foundations all over the place.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
slab drainage: My garage slab was not drained properly, so it is a PITA in the bad spring melts.

I favour concrete curb walls at least 3" high, just to get the sill plates away from potential moisture.

If I were to do it again, I would have all the drainage at 1/8" per foot to the centre of the garage, favouring an flat from the centre to the garage door. that way any intrusion of water for any reason is easily dealt with and won't rot your sill plates. You might ask my why I'm so protective of the sill plates. Yeah, no. I don't want to talk about it.

P.S. I didn't build this garage. None of it is the way I'd do it. But it is too expensive to replace :rolleyes:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
slab drainage: My garage slab was not drained properly, so it is a PITA in the bad spring melts.

I favour concrete curb walls at least 3" high, just to get the sill plates away from potential moisture.

If I were to do it again, I would have all the drainage at 1/8" per foot to the centre of the garage, favouring an flat from the centre to the garage door. that way any intrusion of water for any reason is easily dealt with and won't rot your sill plates. You might ask my why I'm so protective of the sill plates. Yeah, no. I don't want to talk about it.

P.S. I didn't build this garage. None of it is the way I'd do it. But it is too expensive to replace :rolleyes:
If we drop the elevation I expect that the footings would come well above final grade.
I wrote to the architect today to see if he has any preliminary sketches.
I know that we talked about 18’x33’ interior but I’d like to start laying out tools on paper.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
This is the sort of thing that happens when water comes in along the foundation and floor of a carport that was likely never meant to be enclosed. Every winter after major rains in January. Doesn't help that our house is built into a hill and water above us that soaks into the ground builds up against the foundation.

The solution was replacing the perimeter drain around the house and adding it around the car port. Now it's been dry for the last few years.

The odd thing is after the perimeter drains and dry floor the machines started rusting. Before that they didn't.

Anyway, even if your shop will be build on a slab adding perimeter drains around it will go a long way in preventing water coming in.

Attachments

• ShopLeak1.jpg
    ShopLeak1.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 6
  • ShopLeak2.jpg
    ShopLeak2.jpg
    747 KB · Views: 6
  • ShopLeak3.jpg
    ShopLeak3.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 6
  • ShopLeak4.jpg
    ShopLeak4.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 6
This is the sort of thing that happens when water comes in along the foundation and floor of a carport that was likely never meant to be enclosed. Every winter after major rains in January. Doesn't help that our house is built into a hill and water above us that soaks into the ground builds up against the foundation.

The solution was replacing the perimeter drain around the house and adding it around the car port. Now it's been dry for the last few years.

The odd thing is after the perimeter drains and dry floor the machines started rusting. Before that they didn't.

Anyway, even if your shop will be build on a slab adding perimeter drains around it will go a long way in preventing water coming in.
I was going to give you a thumbs up on the drain tile, every new building should have some...... But with the pictures of the water running across the floor made me rather sad, and the machines rusting made me want to cry........ So, just pretend that I gave you all of those in the one post.
I buried a 1000 gallon tank next to the house and ran the downspouts from the house into it and the overflow runs into a rock pit. Having a 1000 gallons of water just hanging around in the heat of summer is a nice piece of mind in fire season or just to keep some of the landscaping alive during the watering restrictions.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I was going to give you a thumbs up on the drain tile, every new building should have some...... But with the pictures of the water running across the floor made me rather sad, and the machines rusting made me want to cry........ So, just pretend that I gave you all of those in the one post.
I buried a 1000 gallon tank next to the house and ran the downspouts from the house into it and the overflow runs into a rock pit. Having a 1000 gallons of water just hanging around in the heat of summer is a nice piece of mind in fire season or just to keep some of the landscaping alive during the watering restrictions.
Remember I'm also Dutch which means every winter I was able to participate in the Dutch National sport which is playing with water. I was able to channel it from the one corner to the other. After it all dried up it was amazing how clean the area under the water path was.

But I'm glad it's dry now. I can keep the RH under 45% with the dehumidifier what was needed after all this to keep the machines from rusting.

I'd like to put in a layer of plastic and then the 2'x2' interlocking tiles on the floor to block out water vapour from the concrete but as it is I already only have 86" of head space (81" under the light fixtures).

You mentioned a suite for renting, that means sewage so you should be able to put in a floor drain or two in the shop, (just in case)
.....are you implying that renters can be a little bit less than responsible? I dread the thought of renting out our other house, fortunately I have an elderly aunt that was looking to move closer to town, so I have a little time before I have to worry about having a stranger in it. When that time does come, I think we'll just sell and look for a recreational property (as usual, subject to change on a whim.....).