• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When I started camping, I wanted a Honda EU2000i generator to power my trailer in the backcountry. So I spent a few months wheeling and dealing in used generators. Initially I thought that i could make one quiet enough, but not possible... long story short, i made enough buying and selling used generators that when I found a great deal on a brand new unit that I got it for less than free.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When I started camping, I wanted a Honda EU2000i generator to power my trailer in the backcountry.

Those are amazing little generators aren't they! I keep ours on the ground behind the trailer. It's usually only one pull, and is so quiet you hardly know it is there. At home, I use it to power the sump pump during power outages with a 100ft 12 gauge extension cord from just outside the garage door.

"Some day", I'd like to install a fuel shutoff and a carburetor fuel drain. It's project 42y.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Working on calibrating the TouchDRO.
Pretty simple process with the built in calibration ’wizard’ in the app. Got the X axis dialed in.
Don’t have a tenth’s dial indicator but it’s spot on with my thousands indicator.
Pretty happy with how it works.
Ignore the vertical orientation of the display. The second tablet I bought is narrower than my holder will accommodate. I have a different holder inbound.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 12

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Cover on.
I use Loctite 262 to glue two 10-32 nuts onto the end caps of the scale. Marked out the scale cover by loosening the compound and sliding the cover underneath and then scribed the outline of the compound base onto the cover.
Bandsawed it out and fine tuned with a file.

IMG_0068.jpeg IMG_0070.jpeg

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Working on the Z axis scale tonight.
This may be the first time in recorded history that the supplied bracket actually works without modification.
Used 1-2-3 blocks to space the scale down 1” from the underside of the ways.
The carriage clears the scale by .25” and the supplied bracket fits the read head and extends high enough to bolt to the back of the carriage.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 16

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If the brackets fit as is, something must be wrong. I don't even know why they supply brackets. They should just give you some nice chunks of stock.

Love your idea to use 123 blocks for spacing!

Tecnico

(Dave)
If the brackets fit as is, something must be wrong. I don't even know why they supply brackets. They should just give you some nice chunks of stock.

Love your idea to use 123 blocks for spacing!

+1

I have a box full of brackets left over from installing the six scales on my lathe & mill, didn't use one of them. Probably could have saved a whole $5 on the purchase, LOL! I did however like the guards they provided with the glass scales.

D :cool:

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Working on the Z axis scale tonight.
This may be the first time in recorded history that the supplied bracket actually works without modification.
Used 1-2-3 blocks to space the scale down 1” from the underside of the ways.
The carriage clears the scale by .25” and the supplied bracket fits the read head and extends high enough to bolt to the back of the carriage.
I've been getting mine together as well. Going with the tape version, and mine fits between the ways, under the ground surface. You can just make it out in this photograph - the tape is self-adhesive and comes with the stainless steel cover strip. The head itself will ride on the fasteners for the steady rest. PXL_20230514_214519833~2.jpg
Once I have the carriage back together I'll drop more pics in my thread.