• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice.
Back in the day... doing this sort of thing had more possibilities. The large bulk stores and shopping centers were closed on Sundays so it was possible to set up pylons and a starting slot and do autoslaloms. We raced both an MGB and a Datsun 510 dropped with flared fenders and wide wheels.
Now it appears to only require money and can only be done on official tracks. The Calgary group raced on an old air force landing strip north of town. In Edmonton it was parking lots.
Oh a Datsun 510, the BMW killer!
BRE back in the day.

Tecnico

(Dave)
I'm not sure all your pictures are accurate. Maybe just close-ups? Really really close close-ups. My memory tells me a Super 7 looks like this:

6-2-Montecristo-Magazine-Summer-2013-Craft_Page_1_Image_0003.jpg
Oh yes, but is it a Lotus or another clone of some fine British hardware.....

Taking a slight turn here, I don't have to waste time thinking about one of those unless they come out with a stretch version, LOL!

D :cool:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Oh a Datsun 510, the BMW killer!
BRE back in the day.
Those BRE cars were something else, so much so that when I went oval racing back in the day I thought they should be the choice for that as well but the 1.6 Corollas dominated. Of course I read the (HP Books?) manual on how to build a racing 510 from cover to cover to understand how they could be so good.

In our class I think the Corollas were so good because they had a fairly over-square engine and Big valves in the hemi head. We were limited to stock engine parts. I still have a street car based on our racing Corollas, I just have some work to do to get it back on the road (project 42 again...).

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I wrote to Tony Griffiths of lathes.co.uk and sent him pics of the ‘Super 7’
His perspective is that it’s an Indian clone vs a Taiwanese clone.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Did a heck of cleaning tonight.
Thing had $100 worth of brass swarf crammed into the cross slide, under the ways and in the chuck.
Took some 0000 steel wool and cleaned the accumulated gunk off the ways and the cross slide and compound.
Much better now.
IMG_0056.jpeg

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
... and now you have a second lathe... Following in my footsteps? -- just kidding!

Where's your mill delivery at?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I *knew* you were going to say that my friend! :)

Last update I had was it was due to shove off on May 12. I have it booked into a deluxe ocean view cabin with balcony so it had better be grateful for that :D

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
All kidding aside, having 2 working lathes is great. Three would be so much better. Think of all the possibilities!
I used the Clausing to clean up the carriage handwheel shaft as it had been chowdered up from a poorly fitted grub screw. Was definitely nice to have a working machine to do that.

Tecnico

(Dave)
I wrote to Tony Griffiths of lathes.co.uk and sent him pics of the ‘Super 7’
His perspective is that it’s an Indian clone vs a Taiwanese clone.

It's solid and quite well made. The castings are clean. The headstock and gear train is very quiet, the ways are basically unmarked. Gib strips are pristine and all the controls work well. There is absolutely nothing about it that hints at inferior quality.

Not to mention being so close to collector status.....:rolleyes:

I think @140mower hit the nail on the head. Not only do you have a well made Myford clone, probably made by British trained craftsmen with the attendant attention to detail, you also have a rare and exclusive collectors item!

Two lathes too, I'm jealous. ;)