DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
David got himself a new wood lathe?

I think he isn't really happy with his new stairs and wants a spiral staircase with all the support systems turned on a wood lathe, and the steps milled out on a giant router (aka wood mill)....... Its just too painful to think he is really going over to the dark side.;)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think he isn't really happy with his new stairs and wants a spiral staircase with all the support systems turned on a wood lathe, and the steps milled out on a giant router (aka wood mill)....... Its just too painful to think he is really going over to the dark side.;)
Definitely been a woodworker longer than a metal worker :)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
View attachment 25690And decked.
Need risers filled in and railings but that’s me done for the today.
Tomorrow off to Vancouver to pick up my wood lathe.
Looks good. I'm just working on a set of stairs at my mother-in-laws place (also a very wet climate) and decided to go with metal risers instead of wood. Is that something you considered and I am curious why you obviously chose wood over them?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks good. I'm just working on a set of stairs at my mother-in-laws place (also a very wet climate) and decided to go with metal risers instead of wood. Is that something you considered and I am curious why you obviously chose wood over them?
I thought about metal stringers briefly but wanted the flexibility that came with making my own. Metal ones were also very expensive. I was looking at well over $750 for three stringers.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
O
I thought about metal stringers briefly but wanted the flexibility that came with making my own. Metal ones were also very expensive. I was looking at well over $750 for three stringers.
Oh my gosh, my 5 step risers were about $56 each and I'm using two of them for a 42" wide step. There were aluminum ones also available for similar cost (maybe $60 a piece).

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That wood all appears to be the brown "treated" stuff, is that correct. That's what I used also for the treads and I splashed on more of the zinc based treatment but still don't expect them to last real well.
We will put the same stuff on all the end cuts too.
If I get ten years out of them I’ll be happy.