• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow that was very quick turn around. Looks great.
Thanks, we're pretty pleased given that the first quote and a second who got back to me yesterday and said to weeks to even come and look at it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
In anticipation of moving my Unisaw to its new spot in the shop I cut down the base so that it can fit up against the wall on the right hand end. Previously it extended out to the end of the extension table and would have run into the foundation and not allowed the saw to snug up to the wall.
I lost the shelf that was underneath but I’m going to build a small rolling cabinet instead.

3C6CC3BE-BB99-492B-8557-FE90CBDF4508.jpeg

David, what you are doing applies to most of us. Solve a problem as it arises and while we are at it improve on the functionality.

Nothing is ever perfect, even if we are the ones designing and building it.

;)

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
David, what you are doing applies to most of us. Solve a problem as it arises and while we are at it improve on the functionality.

Nothing is every perfect, even if we are the ones designing and building it.

;)
After 40 years of design work, the best outcome for any arrangement is . . .
‘continuous improvement’ keep you wits about you.
Tomorrow you will discover another way of making it work . . . better !!

LenVW

Premium Member
You will be shocked by the price of any good materials these days.
I compared prices for some 6061T6 Bar and would you believe . . .
Metal Supermarket was the least expensive. That would never happen a few years ago.

Even spruce lumber is expensive.

You will be shocked by the price of any good materials these days.
I compared prices for some 6061T6 Bar and would you believe . . .
Metal Supermarket was the least expensive. That would never happen a few years ago.

Even spruce lumber is expensive.
You are looking at the wrong sources

LenVW

Premium Member
The CHMW members could become a buying group.
Each member does not consume an adequate amount to warrant ‘stock’.
but,
The total individual needs of the CHMW members could amount to a sizeable volume as long as there are a limited number of sizes and materials listed for SKUs.

The other problem is shipping and the location of SKUs.
Another reason to have more regional chapters of the CHMWs.

Possible . . . with some more information and number crunching.
Something to think about.

@Degen . . . Any thoughts ?

The CHMW members could become a buying group.
Each member does not consume an adequate amount to warrant ‘stock’.
but,
The total individual needs of the CHMW members could amount to a sizeable volume as long as there are a limited number of sizes and materials listed for SKUs.

The other problem is shipping and the location of SKUs.
Another reason to have more regional chapters of the CHMWs.

Possible . . . with some more information and number crunching.
Something to think about.

@Degen . . . Any thoughts ?
See my post here

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Had a change of plans yesterday.
I remembered that I had eight rough sawn cedar 4x4s (so actually 4" x 4") so I returned the five pressure treated ones and bought three 2x12s for the stair stringers. Total price difference was $32.