• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 : it is a great machine - I have mine on the stand it suggests you create and the dust collection system. If you have any questions I can help you out. Been using mine for over 15 years..... maybe more?
Thanks mate, it's just mounted on a board at the moment. I'll need to make something a bit more elegant.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 What dust collector is that? I'm in the (long) process of setting up some shop space int he basement and was looking at the Princess Auto collectors on sale.
It's this one: https://www.kmstools.com/king-industrial-1-1-2-hp-dust-collector.html
I picked it up used locally.
All of the research I did said that minimum size is 1.5 hp. That will give you enough CFM to have longer runs of flex hose which really reduces airflow. I plan to eventually run 5" HVAC ducting with a few drops to machines.

Last edited:

architect

Super User
It's this one: https://www.kmstools.com/king-industrial-1-1-2-hp-dust-collector.html
I picked it up used locally.
All of the research I did said that minimum size is 1.5 hp. That will give you enough CFM to have longer runs of flex hose which really reduces airflow. I plan to eventually run 5" HVAC ducting with a few drops to machines.
Ah ok the PA one is only 1hp but only $230. I'll wait around for a 1.5hp then. Are there an other criterias from your research? I see you were able to add all these extras and guessing it's pretty universal?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The subject of dust collection is very complicated. I went the easy route as I only need to collect from a table saw, mitre saw, planer, spindle sander, and maybe my CNC router. And none at the same time. I had a 3/4 hp Delta unit on a 4" inlet Oneida Dust Deputy. It simply wasn't powerful enough to run through ducting hence the upgrade.
All of the home shop collectors are pretty much the same; single stage with either a cloth or felt bag or a pleated filter. I highly recommend a 1 micron filter which can be easily added.
The new Oneida cyclone that I bought has a 6" opening at the top and a 5" inlet on the side. The Magnum collector has a 6" inlet and it dropped right into the top of the cyclone. I used 5" HVAC fittings to connect everything together. I cut disc from 3/4" ply to fit into the top of the filter and it's held in place by friction and the band clamp.
To clean thew filter I undo the band clamp and drop the filter.

When I eventually get the thing in its permanent location I might reuse this part of the collector that holds the bag and filter.
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 12.43.09 PM.png
I may put the filter on top and adapt a 5 gallon bucket to the bottom so any dust that reaches the filter is easy to remove.
Like this:
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 12.48.12 PM.png
The problem is the filter is only 14" in diameter and the ring thing is 19" in diameter so takes up a huge space. It would be easy to whip up a 6" tall x 14" square box like this:
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 12.54.11 PM.png

Last edited:

architect

Super User
What's the length of ducting you were trying to run? The price of the 1hp at $220 is too good so still wondering if I can make it happen if I have everything close together, or maybe a system where I move the collector on a dolly and quick connect it to different machines as needed. I've seen some pretty snazzy quick connect through my preliminary research. I have less machines than you and only run them one at a time as well.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What's the length of ducting you were trying to run? The price of the 1hp at $220 is too good so still wondering if I can make it happen if I have everything close together, or maybe a system where I move the collector on a dolly and quick connect it to different machines as needed. I've seen some pretty snazzy quick connect through my preliminary research. I have less machines than you and only run them one at a time as well.
I would probably have about 40-50 ft of 5" ducting plus short runs of 4" flex at each machine.
Having the collector mobile is definitely a good option and can work well. The one thing to remember is that flex hose is much more restrictive than rigid duct so keeping the flex runs as short as possible is key with a smaller collector.
Bill Pentz has written a ton on the subject

The problem with multiple ports is loss at each one. They all effect each other! Keep the branches to a minimum for best performance, better to have a longer central hose than lots of branches. Less loses.