DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have almost the same saw. Be careful moving it, as the diecast trunions are very fragile, and I broke mine when I very slightly tried lifting it from the table. The table comes off easily, so you're almost better off removing it. Mines not a platinum, but knowing delta they're probably very similar in that area, if not identical. Yours has the roller blade guides, and fully enclosed base, vs my open stand and block guides.

Replacements trunions are cheap, but still just as fragile. I machined some replacements out of aluminum that are much stronger than the stock delta die cast ones. There are high quality replacements available from a few other sources from what I remember as it's a pretty common problem on those delta saws. They used the same design for many years. I was just too cheap to buy them and wanted to machine my own lol.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have almost the same saw. Be careful moving it, as the diecast trunions are very fragile, and I broke mine when I very slightly tried lifting it from the table. The table comes off easily, so you're almost better off removing it. Mines not a platinum, but knowing delta they're probably very similar in that area, if not identical. Yours has the roller blade guides, and fully enclosed base, vs my open stand and block guides.

Replacements trunions are cheap, but still just as fragile. I machined some replacements out of aluminum that are much stronger than the stock delta die cast ones. There are high quality replacements available from a few other sources from what I remember as it's a pretty common problem on those delta saws. They used the same design for many years. I was just too cheap to buy them and wanted to machine my own lol.
Thanks for the heads up!
On the saw I sold both the trunions and the curved bits under the table were cast aluminum, On the Delta the parts that attatch to the frame are cast iron but the curved bit under the table is cast aluminum I think.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Spent a bit of time making a dust collection setup for the bandsaw.
Recycled a leftover fitting from a shop vac, three rare earth magnets, a 3/8" bolt and a scrap of 1/2" ply.
I didn't take a pic but there are three magnets epoxied to the open end of the nozzle so that it sticks to the underside of the saw table.
The pictures will tell the story better than I can.
Works very well.

IMG_8362.jpg

IMG_8361.jpg

IMG_8364.jpg

IMG_8365.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Put the drawer handles on and made the top for the mill base.
Very pleased with how this came together.
Aside from the handles and the Shop Fox base, everything was bought used. The frame was made from a 2x3 skateboard rail ($25) the cabinet carcass was made from a model train display base ($20) the drawers were made from 12mm birch ply ($50 sheet) four pairs of drawer slides were part of set of 30 pairs of full extension slides for $75.
570AD20C-3CBC-486C-A941-AA459F68C3FC.jpeg 318E91ED-6791-430F-9B81-40E992F3B90E.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's a pretty intricate tool with a cast iron body.

Ya, but I'm guessing the cast iron is a cost control.

I looked closely at the tool and it's function and decided the most difficult part is making the blade. But you can probably buy those separately. And who knows - I bet there are members on here who would laugh at me saying it is difficult.

All that said, the tool and even the case is just beautiful. All the Veritas stuff is gorgeous. I'd love to have one too. Whatever I made would never look that good!

Ya, but I'm guessing the cast iron is a cost control.

I looked closely at the tool and it's function and decided the most difficult part is making the blade. But you can probably buy those separately. And who knows - I bet there are members on here who would laugh at me saying it is difficult.

All that said, the tool and even the case is just beautiful. All the Veritas stuff is gorgeous. I'd love to have one too. Whatever I made would never look that good!
Blade is easy, heat and bend then shape or shape and weld on tang as required.

Body, you got a mill and a welder you are good.

Beat $30, not on your life, good buy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's a pretty intricate tool with a cast iron body.

Google is listening....

Guess what popped up in my feed........