• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Google is always listening.....
I’ve stopped using Google Chrome because it seemed like every time I typed in a search I got adds on FB or Amazon for it.

I have a Gmail email address which doesn’t help. There’s no such thing as “free”…

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I’ve stopped using Google Chrome because it seemed like every time I typed in a search I got adds on FB or Amazon for it.

I have a Gmail email address which doesn’t help. There’s no such thing as “free”…

im probably the odd one out......but i like the targeted add's, some cool stuff comes up for me

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Managed to move the mill onto the new stand.
Took some doing as the outriggers on my hoist are too narrow for the width of anything that requires the hoist.
Decided to try putting the outriggers on the outside of the hoist which made the bottom wide enough to get the roller base in between the legs.
Was definitely sketchy and next time I’ll make up some longer pins and some filler pieces for the middle bits.
9B6EDCDE-610D-4F68-A944-34183802C830.jpeg
424502F5-AEEB-4D6C-894B-94508681B0A0.jpeg
4DDF45D2-B1FC-4DF4-92AA-E5A36ECA7F14.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Man be careful with all that knowledge at one time....I did that with 12 yrs of civil war artillery magazines at an auction ...been building all sorts of "replica's" since then from photo's in the mags...hence my forum handle.
Funnily enough with so much inspiration my wife is now expecting great things to emerge from the shop. If only my skills were up to the task!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Funnily enough with so much inspiration my wife is now expecting great things to emerge from the shop. If only my skills were up to the task!

Start shopping for cooking and needlepoint magazines now. But don't give them to her unless she complains about the lack of output in the woodworking shop.

After you give them to her, look up divorce lawyers and funeral homes.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Start shopping for cooking and needlepoint magazines now. But don't give them to her unless she complains about the lack of output in the woodworking shop.

After you give them to her, look up divorce lawyers and funeral homes.
Yeah, been there, done that. Definitely not doing that again!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
to quickly revisit the router plane thing, here is the video I was thinking of about a home built router plane. Beautiful job, but took a lot of effort:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
to quickly revisit the router plane thing, here is the video I was thinking of about a home built router plane. Beautiful job, but took a lot of effort:

It took extreme effort to watch any video, but I watched it. My heart went out to the fellow making the planer. He did a great job with mostly common tools and parts. It would be a little easier for someone with a bandsaw, mill, grinder, and sander.

Very impressive! Thank you @Dabbler.

trlvn

Ultra Member
They don't have to be that elaborate:

364791_1000x.jpg

This style is called a "hags tooth plane". They are fairly common on the antique tools circuit. The blade and the clamp might be made by a local blacksmith, back in the day, or perhaps purchased from a catalog. The wood body would definitely be made by the user to fit their hands and their needs.

Here is another style with a wedge to retain the blade:

83713_1900x.jpg

The cutter appears to be a re-purposed plow (plough) plan iron.

Craig
(I've been into old tools longer than metalworking.)

Tincup

Have a peek at the Paul Sellars router, he is big on hand tools only woodworking.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Started on my mobile dust collector setup. Picked up a brand new, used metal trash can this morning for $30.
Reused the original base from the collector, couple of 2x4's and a chunk of ply to support the cyclone. 2x4 uprights to support the fan unit.
Still a work in progress.
IMG_8445.jpg

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@David_R8 A couple of guys on youtube have crushed their 'waste can' because their vacuum was pretty high. You might consider a reinforcing band about 1/2 way up to strengthen it? All depends on your primary vacuum. A large shop vac will draw considerably higher vacuum than a squirrel cage blower type.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 A couple of guys on youtube have crushed their 'waste can' because their vacuum was pretty high. You might consider a reinforcing band about 1/2 way up to strengthen it? All depends on your primary vacuum. A large shop vac will draw considerably higher vacuum than a squirrel cage blower type.
Thanks I have a 1.5 hp fan style blower rated for 1200 cfm and static pressure of 9.5 inches of static pressure.