• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Finally in the home stretch.
Second garage door is painted after wrestling with realigning it due to some unknown event that whacked it out of shape.
Got the last of the lights in tonight and started dealing with the footing for the post. Still need to do attic lights though that should be quick.
After that, paint the floor and move stuff back in.

In the in between time I bought a new-to-me truck, a 2008 Ford F150, 4.6L XLT 4x4 as I needed more towing capacity than my Canyon had.
f150_front_2.jpgF150_front.jpgF150 left.jpgf150_rear.jpg
Why did I need more towing capacity?
Cause this needs hauling home.
Catalina_22_1.jpg

Second garage door is painted after wrestling with realigning it due to some unknown event that whacked it out of shape.
Got the last of the lights in tonight and started dealing with the footing for the post. Still need to do attic lights though that should be quick.

In the in between time I bought a new-to-me truck, a 2008 Ford F150, 4.6L XLT 4x4 as I needed more towing capacity than my Canyon had.
View attachment 51653View attachment 51652View attachment 51651View attachment 51654
View attachment 51655
Putting all that lathe flipping money to good use.

Why a full size pickup truck? You could practically tow that little bath tub with a motorcycle!

My son dragged a 30ft Doral Cabin Cruiser home behind a Ram 1500.
The combined weight of the boat and trailer is 4200 pounds.
My Canyon had a maximum towing capacity of 3200 pounds. It was also two wheel drive which is pretty sketchy on a slippery boat ramp.

View attachment 51653View attachment 51652View attachment 51651View attachment 51654
View attachment 51655
The truck appear to be rust free....must be nice to have that selection of west coast rust free vehicles to choose from.

The truck appear to be rust free....must be nice to have that selection of west coast rust free vehicles to choose from.
There's a tiny bit of surface rust on the driver's side lower rear fender but other than that it's rust free. Not bad for a 16 year old vehicle.

Last edited:
Are you doing paint or epoxy on the floor?

Where is the boat?
I'm going to one part epoxy. I'm never going to park a vehicle inside so I think it will do. Plus it's easy to touch up.
Boat is just over in Gordon Head. Maybe 20 mins away. I just don't have anywhere to put it at the moment because of the shipping container in the driveway.
So once I get the floor painted I can empty the container and have it moved out.

Believe it or not. Yes. He got a special permit to do it.

Doesn't matter though. I was mostly poking fun at @DavidR8.

Some people will tell their CFO damn near anything to get a new truck. Let alone a 4x4 gas guzzler...... At least the boat doesn't need fuel.....

Don't worry sweety, I got a sail boat that doesn't use fuel. That will more than pay for the fuel the new truck needs.....

IMG_0485 (1).gif

Believe it or not. Yes. He got a special permit to do it.

Doesn't matter though. I was mostly poking fun at @DavidR8.

Some people will tell their CFO damn near anything to get a new truck. Let alone a 4x4 gas guzzler...... At least the boat doesn't need fuel.....

Don't worry sweety, I got a sail boat that doesn't use fuel. That will more than pay for the fuel the new truck needs.....

View attachment 51678
I work from home so have zero commuting costs. Last year I put less then 6000 kms on my truck. I averaged less than 6400 kms a year on my 2011 Canyon. Not terribly worried about the gas mileage :)

Nice boat. I don't know why, but I've always wanted to learn to sail. But at this point if I brought another boat home, it better be big enough for me to live on....by myself.....
I've been sailing since I was in high school. Learned on sailboards, raced small keel boats and dinghys. My last boat was a 34 ft Crown 34 built in Vancouver. Displaced 10,500 lbs but was a fast boat.
In the 2006 Round SaltSpring Race we saw 8.7 knots on the knotmeter in a 35 knot blow.
If you have an opportunity to learn go for it. It's a lot of fun.

Back