• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Questions, questions, questions...

I'm looking for a way to extend the reach of our wifi. Our current ASUS router is at one end of the house & coverage at the other end of the house is spotty at best. Read an article a few years back that one could tie two of these routers together to extend range. Only issue is, one has to use third party software to keep the network password protected, otherwise it was wide open.

Adding another WiFi router is only one way to do it. And it's a crummy way. You have to create two separate networks to do it that way which results in network transfer problems, hardware limitations, and the list goes on.

No additional software is needed though. You just create two separate networks with different passwords operating on a different frequency - preferably at least 3 bands away from each other. Your devices will not see each other though so things like printing become a problem.

There are at least 2 better ways to do this.

Read recently a bit about this "mesh" technology. The article was a bit light on details, but noted that two mesh routers could be linked together, better range, blah, blah, blah.

Not really. Although two mesh ready routers can often be configured to work that way, it's expensive and less than guaranteed. You just need one mesh router and compatible mesh extenders.

Is your mesh home network secure, as in password protected?

Absolutely. I wouldn't do it any other way.

You mention only one router. Do you need others to push the signal farther?

Only one router is required. But a second router can usually be configured as an access point and its routing capabilities disabled.

Fundamentally, routers assign all network devices with an IP address and route signals from one device to another and to the internet. You can't have two routers on the same network without generating massive confusion.

Only one router solves that problem. Switches, hubs, and bridges do not assign addresses. They merely pass the signal to connected devices letting the router decide what gets assigned where. The admin user can also tell the router to use a particular address for a particular device - this is called reserved addresses.

There are two easy ways to solve your problem. If you add a "WiFi Extender" someplace between the dead zone and the router, it will simply echo the signals further away from the router. Everything is still controlled by the router. No new passwords are required. However, you might need to program the extender with the frequencies to use and the network parameters.

A better way to do it is to get a new Mesh Router. A mesh network uses a mesh router and compatible mesh devices to create a louder (stronger signals}, more expansive network that use signal echoes and signal amplifiers to create a more robust faster network. This is by far the best way to extend your wireless network. Just make sure your mesh router and mesh satellites are compatible.

For the average house, you only need one router and one satelite. But I think most kits probably have two satellites. If so, put a satelite in the garage or shop too.

WiFi 6 is mesh compatible and also increases security and eliminates dead zones.

I'm looking for a way to extend the reach of our wifi. Our current ASUS router is at one end of the house & coverage at the other end of the house is spotty at best. Read an article a few years back that one could tie two of these routers together to extend range. Only issue is, one has to use third party software to keep the network password protected, otherwise it was wide open.

Another thought. Why not just move your WiFi router to a central location?

Adding another WiFi router is only one way to do it. And it's a crummy way. You have to create two separate networks to do it that way which results in network transfer problems, hardware limitations, and the list goes on.

No additional software is needed though. You just create two separate networks with different passwords operating on a different frequency - preferably at least 3 bands away from each other. Your devices will not see each other though so things like printing become a problem.

There are at least 2 better ways to do this.

Not really. Although two mesh ready routers can often be configured to work that way, it's expensive and less than guaranteed. You just need one mesh router and compatible mesh extenders.

Absolutely. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Only one router is required. But a second router can usually be configured as an access point and its routing capabilities disabled.

Fundamentally, routers assign all network devices with an IP address and route signals from one device to another and to the internet. You can't have two routers on the same network without generating massive confusion.

Only one router solves that problem. Switches, hubs, and bridges do not assign addresses. They merely pass the signal to connected devices letting the router decide what gets assigned where. The admin user can also tell the router to use a particular address for a particular device - this is called reserved addresses.

There are two easy ways to solve your problem. If you add a "WiFi Extender" someplace between the dead zone and the router, it will simply echo the signals further away from the router. Everything is still controlled by the router. No new passwords are required. However, you might need to program the extender with the frequencies to use and the network parameters.

A better way to do it is to get a new Mesh Router. A mesh network uses a mesh router and compatible mesh devices to create a louder (stronger signals}, more expansive network that use signal echoes and signal amplifiers to create a more robust faster network. This is by far the best way to extend your wireless network. Just make sure your mesh router and mesh satellites are compatible.

For the average house, you only need one router and one satelite. But I think most kits probably have two satellites. If so, put a satelite in the garage or shop too.

WiFi 6 is mesh compatible and also increases security and eliminates dead zones.
I wonder if this would help me get better wifi in the shop... beats digging another trench for ethernet cable.

You can also use a radio router. I worked for a company for a year that provided these for city infrastructures... You buy a routerboard, radio and directional antenna for each end. we got 1Gb/sec doing this on the regular. (but it is cheaper to dig the trench).

You can also use a radio router. I worked for a company for a year that provided these for city infrastructures... You buy a routerboard, radio and directional antenna for each end. we got 1Gb/sec doing this on the regular. (but it is cheaper to dig the trench).

This sounds like what I call a bridge. You can buy complete units at a very reasonable price. I have a pair of Engenius units that beam a signal between my barn and the house to extend my network to both areas. Mine can literally beam several kilometers.

Similar to the system you describe, they do require some expertise to install and configure them. On the plus side, I've had mine for about 12 years now and they still work fine despite being outdoors.

It seems like wireless extenders are MUCH MORE AVAILABLE today. Here is a rating article that says their best one can be had for $50.

Keep in mind that WiFi extenders ARE NOT MESH. Extenders are more like repeaters They don't create a stronger field and don't always improve the signal. They simply repeat it. However, it's an easy cheap solution to dead spots in your home.

Here is an article on mesh vs extenders from consumer reports.

I wonder if this would help me get better wifi in the shop... beats digging another trench for ethernet cable.

You don't need to dig another trench and I wouldn't. WiFi today can do this for you with almost zero labour.

If your shop has steel walls like mine, you will need a bridge. Mine is a pair of Engenious units. But I'm pretty sure yours is wood with vinyl siding. If so, an extender in the house nearest to your shop is probably all that you need. For a small shop you can also use EoP (Ethernet over Power). I used this 20 years ago to extend my network to my dog shed so I could have cameras in there. You buy a pair of devices that just plug into a wall outlet picking up your network in the house, sending it over your power cable to your shop. These used to be available that generated a small wireless network at the destination.

Make sure you enable maximum security no matter what you do so neighbours and people parked out front or in @jcdammeyer 's parking spot can't access your network

Really only the big cities and major highways are wired. There is a major effort to do more, but I'd venture a SWAG that less than 10% of the rural areas of Southern Ontario are wired. I actually consider myself lucky to have point to point radio. Otherwise I'd have to go ce$$u$ar.
I think we are on our 4th Premier level promise at election time to hard wire rural Ab but it hasnt happened yet.
We have two houses in the yard aprox. 150 ft apart and the other house traps internet from my router (and it works very well for last 10 yrs or more). The system has a hard wire from my router to an antenna on a post between the two places so it can be done and I dont think the entire outfit was more than $150 at the time.

Questions, questions, questions...

Several years later, nothing has moved forward. Same crappy coverage, would like to do something about it.

Read recently a bit about this "mesh" technology. The article was a bit light on details, but noted that two mesh routers could be linked together, better range, blah, blah, blah.

Is your mesh home network secure, as in password protected? You mention only one router. Do you need others to push the signal farther?
On your questions about wifi. My house is a two storey, and there are no data outlets on the second floor. We always had issues with wifi upstairs even with a high coverage router in the middle of the main floor. I bought the linked wifi about two years ago, one is plugged into the house network on the main floor and the other two are spread out upstairs. We have had no problems with wifi coverage since. I believe you can also plug a computer into one of the hubs not wired to the network and use the wifi from one hub to the other to get a network connection to a device that does not have wireless on it. It is all the same password.

On your questions about wifi. My house is a two storey, and there are no data outlets on the second floor. We always had issues with wifi upstairs even with a high coverage router in the middle of the main floor. I bought the linked wifi about two years ago, one is plugged into the house network on the main floor and the other two are spread out upstairs. We have had no problems with wifi coverage since. I believe you can also plug a computer into one of the hubs not wired to the network and use the wifi from one hub to the other to get a network connection to a device that does not have wireless on it. It is all the same password.

Thanks, the TP-Link Deco series is one of the recommended devices in the article @jcdammeyer linked above.

Last edited:

This is an add-on WiFi 6 mesh system. It replaces your existing wireless network if it isn't compatible. It's expensive, but should work quite well. I especially like the high speed Ethernet ports.

@DavidR8 - If you put one on the shop wall closest to the house and one on the house wall closest to the shop, it should work very well to extend high speed wireless to your shop David. Plus one unit left over to put near your existing router.

A lot more money than a WiFi extender, but also a lot more powerful.

Ya I had tried a few routers, and rather than mess around with multiple devices from various manufacturers and face issues with connection issues between them I went to this system. Happy with it. This is the only Wi-Fi in the house now. I disabled the Wi-Fi from the internet supplier modem/router.

This is an add-on WiFi 6 mesh system. It replaces your existing wireless network if it isn't compatible. It's expensive, but should work quite well. I especially like the high speed Ethernet ports.

@DavidR8 - If you put one on the shop wall closest to the house and one on the house wall closest to the shop, it should work very well to extend high speed wireless to your shop David. Plus one unit left over to put near your existing router.

A lot more money than a WiFi extender, but also a lot more powerful.
Yeah I have a repeater in the shop but it barely connects so the speed is pretty marginal.
I think I'll go for this.

I disabled the Wi-Fi from the internet supplier modem/router.

That's what I meant above. Unless your router is compatible, it's WiFi radio should normally be disabled. However, you can have two different WiFi networks at the same time by selecting frequencies that are far apart. This does require two network names and two different passwords, but it will still work with your wired home network. This can be handy if you want priority over other users and your router allows that.

I didn't know this was a possibility.

Never saw a router that wouldn't let you do this. Even the provider routers allow it.

If for whatever reason it doesn't, you could always ignore it by selecting a different frequency at the other end of the band for the mesh.

And while I'm at it, everyone with, a WiFi setup should scan the area for other signals in their neighbourhood (especially that geeky kid next door) and select the best frequency to avoid interference.

There is probably an apple app but I have no experience with Apple. However, if you know someone with an android, you can use "WiFi Analyser" to see the signal strength and frequency of all the various wireless networks in your area.

Here is a screenshot of my network signals. Because it is mesh, all the signals are on the same frequency and they boost each other. The signal on the right is my barn wifi. Both are available in my backyard. I just let my phone choose whichever is strongest. Both are part of my home network and my router assigns all the IP addresses for everything. So everything talks to everything. I have about 60 WiFi devices on my network including phones, computers, tablets, printers, smart home devices (lights, switches, vacuum, appliances, cameras, alarm, etc etc), my GPS Base, TV, A/V, etc etc.

My Network Backyard.jpg

And here is a group of nearby homes.
rural neighbourhood.webp

It's easy to see that none of them are optimized with several in clear conflict with each other. Most likely none of them know why their WiFi doesn't work great.

Thanks for that info. I will have to look into this. There are at least 8 other WiFi networks that I can see on my phone when I am in the house. Doesn't hurt to check if I can find a frequency that is not being used.

Back