• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
That's just like mine except mine was from BusyBee. However to keep up you will also have to procure a corner notcher.

And although I have all the parts I haven't finished the machine work which is on the list but in position #42.
Essentially a computer controlled back fence for either the shear or the bender. The ability to program a series of bend or cuts or both.

Attachments

• FenceAssembly.jpg
    FenceAssembly.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've been frustrated with the cutting ability of my 10W diode laser. Cutting 3mm birch ply took four passes at 100% power at 100 mm/min. Agonizingly slow.
Took a plunge on a 30W module from Laser Tree. Hooked it all up tonight.
Holy smokes what a difference. Cuts clean through in one pass at 80% power at 800mm/min.
That's an astonishing increase in capability!

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 02-53-34 prepare the laser - Google Search Funny happy birthday meme ...png

Super cool. I'd like to see a video!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You seem to be in between being a hoarder and a flipper. :)

Yup, @David_R8 is gunna end up with machines under a tarp outside soon enough. No wonder he is building a coach house. But he won't be getting tenants, at the rate he is buying and flipping machines, he will have to put machines upstairs too. Maybe a wood working shop?

Hey @David_R8 it's about time you got told......

Attachments

• You-Suck.PNG
    You-Suck.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
Naw just a sucker for a good deal. :)

THAT is where it begins! ;)
Amen!......
I was into John Deere garden tractors before I decided that I needed a half dozen or so lathes in my life. I found a few good deals in that persuit as well........ Then the jeep bug hit, and conflicted with my life-long love of late 70's Ford trucks....... Yup, the deals add up over time. :rolleyes:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My quite wise but fiscally-irresponsible father said it best: Junk accumulates to fill the space allotted to it.
There seems to be a constant state of entropy in my shop.
I was cleaning the kitchen this morning and it struck me that I can keep the kitchen tidy because there is a place for all of the stuff that accumulates on the counter. Two minutes time puts it all away into its proper location. What I lack in the shop is a place to put everything and to a degree, too much miscellaneous stuff that doesn't group well.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
too much miscellaneous stuff that doesn't group well.
They will probably put that on my tombstone .
I am getting better and working on my shop organization this year, I have a fairly organized sense with my less used stuff but what I need is better organization of the stuff I use every day or two and because I have a new mill and a newer lathe that list has changed in the last few months and has seemed a bit ever developing. I am like a lot of guys that has about 10 projects actively going at one time so that changes the grouping from it should go there but it goes with this project till its done. I have a long term goal of better "flow" when machining and have realized that looking for every second thing for ten minutes when you just used it 15 minutes ago really slows things down. I always say imagine what I could get accomplished if someone was cleaning up behind me, maybe if I ever win the lottery I can hire an assistant to do that.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There seems to be a constant state of entropy in my shop.
I was cleaning the kitchen this morning and it struck me that I can keep the kitchen tidy because there is a place for all of the stuff that accumulates on the counter. Two minutes time puts it all away into its proper location. What I lack in the shop is a place to put everything and to a degree, too much miscellaneous stuff that doesn't group well.

I don't think so. The reason you keep the kitchen stuff put away is cuz it has a warden and she knows how to hurt you if you don't.

That's why our kitchen is the same way. Spotless with everything in its place.

Thank God she stays away from my barn. I'd never find anything if it was all neat and tidy like the kitchen. Especially surfaces. The best stuff needs surfaces.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think so. The reason you keep the kitchen stuff put away is cuz it has a warden and she knows how to hurt you if you don't.

That's why our kitchen is the same way. Spotless with everything in its place.

Thank God she stays away from my barn. I'd never find anything if it was all neat and tidy like the kitchen. Especially surfaces. The best stuff needs surfaces.
Actually I am the kitchen master. I do 95% of all the cooking in the house. My wife bakes like a master but the day to day cooking is my domain.
The reason why I was struck by this was because I ave always wondered if the state of my shop was because I am naturally disorganized or because of a lack of ways to get organized.
Definitely think it's the latter.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
An item not having a proper place to live was the root cause of my clutter. I lived it for years and cracked down hard the past couple years on better organization. It was a pretty big hurdle at first, but every bit of effort I put in was worth it. New acquisitions now are much easier dealt with, than throwing in a growing pile of stuff like before. Or constantly having to move stuff around just to do something.

Still a couple more spots to tackle with the same vigor, like my woodshop in the barn, and my basement electronics workbench, but the garage metal shop is now a joy to work in. I'm procrastinating doing the other ones, because I'm now spending my free time working in the shop :D.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Actually I am the kitchen master. I do 95% of all the cooking in the house. My wife bakes like a master but the day to day cooking is my domain.
The reason why I was struck by this was because I ave always wondered if the state of my shop was because I am naturally disorganized or because of a lack of ways to get organized.
Definitely think it's the latter.

I still think it's the warden. Doesn't matter who cooks. My whole house is spotless. Even my Den. She would kill me if I leave a desk drawer open.

No warden in your shop.