• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Darren's active projects

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice score on the Vidmars. They go for waaay too much at auctions here. I've been looking, but if I never find any it won't be too bad...

They weren't free, I had to do some work for the first one and we traded some stuff for the second one. Got lucky for sure though. I've never seen Vidmars or Lista cabinets at auction anywhere around here

Bandit

Super User
I was down at the local free pick bone yard, guy dumped off 2 tall filing cabinets. while I was looking for other "treasure" and thinking what one would be good for, came to me, just may work O.K. For some "dust" and "lead eggs"storage. While checking to see how heavy it was and if anything in it, found 4 lt. of new 15/40 Rottella in it.Loaded them, added a 40inch piece of 21/2 in. shaft and a few other pieces of mm. Some times hard to believe the cost to buy "stuff" now.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Dan Dubeau mentioned free treadmills tonight. Just so happened that I was lining the vidmar drawers with treadmill belting tonight so I snapped a few pictures. But first I had to test the fridge.

20230424_232225.jpg
Sure enough, a 30 just fits.

20230424_192005.jpg
Doing 1/2 drawer at a time.

20230424_232339.jpg

Tedious task but way better with the thin belting in the drawers.

Every time I go to the dump I find at least one treadmill and cut the belting off for liners and such.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Hate to poop on your redesign, but the electrical panel no longer meets code. Needs 1m in front. Likely easier to move the panel at this point. Otherwise I like the redesign,

Now I have to figure out where to get that couch emoji.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. LOL not too worried about it at the moment. Everything is going to get moved a bit once I figure out the best layout.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. LOL not too worried about it at the moment. Everything is going to get moved a bit once I figure out the best layout.

Oddly, the electrical inspector let my mother put a pantry in front of her electrical panel box as long as it was on low friction wheels so it was easily moved.

Maybe that's just because she was a sweet old lady, or maybe because she could shame anyone into anything, or maybe because she can kill with one look. I dunno, but it did pass!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
20230428_165246.jpg
Axle shaft, torsion bar, and a ballscrew straight out of the woodstove. 20230428_184128.jpg

Able to machine the torsion bar, which should be 4340 chromolly, but couldn't get anything but a terrible surface finish no matter what I tried.

Going to try the ballscrew next. It was super hard before. The last ballscrew I machined was softish on the ends.

Just playing around, need a pin for a job tomorrow. The torsion bar isn't going to work. Machinable but terrible finish. 20230429_003221.jpg

the ballscrew machines pretty nice after the woodstove treatment.
20230429_005920.jpg

Last edited: