• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Darren's active projects

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, hss wasn't good. Going to try to anneal it more. I'm surprised I was able to machine it at all.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@Darren - you couldn't have mention using axles before I turfed the axles and half-shafts from my old frame could you,,,,,,,nooooo. LOL
Thanks for showing this, at least I'll know better for next time.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm going to try to use the cv joint bells for levelling feet for an upcoming project. I have 2 identical ones now. Just need a few more dodge rams to come in needing cv shafts. If i can, the splined area will get turned down to 3/4" and threaded. The bells will be the feet.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well this is encouraging

20230429_172613.jpg 20230429_173834.jpg 20230429_180223.jpg 16828058748191041858234537595146.jpg
20230429_181538.jpg

It machines very nicely after a few days in the woodstove. Wasn't sure if it would as it was glass hard before. I'll thread it 3/4-10 later. These will be levelling feet for my grinder stand. I left the big end at 4.25 for now but will probably bring it down to 4" later, and I will cut the angled portion as well. This is way better than hogging out levelling feet from 4" bar stock.

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Had a bit of time tonight so I finished up the first two levelling feet. Even though they are both from 2014 Ram 1500's, they are slightly different. Only me and you will know.
Man, that is just way too easy. The one on the left is different from the one on the right. I can see it right away.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
haha yup. The one on the left is the different one.

I could make them all exactly the same, but untill i get 2 more I'll have to leave them for now. There's plenty of meat on them for matching them.

This is mostly just a diversion from doing actual work.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
had to pop a seal in the rear hub of a Ford F650 tonight, but soon found out that i didn't have a suitable driver for the 5.88" OD seal. Had an old wheel hub on the floor, which had a 5.90" OD. How fortuitous?

Ive been on a junk phase lately but man its been savin my butt.

Hammer the studs out, and it was perfect. So i'll build an actual tool out of it soon.

20230508_230840.jpg 20230508_230826.jpg

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have to make some 12" tall extensions for one of my auto hoists lift pads so I can lift Ford Superduty trucks.

Picked up some material from a buddy of mine. These are pins from railcar couplers in 1.625 and 3.5" dia. Looked up the specs, and its all C1060. The small dia pins are speced to be 20-45 HRC and the larger pins are 20-30 HRC. The smaller ones will be 12" long studs threaded 1.375 6tpi to fit the arms on my hoist. Should be a fun project. 20231128_195245[1].jpg
20231128_195230[1].jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have to make some 12" tall extensions for one of my auto hoists lift pads so I can lift Ford Superduty trucks.

Picked up some material from a buddy of mine. These are pins from railcar couplers in 1.625 and 3.5" dia. Looked up the specs, and its all C1060. The small dia pins are speced to be 20-45 HRC and the larger pins are 20-30 HRC. The smaller ones will be 12" long studs threaded 1.375 6tpi to fit the arms on my hoist. Should be a fun project.View attachment 41085
View attachment 41086
Those are serious chunks of steel!

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
just looking at a few of your recent posts . Used auto parts are a major source of good stuff. I saved a lot of the piston rods from car and pick-up truck struts. Nicely finished and straight. very useful rods! I used some as pins for my hydraulic press and recently made a real nice alignment rod for the lathe.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I got this big honkin tool holder and a bunch of inserts in a bunch of tools I bought a while back. It has a 1.5x1.5" shank. Too big to fit my CXA holders. So I milled a dovetail in it and added a height adjuster. I have the same holder in LH too which is going to get the same thing done.

20231208_164921.jpg

20231208_212847.jpg

20231208_222011.jpg

Yup, I messed up the dovetail the first try and it was a bit loose. Welded it up and recut it on one side.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I believe it was there too. I have a Sandivk like that the one day I want to do the same thing. Project 4,022. ;)

I got this big honkin tool holder and a bunch of inserts in a bunch of tools I bought a while back. It has a 1.5x1.5" shank. Too big to fit my CXA holders. So I milled a dovetail in it and added a height adjuster. I have the same holder in LH too which is going to get the same thing done.

View attachment 41396

View attachment 41397

View attachment 41398

Yup, I messed up the dovetail the first try and it was a bit loose. Welded it up and recut it on one side.
I no longer refer to those as mistakes, since all of my work has one similar irregularity in it somewhere, they're now looked upon as signatures.....:rolleyes:
Let's see one of those "wood mongers" recover so well from an errant dovetail.... Oh for the love of metal. :cool:
Well done.