• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Dabblings

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I have done the Winnipeg to GTA trip several times, can be a bit tricky North of ThunderBay in the winter, almost hit a moose once, and almost got a really nasty speeding ticket one summer testing a new to me overdrive transmission;-)
Be safe.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just took this today @Dabbler. They are waiting for you in the back yard.

20240326_135453.jpg

Of interest, at the end of winter, there are no leaves on the evergreen trees here below the deer browse height.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
[QUOTE="Susquatch, post: 148668,
Of interest, at the end of winter, there are no leaves on the evergreen trees here below the deer browse height.
[/QUOTE]

And the deer would taste about as good as a pine cone too IMO.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Some time in February a depression set in. Not enough people talk about this, as there is stigma and judgements.
I’m sorry to hear that.

More times than I would like, I too have the dogs of depression biting at my heels. What’s really great is that since I started buying metalworking tools (Lathe, Mill etc…) the excitement of that has kept the dogs at bay over their usual winter appearance.

Better to buy tools than be depressed. Buying crappy tools would probably make me depressed though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
And the deer would taste about as good as a pine cone too IMO.

Nah, they do eat the evergreens in winter, but their main diet is browse on shrubs and grass from under the snow.

In summer and fall, they are corn and greens fed. It's the best tasting venison you will ever have. Even the old ones taste great. Most of the deer I have harvested were from the north. I don't know what I was thinking back then.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
We are at Perry Sound, at a nice Comfort Inn. Passed 3,000km today.

[begin rant]
Driving from Sudbury to PS in driving rain, against the wind in the dark. And 2 lane undivided, and people still left their high beams on(!!) I have a migraine. Time for a hot bath in a dim room.
[end rant]

Going to see @thestelster tomorrow just after noon. good times!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Calling all gobblers @Dabbler!

20240327_102100.jpg

Although I thought only ducks were dabblers, it seems like the deer, turkey, ducks, geese, ground hogs, coyotes, and a hundred song birds are all showing up for your visit.....!!!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Had a great time with @thestelster

Then I made the (stupid) mistake forgetting Toronto has a rush hour, so we took the 404 to the East side - and paid the price - 90 minutes to cross North Toronto and Brampton using hwy 7.... Once on the 401, it was minutes to Guelph line exit!

I'm just not used to rush hour!

Now in Burlington for a few days. 3700 km so far,

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Don't feel too bad the last few times I was in Toronto the traffic is so bad. A couple of guys told me rush hour in Toronto starts around 6am and ends around 8pm. I can't imagine doing that everyday. safe travels.

This all depends on your definition of rush hour. In my experience, the big rush to stop and take a nap in the middle of the highways in the Toronto area (Kitchener to Oshawa) starts around midnight and ends around midnight the next day.

On weekends there is an 8 hour overlap.

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
We left here \/\/ and went 4 hours the wrong direction . Left early in the morning to beat traffic , only to make a U-turn down below London and back track to Toronto to go north . :eek::rolleyes:o_O Talk about a long day of driving . 16 1/2 hrs to Wawa .

Attachments

• IMG_9875.JPG
    IMG_9875.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9876.JPG
    IMG_9876.JPG
    355.2 KB · Views: 4