• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Dabblings

Brian H

Super User
John N wanted to buy a Carbide end mill so I tagged along to see what else was available. I've been looking for a dial caliper to supplement my digital ones, in the event a battery went dead, etc. But I've also been looking for a small non-offshore face mill. No luck for a while, until...

View attachment 40586

The 2" face mill came with two different grades of Kinnemetal inserts, and that smaller face mil with the large shank is a Sandvik 3 insert face-and side mill. The calipers were in like-new condition. I bought the vernier primarily because he needed to sell it, and I can pass it on to someone who needs it some day. ( gave away my last one to a member here, as he'd use it and I hadn't used it in a while). A great day!
I have an almost identical facemill with the same inserts. I find the finish is really crappy even on light cuts. What is your experience with yours?

Safely ensconced in our motel room in Kenora, supped, unpacked and ready for a snooze. Then a 7AM swim and a short drive to thunder bay!!! About 1600 km. Saw 15 turkeys in a flock, 2 fawns, 3 mule deer. not bad for one day!
Ya, but how many turkeys did you pass in the adjacent lane? :rolleyes:

Glad to hear that the first leg of the journey is safely behind you. ;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Saw 15 turkeys in a flock, 2 fawns, 3 mule deer. not bad for one day!

Wait till you get here. You will see lots of wildlife without driving a single mile. But a bit different. Most of the turkey and deer have started to split up already. And there are no mule deer here - only white-tails.

Brian H

Super User
We haven't spun up John's face mills yet.

You mean the drivers with the ultrabright LED lisghts on highbeam refusing to dim even when flashed. About 4,963,777 of them - or so it felt.
I'm not experienced enough with insert nomenclature yet to see what other types may fit in there place, but I have sat down with my Engineers Black book and perused...(scratched my head alot) for a bit. I'm not sure if that's the issue or not though...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not experienced enough with insert nomenclature yet to see what other types may fit in there place, but I have sat down with my Engineers Black book and perused...(scratched my head alot) for a bit. I'm not sure if that's the issue or not though...

I'm quite happy with my Accusize face mills. They really only let me down when my cut was too shallow. I managed to get some inserts for Aluminium that I hope will kill that problem.

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
I guess he's still on the road . Sent John a message to let him know the drill bit sent to Calgary was confiscated by the border patrol . :D Guess they're considered deadly weapons now . :eek:

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
This was a 16" 5/8" wood auger . Guess it could be deadly in the wrong hands . ;) Last I talked with him he was leaving Kenora . He didn't say how far he was going today .

Last edited: