• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Machine CX 601 saga continues!

Machine

Donald Mearns

So one can only imagine my excitement when the electrical box was returned and I picked it up from the post office this morning.
Wired everything as required, the techs having idiot proofed the wiring with lots of labels. I also had my own pictures as well as an extensive collection of photos and diagrams from BB.
All done and the big moment! The moment of truth as they would say.
Plugged in and… yup not a bloody thing! Not even a fizz or a bang! Just the same as it was back in October!
To be honest at the moment I wish I’d never seen the damn machine! If it wasn’t for the fact I’d have to take a wall down I would tie it to my snowmobile and drag it out into the fiord!
So messages sent to BB and let’s figure out what the next steps could be. My thoughts are that the DC motor is a dud! That or how to bypass the safety guard which I haven’t done as yet.
I don’t really have the patience to wait another 4 months as I am processed through BBs warranty requirements. Where can I get another DC motor.
Any decent suggestions?

Lets back this up one step, do you know how to use a voltmeter? If so is you motor getting power? If it is, motor is the issue. If not, something else (like safeties is preventing it).

From what I see from the schematic, safeties is one, mag switch is another could very likely be your culprites.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I agree with Degen - start at the beginning with the power cord and work your way inside. Systematically go through it part by part piece by piece. Make notes. Grab a buddy to work on it with you - two heads are more like 4.

Deal with the obvious culprits check that switch on the safety door - it was easy to remove and override I recall.

Does it light up at all? the RPM gauge? and the mag switch - if it is working on mine there is a definite clunk/click when the switch powers up.

When the fuse is blown it's completely dead. Are you sure the fuse is good and the holder is good? Did you check with an ohm meter? fuses can fool you and look ok but are not if you check them electrically.

and if you turn the spindle manually does it move? ie is it jammed?

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
My safety switch defeat - easy. Remove the switch and short out the ends with a cap.

Attachments

• 192C344D-BBD0-42C1-B0BE-91107C2F476C.jpeg
    192C344D-BBD0-42C1-B0BE-91107C2F476C.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 9

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Above suggestions are all good.
If you doubt the dc motor, you can unwired it and hook it up to 12 volts dc pretty easy to see if it works. It won't run full speed of course but it will rotate. I did that with my dc lathe motor.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Ok send your email address via direct message and I’ll send you a video of my machine working.

Donald Mearns

Now to fathom DROs and auto feed!
But that will be a wee while as yet!
Good old troubleshooting won through in the end.
Done a few facing runs etc very happy with the finish. Trammed , has 0.0002 nod and also out 0.0002 along the x axis, close enough for me at the time being. We will see how that goes.

Larry_C9

Premium Member
I have the CX-601 also and have had few problems to solve. I also installed a DRO pros dro on it with glass scales which I wouldn't be without now. I really enjoy using some of the features built into the dro. I think I can still point you to the drawings for the scale mounts you would need to make to install the scales on this machine.
I also installed a horizontal Align X axis power feed. I had to machine an adapter to attach a gear to the table feed screw and modfied the mount a little to make for a stronger attachment to the table. Love that also. Shur saves an a lot of cranking. The model of the Align power feed is AL/CE-500D. Just give me a shout when you get to that stage and I should be able to help.

Donald Mearns

Hi L
I have the CX-601 also and have had few problems to solve. I also installed a DRO pros dro on it with glass scales which I wouldn't be without now. I really enjoy using some of the features built into the dro. I think I can still point you to the drawings for the scale mounts you would need to make to install the scales on this machine.
I also installed a horizontal Align X axis power feed. I had to machine an adapter to attach a gear to the table feed screw and modfied the mount a little to make for a stronger attachment to the table. Love that also. Shur saves an a lot of cranking. The model of the Align power feed is AL/CE-500D. Just give me a shout when you get to that stage and I should be able to help.
Hi Larry,
Will keep you posted for questions on the dro and feeds!
Don

Donald Mearns

Just out of interest what make of DRO did you go with?

Larry_C9

Premium Member
I installed a DRO PROS dro. They give good customer service. You can phone up their 1-800 number any time and usually get to take a knowledgeable person right away. I like the different functons it has. I use the bolt circle function quit often and even used the R function once to curve some surfaces for skegs on a model barge. That was very interesting and labour intensive but the result came out very good. I called them up once for help on that one and they admitted that they had not used it a lot so once I got it all sorted out I let them know what I had done. I used the glass scales on the mill and went with 3 axis because the cheap little dro that came with the mill for the quil travel wasn't very good.. I bought another one of there DRO's about a year ago to put on a new lathe I had bought. That time I went with the magnetic scales. Again I am happen with their service and the way it operates although it is different from the one on the mill so have to be careful when switching from one to the other.

Donald Mearns

T
I installed a DRO PROS dro. They give good customer service. You can phone up their 1-800 number any time and usually get to take a knowledgeable person right away. I like the different functons it has. I use the bolt circle function quit often and even used the R function once to curve some surfaces for skegs on a model barge. That was very interesting and labour intensive but the result came out very good. I called them up once for help on that one and they admitted that they had not used it a lot so once I got it all sorted out I let them know what I had done. I used the glass scales on the mill and went with 3 axis because the cheap little dro that came with the mill for the quil travel wasn't very good.. I bought another one of there DRO's about a year ago to put on a new lathe I had bought. That time I went with the magnetic scales. Again I am happen with their service and the way it operates although it is different from the one on the mill so have to be careful when switching from one to the other.
Thanks that’s good to know!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks that’s good to know!

Hey Donald, I am VERY happy with my Ditron. But I have to say this. If I were you living on the very edge of civilization like you do, I'd prolly go with DRO Pros instead of Ditron. The DRO Pros guys are ex military. They have a better feeling for what your life is like than a Chinese outfit will have. Plus they speak English and can talk to you about your install and any problems you might have.

Given your recent busy bee problems, I think you will be better off with a DRO Pros DRO.

That's my OPINION anyway.

FWIW, I will be getting another Ditron shortly for my lathe. But I'll be getting it from Amazon instead of from China direct. The Ditron store on Amazon told me they would price match. So it seems like a no brainer for me. But I live on the shore of Lake Erie at the far south end of Canada......