CT 043 issues ..... Repairs - Completed !!

Capt Hook

Hi all. If you're looking for a loooooong discussion of the wiring in a CT043 lathe here's a link.

I bought a replacement motor, and am ready to hook it up. Does anyone have a photo of the physical hookup of the CT043 or CX707 wire hookup? Here's the pic of my new motor. Many Thanks. DSC_0038_7.JPG

Gearhead88

Hi all. If you're looking for a loooooong discussion of the wiring in a CT043 lathe here's a link.

I bought a replacement motor, and am ready to hook it up. Does anyone have a photo of the physical hookup of the CT043 or CX707 wire hookup? Here's the pic of my new motor. Many Thanks.View attachment 21597
Bump ...............

It might take a while for the AC motor whisper'ers here to notice your question .

I don't want to give you bad advice and then the smoke leaks out of your new motor.

If you were to read this thread through from the beginning , it's a real episode , I'm a low voltage DC guy , my AC knowledge is limited . I've learned a lot .

I bought one of those motors and never used it , it turns out , my lack of experience bit me in the tail , I changed the capacitors in my original motor and that's what it needed from the start.

I'm gonna make a wrap up discussion about this today , my Lathe is fixed ................. a long story .

Standby

Gearhead88

It's fixed , a long time and a parts sourcing nightmare but it runs again .

Lot's of the participants here have helped to solve the issues , I thank each and every one of you.

From the beginning I struggled with this , I'm a low voltage DC guy , my inexperience with AC circuits and this type of equipment made me look and feel like a bozo.

Things I did wrong .............
I bought a motor that I didn't need. $360.00 !!!
I activated contactors manually and damaged / killed components that may have otherwise been OK , I fried two contactors , this is the result of my poking around in there.
I ordered parts from suppliers that I shouldn't have ( more on that later )
I used a multi meter that was faulty and had no capacitance test function , once I had the correct meter, things changed , actual progress was made.

Things that I did right ..............
In an effort to get a better understanding of how this machine is wired and how it works , I followed every wire and drew out a proper wiring diagram so I could actually see the circuit and how it works. I've never been a fan of simplified wiring diagrams , where several wires are drawn as one for the sake of clarity.
I took my time working through this , and with the help of several of the members here was able to learn about some fundamental motor operation theory and to learn about testing capacitors.
After mulling it over , I decided to not take the easy way out and cave in to the pressure to strip all the Chinese crap out and change to a drum switch , even though I was close to doing this to save time , also I know I could have made this work , the start button I was going to use has thermal overload protection just like the starter on my mill and a drum switch would have been installed between that and the motor.
I did take the time to clean up the wiring while I was in there and replace the cheesy broken din rail terminal strip.

Parts sourcing was the biggest hurdle to get over with this .

I should say right now , at the end of the day , Busy Bee was who got me all of the parts , I paid dearly for them but they got me what I needed .
It took some negotiating at the local store here , at first they were just not interested , "the machine was too old " , once I proved to them that the current version of this machine is very similar , shares all of the same switching , same transformer and same motor , they were able to order the parts through the Concord store. It only took two months for them to "get it" and place the order .
I think the staff here may have learned some customer service lessons in the process , or I hope they did.

However , before I was able to convince Busy Bee that this old lathe was worth saving ...............

This happened ..............

I ordered contactors , off of ebay , a set of three from Trillium controls in Concord Ont . , they were the wrong ones , they never did reply to any of my messages , to please get me the correct contactors , I could not return them because of this , I'll not be buying anything else from them , I'm stuck with the contactors they sent.
I also bought a thermal overload relay off of ebay , that came out of China too but arrived quickly , I didn't need one but now I have a spare, the good thing is , this part is correct.
I ordered a second set of contactors from a vendor based in China on ebay , this was even more frustrating , it took weeks for them to even ship them because of Chinese new year . The picture in the ebay listing showed the exact contactor I needed , I ordered three , eventually after waiting over a month , I got them , only to find out the idiot who packed the order threw the wrong contactors in the box. I worked with them , as difficult and frustrating as that was , they recognized the mistake and have partially refunded my money , I can keep the contactors.
There isn't an English catalog that I know of where you can look at these specific contactors and choose the exact replacement .
I should mention , yes I ended up with a bunch of contactors I couldn't use , the upside is , they were $15 each from China , $30 each from Trillium , the down side is the Busy Bee contactors were priced at $65 each !!!
There are some space limitations inside the electrical box, so to subsitute in a different contactor or three isn't really an option I was willing to entertain.

I ordered new motor capacitors off of Amazon , changed those out and made the original motor a working unit again.

I ordered new terminal strips off of Amazon , to replace the cheesy cracked din rail Chinese crappy ones that the machine came with.

Busy Bee got me the exact contactors I needed , they were very expensive , they also got me a pair of directional switches and an "E" stop switch , I only used the contactors , the other switches are spares.

My theory on switches is ........ every time you activate a switch , it's one less time it's going to work.

So , to summarize the parts list , the parts I actually changed to get this repaired.................
Motor start Capacitor
Motor run Capacitor
All three contactors
Terminal strips where all the connections entering or leaving the electrical box are made.

I replaced the terminal strips that were in poor condition , relocated the one and only fuse the machine came with and relocated the ground terminal strip , while i was cleaning up the messy electrical box.

IMG_1712.JPG

I have spare parts now , new and used .
I have a spare motor too ( hangs head in shame )

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Good to see you back making chips. Did you try the new motor just to be sure it will work "if" needed?
A pain in the arse to do , so I won't be doing it anytime soon. I just want to enjoy having a running machine again and for now , be done with the fiddling , I did bench test it about a month ago just to calm my nerves.

Besides , the excitement of my new to me Tig machine is still quite fresh , I did my first welds with it today .

Last edited:

Capt Hook

Nice summary. I bench tested the new motor. Works great. draws 6.5 amps running. Now just have to find out how the 3 wires plus gnd hook up to it to fwd and reverse. On the bench, the fwd and rev worked great, but required hard wired jumpers.

Capt Hook

I bought it from Government Surplus Canada. They laid it down on it's back on a pallet and some of the gear oil dribbled into the electrical compartment. It fried the transformer, so I ordered and installed a new one (not the Chinese original, but one from Newark with similar specs). My guess is that the gear oil dripped into the motor wiring and caused a continuous draw of 55 amps. Spent way too much time troubleshooting and bench testing it and eventually gave in and ordered a new motor.

Gearhead88

I noticed a bunch of content on this discussion is missing , as is the "diagnosing an Asian Lathe " thread , I must have missed something .... ?

Last edited:

terry_g

Super User
I asked a moderator about that.
Apparently he asked to have his profile deleted after
removing a lot of his posts.

Terry

Capt Hook

If anyone has a photo of the 3 x power/control wires hooked up the a new motor in either the CT043 or the CX707, that would be much appreciated.

Hi Gearhead88 or other members. I have this same lathe. Two days ago, I was taking a cut when it just died completely. Since this happened, I was forced to get my 1440 back online. I have decided to sell the CT043. When I get the chance, I will be moving it out of its place and seeing if it is just a fuse. The motor was strained trying to cut S7 steel. The machine is at least 15 years old, and never gave me problems, before it died. I am really not needing two lathes and could use the floor space. I have decided to move 100 percent to the 1440. Please PM me with best offer.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hi Gearhead88 or other members. I have this same lathe. Two days ago, I was taking a cut when it just died completely. Since this happened, I was forced to get my 1440 back online. I have decided to sell the CT043. When I get the chance, I will be moving it out of its place and seeing if it is just a fuse. The motor was strained trying to cut S7 steel. The machine is at least 15 years old, and never gave me problems, before it died. I am really not needing two lathes and could use the floor space. I have decided to move 100 percent to the 1440. Please PM me with best offer.

You should post this in the classifieds thread.

Gearhead88

If you need a motor to revive the lathe you have for sale , I bought a new one and never used it . It was on the lathe for a few days but I never ran it and it went back in the box it came in. I repaired the original motor and used it to get the lathe running , there wasn't an option of returning the new motor I bought , it was special order . Keep in mind , There's a possibility that the motor on your lathe just needs a new capacitor.

Last edited: