Crossing Canada need anything moved?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Hotspots LOL, what do you consider to be Hot? Seems pretty dead around here to me.
What, no place to make loud noises and put holes in paper? No adult establishments serving food and beverages? No old iron resting places? No places to try riding a yet to be hamburger rodeo ring?

C’mon gotta be something in Cowtown don’t tell me Stabmenton is superior

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What, no place to make loud noises and put holes in paper? No adult establishments serving food and beverages? No old iron resting places? No places to try riding a yet to be hamburger rodeo ring?

C’mon gotta be something in Cowtown don’t tell me Stabmenton is superior

The two walk in ranges here (The Shooting Edge and The Calgary shooting Center) are very expensive and don't offer anything exotic to try. Can't take you to my range as I don't have any guess passes (they take a month to obtain).

There is Heritage Park's Gasoline Alley for old cars and stuff. I think most of the park is open this weekend.

Calgary has a pretty good Zoo.

The Royal Tyrrell Museum (World Heritage Site) is 1.5 hours away.

Banff?

Due to it being a long weekend these venues will be busy for sure.

As for rowdy Cowboy bars with mechanical bulls, you're on you own for that one.

Any one else (@Janger , @kevin.decelles , @RobinHood , @Dabbler ) have any ideas?

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have quit Rosebud, but there are a few great places in the Forestry where one can make big noises in a safe, legal manner. I'd be happy to host you (and show off a rifle or 2).

I'd be happy to host and guide.

@Chicken lights - looking for a really -really- big manual milling machine? Or an 8X24 surface grinder? I know of one each coming up for sale, soon....

Chicken lights

I have quit Rosebud, but there are a few great places in the Forestry where one can make big noises in a safe, legal manner. I'd be happy to host you (and show off a rifle or 2).

I'd be happy to host and guide.

@Chicken lights - looking for a really -really- big manual milling machine? Or an 8X24 surface grinder? I know of one each coming up for sale, soon....
That would be great! I don’t know Calgary very well, if at all

Umm I think I’ll pass on a really big mill or grinder at this time but thanks

I should try and find a map of BC, too. They’re getting harder to find

Chicken lights

C8CCA620-602A-4DAA-8CC7-5AD2F7676FAF.jpeg 78671175-CA09-42C1-AECD-412FD56125FA.jpeg 21AAE298-2D6A-4E0A-9F35-E80806CDD5CA.jpeg 7346696B-DA2F-442E-B2D9-44474DAB8C4C.jpeg 23902A5B-354E-4959-BE91-ECED28CB2777.jpeg 2CDF572E-70CB-401C-A19C-9DDF620C3721.jpeg 1DF1E654-D15C-4643-809E-0FF2B67DDE77.jpeg D3102745-B080-4746-ACDF-7DDD83AFDF9F.jpeg @YYCHM

We’re in that weird no mans land between Kenora and Whiteshell for the night, permits don’t allow us to run in MB until the morning. Something about week day construction and a large detour if we wanted to run in MB today

On a holiday weekend the chance of getting stopped is rare, but if we get stopped with wrong permits we’d be sitting until Tuesday to get new ones

So, somewhat out of character, we’re behaving :D

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
We’re in that weird no mans land between Kenora and Whiteshell for the night, permits don’t allow us to run in MB until the morning. Something about week day construction and a large detour if we wanted to run in MB today

On a holiday weekend the chance of getting stopped is rare, but if we get stopped with wrong permits we’d be sitting until Tuesday to get new ones

So, somewhat out of character, we’re behaving

How do these permits work? Do you need one for each Province?

Craig

Chicken lights

How do these permits work? Do you need one for each Province?

Craig
It’s confusing. You can get a yearly permit by province that’s a blanket “drive where you want”. But if you exceed the dimensions on the annual permit you need a “one time trip permit” per province

You have to watch permits closely. My SK permit was emailed to me yesterday, it said it was valid from May 19/22 until May 20/22. No bueno

Short answer- yes, if you exceed legal dimensions you need a permit for each province/territory/state if you want to legally move that load.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My SK permit was emailed to me yesterday, it said it was valid from May 19/22 until May 20/22. No bueno

That is why we pay so much tax. Too many totally stupid public servants.

If I were you I'd get my business manager ( @YYCHM ) to look after it.

Either that or @Dabbler. He is used to dealing with stupid stubborn people lately so he already has the required mindset to deal with permit desk #4928 who is on Vaca after issuing his one permit per 3 years.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@ Sasquatch said, "That is why we pay so much tax. Too many totally stupid public servants."

As a former Public Servant, member of the Canadian Forces, and a veteran I find your above comment offensive and not well taken. When you point a dirty finger at Public Servants then tar and feather them with a wide brush start with their political masters who make and set the laws.

I sir am not a stupid man therefore a retraction and apology of said comment is the right way ahead.

Not impressed.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The whole story is that I have finished my negotiating with the insurance company, and managed to get them to move about 30% higher in their offer for my damaged truck. It took 4 adjusters, 3 levels of management, 2 1/2 months, 20 odd emails, and hundreds of hours of research.

It became a principle thing - the original lowball offer was expected - the dismissive and obstructive behaviour of the adjusters and staff at the insurance company was not expected. But this is a digression from the original thread.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
That is why we pay so much tax. Too many totally stupid public servants.
Agree with Bill on this one, you're stereotyping all for the stupidity of those who make the rules. It's not the fault of the person behind the desk filing out the forms that bureaucracy has made most everything dealing with government a pita.
Yotabota SGT(retired)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@ Sasquatch said, "That is why we pay so much tax. Too many totally stupid public servants."

As a former Public Servant, member of the Canadian Forces, and a veteran I find your above comment offensive and not well taken. When you point a dirty finger at Public Servants then tar and feather them with a wide brush start with their political masters who make and set the laws.

I sir am not a stupid man therefore a retraction and apology of said comment is the right way ahead.

Not impressed.

You are absolutely right. It was WAY TOO WIDE a brush. I very sincerely apologize for that. As I get older I tend to put too many things into the same pile too often. I should know better. Two of my uncles including my most favorite who taught me many skills served in Canada's military.

It was not my intention to include so many selfless people who contribute so meaningfully to our country in the pile.

My apologies sir.