• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cross Slide Screw Material

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I can't picture how one would deploy a follower rest to cut threads. Anyone care to enlighten me?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Seeing is believing, do a search on "using a follow rest". There are a lot of videos on the subject.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Not typical but the concept is the same for all follow rests. It just keeps the part from deflecting away from the bit as you're cutting.
If you check this video, the follow rest starts at 36 minutes and he shows cutting a long bar.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It just keeps the part from deflecting away from the bit as you're cutting.

I've used a follower, but not in a threading operation. I just can't picture your typical follower bumping along on the tops of threads.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This method is used quite a bit on slender parts, turning or threading to mitigate deflection. Joe.P video shows with/without. Depending on your lathe the travelling assembly it can be adapted to be mounted in different ways. I've even seen it incorporated on the tool post for smaller diameters.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@YotaBota I was think more about sourcing stock for the lead screw.
What about O-1 drill rod? KBC has 36" of 1/2" for $20. Likely $10 shipping would apply
My research says that it has a machineabilty rating of 95%. You have torches so heat treating after cutting should be possible.

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
That's probably the most viable solution yet, thanks for the tip. I may not even need to harden the rod. I'm going through the web site seeing what else I think I need.
What's goofy is that they have a store in Delta but the rod would ship from Ontario, there must be some logic there somewhere.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@YotaBota, when first loaded into my cart it said Mississauga also but then changed to Delta when I actually went to the cart.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'd be interested to know if stock conventional cross slide lead screws are hardened. You could do a rudimentary file test on the end just to see. I think ballscrew assemblies are hard(er) but suspect they are ground? I've had a tough time locating hardness of annealed O1 but guessing maybe 90 RB? If typical phosphor bronze is say 65 RB, the O1 will be ~40% harder.
The other issue with heat treating something long & skinny aspect ratio like a shaft is potential warping in the quench no matter how you dip it. You go air hardening but that's a different animal again.

I suspect there is more to 'wear' when it comes to dissimilar materials. You often hear a steel part will wear running inside a nylon or UHMW bushing, yet the plastic is much softer. Micro lapping maybe? I'm curious by the time a lead screw is clapped out, has it gone through 2 bronze nuts? Or maybe if replaced same time its because the bronze nut is being progressively tightened over time via anti-backlash adjustment so is kind of consuming itself like a lapping element?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
a rudimentary file test on the end j
This one actually files quite easy, just about like mild steel. I would guess that the wear particles of the brass and steel mix with oil to form a lapping type compound and over time both wear.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I'm going to go with the Stressproof, drill rod has a tighter tolerance but I'm a bit leery that it may work harden even if it is O1.
Barnes makes some big screws, wow.
Thanks to all for the feedback.:)