Cross Slide Screw Material

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I'm looking at making a new screw for the SM9". I did a bunch of research today and saw recommendations for "1144" rod. So I called up MSM and "never heard of it" was the response I got even though it's on the web site.
Is 4140 an option for this or is there something better (and readily available)?
Thanks

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do a search here, maybe 'lead screw'. Lots of guys have purchased threaded rod ranging from Bolt Supply House type to a bit more upscale if odd pitch or the situation warrants. Usually the ends are just turned down to fit the dials, but collectively a lot easier than threading your own unless you really want to.

And some same suppliers have the matching (typically anti back-lash) leadscrew nut which is usually #2 request item on worn machines.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Do a search here
Duh, your right, this should have been my first search. I want to make one just for the practice and experience, I've already made a new nut so this way I'll have made the set.
Brent H - It's cross feed screw I want to making.

Edit - a search here didn't help.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Duh, your right, this should have been my first search. I want to make one just for the practice and experience, I've already made a new nut so this way I'll have made the set.
Brent H - It's cross feed screw I want to making.

Edit - a search here didn't help.

I have a SM9 cross feed screw, but it sounds like you want to attempt to make one? How did you make the nut?

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Attempt?????? Do or do not, there is no try ( in my best Yoda voice) lol
Yes, I want to make one just to add it to the resume. Besides, you never know when you might need yours.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Cross slide should be do-able. There's been a few good posts on travelling support. Usually people want to cut the main lead screw threads... FOR the machine with worn leadscrew threads... ON... the machine with worn leadscrew threads. Kinda like that Lisa & the Bucket thing :)

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I don't have a bobble but there is a plush "child" siting in the corner.

Usually people want to cut the main lead screw threads... FOR the machine with worn leadscrew threads... ON... the machine with worn leadscrew threads
That's the reason I haven't made a new screw for the SM9, fortunately for me I have another machine that is in good shape:D

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I called up MSM and "never heard of it" was the response I got even though it's on the web site.
Is 4140 an option for this or is there something better (and readily available)?

I call BS on MSM never having heard of C1144 stressproof. They must have had a bad day...

C1144 is a very good material to make the lead screw out of. 4140 would also work. IIRC that is a 1/2” - 10 LH acme, correct?

MacMaster Carr has lots of choice:

https://www.mcmaster.com/stress-proof-steel

francist

Super User
I asked after 1144 stressproof at our Metal Supermarket down here too a couple years ago. Same reply, “never heard of it, what is it?” Hard to believe, but I guess some places don’t look too far out of the box if they don’t need to.

-frank

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I call BS on MSM never having heard of C1144 stressproof

And you would be correct! I called again this morning and got a different guy who actually has heard of 1144. They don't stock it but he is looking it up and will get back to me with a $.
Brent H - I was reading through your post the other day but totally missed the screw build. oops

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Being a franchise they probably only stock stuff with a high turnover, kinda like stupidstore and crappytire.
At least the second time I got some one who could spell 1144 and is willing to look for it.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The only reason for my comment above (post #14) was that I know first hand from a MSM franchise owner that they can get anything on the website, and then some.
Usually it is a question of lead time and pricing if a special order item actually gets sold or the customer goes somewhere else.
Pricing being the main reason for a lost sale (I think we have beat that dead horse to death multiple times before....).