• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Craftex Mill/drill, Orangeville, ON $500

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Just had too chuckle Craig...whod've thought that a 2 hr trip north of Cowtown to melt down a couple of lead pigs would result in such an "all encompassing hobby" it has turned into for you.

David R8, I cant see why you would need to cut holes in the tin or remove pulley's to lift your mill...the photo's show a wide open hole in the top of the column pipe. When I lift mine I just run the chain down the pipe hole and loop or hook to a bar at the bottom of the machine sufficient length to not be pulled back thru.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
David R8, I cant see why you would need to cut holes in the tin or remove pulley's to lift your mill...the photo's show a wide open hole in the top of the column pipe. When I lift mine I just run the chain down the pipe hole and loop or hook to a bar at the bottom of the machine sufficient length to not be pulled back thru.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. I get the chain down the column part but how do you get the bar under the base?
Sorry if it’s completely obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Mine has an inspection plate at the back of the base that makes it easy for mine but ,from the photo's you provided I don't see that plate on yours but the the hole goes right thru to the hollow base...in your case I would just pry the base up at the back end for a short piece of 2x4 or something to give you a little room to attach a chain to a bar...probably put a hook- loop in the chain before dropping it through and then just snake a bar through the loop at the bottom.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Mine has an inspection plate at the back of the base that makes it easy for mine but ,from the photo's you provided I don't see that plate on yours but the the hole goes right thru to the hollow base...in your case I would just pry the base up at the back end for a short piece of 2x4 or something to give you a little room to attach a chain to a bar...probably put a hook- loop in the chain before dropping it through and then just snake a bar through the loop at the bottom.
Wow, do I feel dumb now. (Again...still...)

There are just 4 screws holding the plate in place on mine and a single screw securing the cap on the round column. It just never occurred to me that use the interior of the column for lifting. o_O

I will still need to break the machine down for moving to the basement but this would be a safer method to get the machine on and off the base.

Thanks very much!

Craig in Oakville

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Just had too chuckle Craig...whod've thought that a 2 hr trip north of Cowtown to melt down a couple of lead pigs would result in such an "all encompassing hobby" it has turned into for you.

Yaaa well..... The thought to trying metal working never crossed my mind until I saw your machines and the fact you mentioned you had a mini to part with. An hour's playing on that mini-lathe had me hooked.

That mini-lathe spawned a drill press, bench grinder, MIG welder, PHS.
The PHS spawned a band saw
The Welder spawned an angle grinder.

Projects spawned the desire for a bigger lathe and a mill.

The mill spawned a belt sander.

Projects on the mini-mill has spawned a desire for a bigger mill.

And then there is all the tooling and other stuff.

Not sure I should thank you or curse you LOL.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist I believe that's called "the slippery slope"
Last October I had a mini-late and one cheap caliper.
Now I have a 10" lathe, mill, 4x6 bandsaw, vertical belt grinder, and as you say all the associated tooling.
eBay, Amazon, KMS and KBC love me.
Canada Post, DHL, FedEx not so much :D

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That Colchester Student looks great! A person could mimic ToT!

The last mill looks like a screaming deal!

Brent H

Ultra Member
ya - there are quite a few things on sale. There is a smaller B&S surface grinder and another small grinder for around 500 to 800.

I do not have a need, alas, LOL......

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
ya - there are quite a few things on sale. There is a smaller B&S surface grinder and another small grinder for around 500 to 800.

I do not have a need, alas, LOL......

I wonder what it would cost to ship...
Stop it, just enough David!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I wonder what it would cost to ship...
Stop it, just enough David!

Try this https://www.uship.com/shipping-calculator.aspx

I looked at purchasing @trlvn's Atlas 10-F and concluded it wasn't worth pursuing. Was going to cost $400-$500 to get it to Alberta if I recollect correctly. And it got messy, he would have had to crate it and I couldn't tell if the shipping was house to house or you had to deliver and pickup somewhere. So ya, wasn't worth chasing.

Can't find the posts or PMs pertaining to that exchange for some reason?

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well I shipped a Bridgeport from Calgary to Vancouver and it was around $600. uship is like any other shipping site - they have you and me and.. other guys. Other guys don't pay 1000 to ship 500 lbs of stuff. Heck to ship from China to Calgary a B-port with all port fees I think it was around or under 3000... (!)

So uship === way too expensive.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I used UShip as means of estimating the shipping cost. I found the PM chain regarding the 10-F finally and the estimate came to $700 to bring it from ON to AB.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well I shipped a Bridgeport from Calgary to Vancouver and it was around $600. uship is like any other shipping site - they have you and me and.. other guys. Other guys don't pay 1000 to ship 500 lbs of stuff. Heck to ship from China to Calgary a B-port with all port fees I think it was around or under 3000... (!)

So uship === way too expensive.

Who did you use to ship the Bridgeport?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have used AMJ Campbell twice and Day&Ross once to ship equipment from ON to AB. Depending on the weight, it cost me between $600 to $825. I think the weights were 1200#, 1700# and 2600#. The items were picked-up at a commercial site. They would have dropped off at my residence, but since i was not sure that I was going to be home for sure, I just had them bring it into their terminal in YYC and give me a call. I then went with my trailer to pick-up from there. They were both very good. Shipping times were very short as both companies have multiple daily cross Canada runs. I just had them put my shipment on a convenient-to-them run as I was not in a rush.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
There are numerous LTL (less than load) deck trucking operations across Canada that will accommodate any shipper from terminal-to-terminal, some can also supply door-to-door for a not-so-much-more option as well.
Price is computed on a sq. footage of trailer deck space needed, weight is somewhat of a consideration but usually it is the space needed that dictates.
Across Canada you can easily arrange your own shipping with out any "middle man" influence at all (provided the shipper you are buying from has some sort of "load-out capabilities)...anything from the States requires brokerage involvement tho so funds increase rapidly there.