• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Craftex Mill/drill, Orangeville, ON $500

trlvn

Ultra Member
Looks like a smoking good deal at $500:

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/oakville-halton-region/crafted-knee-mill-vertical/1491838400

I'm surprised it is still listed after two days on Kijiji. I thought about buying it and flipping it for double the money. For me, however, it is just not worth it since I'd have to rent a vehicle and probably a 2 tonne shop crane.

Craig

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Heck I'd buy it from a distance!
Looks like it sold. Anyone here?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah that is a smoking good deal - but not the only one in ON - I saw multiple Bridgeport clones for just ... $2000 (!!!) or even less (!!!)

BTW that mill is not that heavy - you could have rented a pickup from HD and shop crane is like $20 if you need one - you could just man handle this mill with some wood planks - it is no more then around 500 lbs.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If that was an RF 30 clone they run close to 700 lbs. Heavier than they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/rong_fu_rf_25_mill.htm

RF-25 weight 440 boxed 374 net.

https://www.rongfu.com/en/Milling-Drilling-Machine/RF-31.html

RF-31 manufacturer spec 505

Google says RF-30 is 400 lbs.

RF-40 could be more like 700 lbs especially if you add stand and vice.

When a mill in AB came at ultra low price I immediately called and had my dad drive there within like 30min - you got to be fast.... but I have not seen any good deals in years now - even don't look too hard anymore. ON has plenty.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/rong_fu_rf_25_mill.htm

RF-25 weight 440 boxed 374 net.

https://www.rongfu.com/en/Milling-Drilling-Machine/RF-31.html

RF-31 manufacturer spec 505

Google says RF-30 is 400 lbs.

RF-40 could be more like 700 lbs especially if you add stand and vice.

When a mill in AB came at ultra low price I immediately called and had my dad drive there within like 30min - you got to be fast.... but I have not seen any good deals in years now - even don't look too hard anymore. ON has plenty.
My apologies, I had 700# in my head for some reason.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I have a very similar model. The manual for my Craftex B1977 says the net weight is 270 kg without the stand which is 600 pounds.

They are pretty top heavy so there is a non-trivial risk of the machine falling over. There is a way to feed a strap down through the headstock, behind the quill, to help with lifting. (I think it was David's thread on Hobby Machinist where I learned that.) At least on mine, however, the sheet metal belt guards have to come off first. And the spindle pulley and idler pulley both have to be removed to get the guards off. I think that should be fairly simple to do but it does take time. When I eventually move mine to the basement, I'll do that.

BTW, the ad was gone just after lunch today. It would be funny if the buyer turned up as a new user on the site in the next little while!

Craig

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
RF-40 is... 270 kg - they have bigger table and more travel then RF-30.

Yes they are top heavy - some pp even remove the top and move them in pieces - I assume to the basement.

At that price range I would hope it would be gone or else some pp may want to drive from AB to ON just for it ;)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a very similar model. The manual for my Craftex B1977 says the net weight is 270 kg without the stand which is 600 pounds.

They are pretty top heavy so there is a non-trivial risk of the machine falling over. There is a way to feed a strap down through the headstock, behind the quill, to help with lifting. (I think it was David's thread on Hobby Machinist where I learned that.) At least on mine, however, the sheet metal belt guards have to come off first. And the spindle pulley and idler pulley both have to be removed to get the guards off. I think that should be fairly simple to do but it does take time. When I eventually move mine to the basement, I'll do that.

BTW, the ad was gone just after lunch today. It would be funny if the buyer turned up as a new user on the site in the next little while!

Craig
I now think I should have cut a hole in the sheet metal so I could drop a chain through the head without having to remove the pulley etc to lift it up again.
Mind you I can always use a strap.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How many pieces can you break those things down to and what do the pieces weight? Approx.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
https://rick.sparber.org/Articles/MoveMill/MoveMill.htm

This was this inspiration for how I moved mine.
Removed the motor. Solid 40lbs
Unbolted the column.
Walked it down a ramp. Pretty sketchy to be honest. Almost lost it at one point because I didn’t lower the head. Wasn’t thinking clearly.
Slid the base down the ramp.
I had it out of the back of my truck in 45 minutes.
9965f6ddaabcef293dccec371e6397fb.jpg

404d5f507f67cf348b09b6fdaa35f72f.jpg

7fa38718a762398fe9692a41886fb055.jpg

9b2fab7a50726d4355f7c1e7b80c3904.jpg

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Yyc - think of all future tool moves in terms of dishwasher size chunks. Going down, weight isn’t that relevant

Let’s get you a bigger mill!