• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Craftex CT043 old style

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I pulled the fuse out and the wire looks intact to me. For what this part costs, I can replace it tomorrow. I have included 3 photos of it, Trick to get a non blurry shot. The camera wants to focus on other things.

Attachments

• DSCN1392.JPG
    DSCN1392.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1393.JPG
    DSCN1393.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1394.JPG
    DSCN1394.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 6

Gearhead88

Super User
On my Lathe , when you power it up , in my case by plugging it in and turning on the circuit breaker in my garage panel , you hear a click and the light on the front panel illuminates . the click is the main contactor .

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
On my Lathe , when you power it up , in my case by plugging it in and turning on the circuit breaker in my garage panel , you hear a click and the light on the front panel illuminates . the click is the main contactor .
Nope, I don't ever recall that. But through the years it always was on a live circuit.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi Gordie,

I have not electrical test equipment, or knowledge. I will pull the fuse and closely examine it. I think you are seeing a reflection... I hope you are right.

Also note that the spndle is free, no binding, no sign of blue smoke or decolorization. The inside of the box looks very clean. The connectors going form the power in are not smoked.

Hi there. Aburg is just over an hour from me (I'm on Lake Erie south of Chatham). I do have the electrical equipment and I know how to use it.

I'm about ready to start plowing here so I won't be able to help for a week or so. Then it's Christmas. But if I understand your situation, you are in no hurry.

@TorontoBuilder is spot on with his advice, but you will need a multimeter at a minimum. I'm actually quite surprised to see you doing all that CNC stuff without basic electrical capabilities. That's impressive. My advice is to go get yourself a decent multimeter for Christmas and learn how to use it. I think you might find the trip so easy that you will wonder why you didn't do it before. If I could be so bold about spending your money (which all of us on here do quite well), get one with capacitance measuring capability while you are at it - or make yourself a circuit to do it using the current or voltage readouts on your new meter.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Hi there. Aburg is just over an hour from me (I'm on Lake Erie south of Chatham). I do have the electrical equipment and I know how to use it.

I'm about ready to start plowing here so I won't be able to help for a week or so. Then it's Christmas. But if I understand your situation, you are in no hurry.

@TorontoBuilder is spot on with his advice, but you will need a multimeter at a minimum. I'm actually quite surprised to see you doing all that CNC stuff without basic electrical capabilities. That's impressive. My advice is to go get yourself a decent multimeter for Christmas and learn how to use it. I think you might find the trip so easy that you will wonder why you didn't do it before. If I could be so bold about spending your money (which all of us on here do quite well), get one with capacitance measuring capability while you are at it - or make yourself a circuit to do it using the current or voltage readouts on your new meter.
Nothing has been broken. I will be putting a new controller into the 1440 soon also. It is in transit now from California. I also need to fix the limit switches on the Supra Mill. I have been running it with no switches connected after it got it's new control 6 months ago. The reason they needed new controls is that the old ones were 32 bit and don't work properly with modern computers. All the 32 bit computers I had are history.

Starting today I will be working on installation of a desk, windows 11 computer and touchscreen monitor for the milling machine. I am putting an articulating arm attached to the machine, that can swing so it can be used both at the machine or desk. I am also finishing to re-organize that whole wall. After that, I will be going counter-clockwise around the room with finishing to fasten the router plate with bolts... After Christmas, I will be doing the 1440 lathe. I am going to post an updated layout in my other post showing the ever changing more efficient use of every single inch of my space.

Note. I will need a lathe soon as I have a paying job upcoming that requires some turning. For multimeter, if you want to suggest exactly which one off amazon I can get it. (or crappy tire)

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Not exactly cheap... but quality is there as well as most handy basic functions

Klein Tools MM400 Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Manual-Ranging Digital Multimeter, 6000 Counts Electrical Tester AC/DC Voltage Current Detector, NCV, Resistance, Capacitance, Diode Electronic, Duty Cycle Tester, 2.7 Inch LCD T28C https://a.co/d/9wz16dc

I have that amazon one, it's no Klein or fluke, but it does work, and it's only like 40$

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Is it not possible to just put a larger motor on, possibly up to 5 HP single phase up to 20 amps? and simply have the lever turn it on and off. Why does it need all the electronics? Could the frame support more HP? The ability to take larger cuts. Just shooting this out there....

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Is it not possible to just put a larger motor on, possibly up to 5 HP single phase up to 20 amps? and simply have the lever turn it on and off. Why does it need all the electronics? Could the frame support more HP? The ability to take larger cuts. Just shooting this out there....

What lever do you refer to?

Pic please.

Now you're going to get a bunch of people going toss all that crap and just install a drum switch, but that is a set back in time to the 1950s.

I dont think I'd put more than 3 hp on that lathe. They're not know for quality and strength of the head stock castings nor are their gears hardened

Gearhead88

Super User
It has a temperature sensor IIRC....although I don't know what the point of a temp sensor on a multimeter is
It's to test various sensors , ........ lets say , an engine temp sensor , or a thermal switch so you can visually see when the trigger point is . An example is bench testing , an infra red thermometer requires a set of hands that may not be free , or testing a thermister while observing an ohm reading with a second multimeter at the same time as using a heat source to check the device through it's operating range .

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
It has a temperature sensor IIRC....although I don't know what the point of a temp sensor on a multimeter is
to read temperatures, duh :p

why buy 20 tools when you can buy just a few is my motto. Oh and HVAC techs often measure temps or are supposed to anyway.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
It's to test various sensors , ........ lets say , an engine temp sensor , or a thermal switch so you can visually see when the trigger point is . An example is bench testing , an infra red thermometer requires a set of hands that may not be free , or testing a thermister while observing an ohm reading with a second multimeter at the same time as using a heat source to check the device through it's operating range .

Oh yea that makes sense, one less tool someone has to buy if they needed that functionality..

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
What lever do you refer to?

Pic please.

Now you're going to get a bunch of people going toss all that crap and just install a drum switch, but that is a set back in time to the 1950s.

I dont think I'd put more than 3 hp on that lathe. They're not know for quality and strength of the head stock castings nor are their gears hardened
I mean the one that makes it go forward or reverse. On the 1440, there is a VFD on the 3 phase. I still use the gears because on the old style controller, did not even know it was variable. Would it be simpler to just put a 3HP 3 phase with the VFD converter on and simply a switch for forward and reverse, Maybe the Main on and off also?