Concrete lathe

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The 'pour' looks a bit rough around the edges, but yes I have heard of people framing up CNC tables & other machines & then casting/filling with inert concrete like materials. Sometimes just in key areas like the frame or legs, sometimes integrated & encapsulating the components. Its relatively cheap & adds rigidity & vibration dampening. From what I've read, I think epoxy/aggregate mixtures are favored & offers more advantages. It has less potential shrinkage over cement cure, better boding to dis-similar materials, you can stage the pour & you can mess with the mixture recipe with a bit more latitude. I've done some RC molds using this technique where stability & dimensional accuracy is important. Having said that, there are new mixtures of cement being used for decorative counters etc. where they modify the additives to try & balance out shrinkage (like tooling plasters).

Jimbojones

....looks like another quality product from Redneck Engineering.

caradvantage.jpg

Have you guys seen this yet?

Jimbojones

re: original photo.

Unprotected lead screw on cross slide, tubular ways w/angle iron guides and more holes in that pour than swiss cheese...

Dan G's layout is pure sweetness...can tell just by looking that it's a quality rig.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
re: original photo.

Unprotected lead screw on cross slide, tubular ways w/angle iron guides and more holes in that pour than swiss cheese...

Dan G's layout is pure sweetness...can tell just by looking that it's a quality rig.
I agree completely. I had never seen anyone actually make a metal lathe from concrete, or other novel materials like epoxy+aggregate, need to do some more reading I suppose!

Man, Dan G's lathe is a thing of beauty, no doubt about that.