• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Concrete lathe

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The 'pour' looks a bit rough around the edges, but yes I have heard of people framing up CNC tables & other machines & then casting/filling with inert concrete like materials. Sometimes just in key areas like the frame or legs, sometimes integrated & encapsulating the components. Its relatively cheap & adds rigidity & vibration dampening. From what I've read, I think epoxy/aggregate mixtures are favored & offers more advantages. It has less potential shrinkage over cement cure, better boding to dis-similar materials, you can stage the pour & you can mess with the mixture recipe with a bit more latitude. I've done some RC molds using this technique where stability & dimensional accuracy is important. Having said that, there are new mixtures of cement being used for decorative counters etc. where they modify the additives to try & balance out shrinkage (like tooling plasters).

Jimbojones

....looks like another quality product from Redneck Engineering.

caradvantage.jpg

Have you guys seen this yet?

Jimbojones

re: original photo.

Unprotected lead screw on cross slide, tubular ways w/angle iron guides and more holes in that pour than swiss cheese...

Dan G's layout is pure sweetness...can tell just by looking that it's a quality rig.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
re: original photo.

Unprotected lead screw on cross slide, tubular ways w/angle iron guides and more holes in that pour than swiss cheese...

Dan G's layout is pure sweetness...can tell just by looking that it's a quality rig.
I agree completely. I had never seen anyone actually make a metal lathe from concrete, or other novel materials like epoxy+aggregate, need to do some more reading I suppose!

Man, Dan G's lathe is a thing of beauty, no doubt about that.