Compressor

I understand the point you are making here Degen, but I think it's a bit circuitous. Part of the whole point is that they are different. I'd rather buy a tank certified to a higher pressure than one certified to a lower pressure. All I really care about is what I will use it at. In my mind, a shop air compressor tank is a shop air compressor tank. If tank maker B's tank is heavier because its built to a higher pressure standard than Tank maker B's tank is, then that's a good thing. I don't really want the Grape to Grape comparison. When it comes to things like an air tank that can kill me 5 years earlier than my wife will, I want it over designed with a big safety margin. I might look at what the specs are but not for price comparison purposes.

Can you tell its miserable out there today? What's it like in Toronto today?
Snowed a little earlier this morning but the miserable stuff is starting to hit now.

I understand the point being made, just making loose comparisons to make a point is bone of contention, I agree higher pressure rating is good but generally the price goes with it.

As to cars the point was parts are sourced all over the world, so made in one country or another really means assembled to its final form. Unfortunately this is the world we live in, so made somewhere means its better doesn't really mean much anymore for those that understand that concept.

My original point to this whole thing was if it looks that bad outside, makes one wonder if its worth the risk even if its free.

It comes down to: Used, abused and cared for VS used, abused and neglected! One requires caution the other avoidance.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I'm not wanting to start a war or even a heavy debate but I'm just curious. How likely is a compressor tank to explode because of rust as opposed to start leaking?

Fortunately I've never seen or heard personally of a tank exploding (I know it happens so I'm not denying that) but I have seen and heard of numerous leaky tanks that were abandoned.

And don't mistake my curiosity as thumbing my nose at the serious and real explosion risk.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
So I'm not wanting to start a war or even a heavy debate but I'm just curious. How likely is a compressor tank to explode because of rust as opposed to start leaking?

Fortunately I've never seen or heard personally of a tank exploding (I know it happens so I'm not denying that) but I have seen and heard of numerous leaky tanks that were abandoned.

And don't mistake my curiosity as thumbing my nose at the serious and real explosion risk.

I agree, ive seen lots of ones with rust holes, but never heard of one exploding other than the few you tube examples

Not saying it doesn't happen either, but I feel it may be the exception rather than the rule

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
How likely is a compressor tank to explode because of rust as opposed to start leaking?

I agree, ive seen lots of ones with rust holes, but never heard of one exploding other than the few you tube examples

I've seen more leaks too. But I've also seen explosions.

In my opinion you can thank the code for the ratio. The code forces designs that are more likely to leak than explode. The most likely tank to explode is the horizontal one that rusts along the bottom of the cylindrical section. That's another reason why I like vertical.

Most tanks don't really explode as a result of a leak. They explode because they are weak and they get hit or dropped or accidentally damaged or there is a rapid pressure change or even a loud noise nearby.

Looking at it that way, a leak is a good thing.

Although I have deliberately caused explosions, I've never been in the vicinity when a tank actually exploded on its own. But I have seen the results. They are nothing less than horrifying. I've seen windows and doors blown out and even entire walls ruptured. I've also seen a roof lifted off and then collapsed. This says nothing about the shrapnel and flying objects inside the building. Ya, I don't like taking chances with pressure vessels.

If I recall, there are other members on here who have seen similar results. I'll try searching on "explod" and post links.

Edit - here are two links

Post in thread 'What air compressor CFM and reservoir size needed to run a 50 amp plasma cutter' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...o-run-a-50-amp-plasma-cutter.6753/post-100963

Post in thread 'What air compressor CFM and reservoir size needed to run a 50 amp plasma cutter' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...o-run-a-50-amp-plasma-cutter.6753/post-100981

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Oh boy...... Here we go.....

No cars are not the same. At least not when I was still working 17 years ago now.

There were (and probably still are) all kinds of shenanigans going on with content, labour, origin, sub origin, raw materials, place of certification, even date of certification, etc etc etc.

I know of at least one vehicle that was built and certified elsewhere, had a few parts removed, decertified, shipped to NA, completed in an "assembly plant" here, and thereby met the tax requirement threshold at that time. Most manufacturers don't care what you think about where your car is made. For every consumer who wants made in USA, there is one who wants anything but. The manufacturers care about taxes, tariffs, and trade agreements all of which require 10 university degrees and some drugs to understand.

You happy you asked?
Made in Canada molds and then cars are..
- partially designed in India
- small components made in China
- shipped to Mexico, and shot there
- parts maybe sub-assembled in Mexico also
- might actually be final assembled in USA or Canada

Not much made here in N America...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Made in Canada molds and then cars are..
- partially designed in India
- small components made in China
- shipped to Mexico, and shot there
- parts maybe sub-assembled in Mexico also
- might actually be final assembled in USA or Canada

Not much made here in N America...

And that's just the "content" part I referred to in my earlier post. Each element can be expanded the same way.

trevj

Ultra Member
I also saw the 4000psi ones for filling scuba tanks and similar, those actually scared me and I was not even close to them
Had a couple on the hangar floor that would do 7000 PSI! Scary expensive rigs too!

One of my better scores, long ago, was a selection of Compressed Natural Gas tanks, removed from supposedly ECO-Friendly vehicles (who woulda figured, that putting eight huge tanks into a Suburban, would both weigh it down AND use up any available cargo space, on top of cutting the mileage per fill to less than half, AND those fills being hard to find, would all stop people from buying the vehicles?) from an outfit that was converting the rigs back to running gasoline.

They were heavy as heck, and about the only tanks I would have NEVER worried about at compressed air pressures.

I didn't have access to a band saw that would take that large a diameter, or I'd likely made then into a giant set of wind chimes.

trevj

Ultra Member
Oh yeah, if you plan on checking the pressure rating, look into hydro-testing. Doesn't take much of a pump to get a tank up to well into the stratosphere, as far as pressure goes, and if you test it while the tank is submerged, the 'catastrophic' failure, will only amount to some noise and a ripple on the dunk tank surface, provided you got all the air out when filling it!