Compressor

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
I pretty much share everyones sentiments; the thing as it sits is worth scrap metal price, and if the motor and compressor actually work, the compressor turns over freely, you feel suction on the intake and a satisfying pfft pfft sound from the discharge, well then that is a bonus, .....and treat the thing to a new tank!

And am I the only one who wonders why you need a compressor for your furnace?

Cryoine

I pretty much share everyones sentiments; the thing as it sits is worth scrap metal price, and if the motor and compressor actually work, the compressor turns over freely, you feel suction on the intake and a satisfying pfft pfft sound from the discharge, well then that is a bonus, .....and treat the thing to a new tank!

the style of burner that I'm using

Cryoine

@Chicken lights has a good point. No PA tanks for me either. I have no faith in their quality control. It's not about the country of origin for me. For all I know Ingersoll Rand tanks are made in China and I wouldn't hesitate to buy those.

But I don't think this is an old vs PA choice. For me, neither one are good choices. I'd get a good tank from a reputable manufacturer period.
well truth be told if it works the only part I would probably keep is the pump, if I do end up keeping the tank(assuming its sound) then yes its actually going to live in a small room for itself.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Ya, what's that all about?

I faintly recall early coal furnaces blowing coal dust with a compressor and early oil might be the same.

But more likely somebody is just confused and thought it was a refrigerant compressor or didn't know the difference. That's the way many urban legends start.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
I was a volunteer fireman on a steam locomotive some years ago, and, during warm up, we atomized the fuel oil with compressed air until we had some pressure up, then switched to steam. I am guessing it is something like that.

Cryoine

I was a volunteer fireman on a steam locomotive some years ago, and, during warm up, we atomized the fuel oil with compressed air until we had some pressure up, then switched to steam. I am guessing it is something like that.
@Susquatch
yup, the oil burning nozzle that I have uses compressed air at about 40-60 psig, originally i wanted to use a blower but big enough blowers are far more expensive here since i live on an island, compressors are far more abundant

essentially this

I was just at PA and their house brand is built in the USA, looking at the tanks compared to Ingersol Rand that they carry, the welds and tank components look identical from placement to size.

I recently bought a Campbell Hausfeld Vertical 175psi 60gal system, not from PA.

If I would make one recommendation Vertical is the way to go as they have better drainage and less rusting problems even on smaller tank systems. Horizontal small tanks seem to have the worst failure rate from what I've read.

Downwindtracker2

Keith Rucker used his pressure washer to Hydro test an old tank on YouTube. But then again, Yanks are not Canucks. BTW Be careful about calling an American from the south, a Yank. chuckle.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Keith Rucker used his pressure washer to Hydro test an old tank on YouTube. But then again, Yanks are not Canucks. BTW Be careful about calling an American from the south, a Yank. chuckle.

I used to build Watercooled parts for a local steel mill, we used one of those cheap 110v pressure washers with a rigged up fitting to pressure test everything, it took longer than you would expect to pressure something up, but it does work

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was just at PA and their house brand is built in the USA,

This just totally shatters my image of PA. Seriously? Isn't their house brand called PowerFist? PowerFist is USA?

This can't be right. Are you sure of that? Maybe rebranded or painted or something.

I need a drink.

This just totally shatters my image of PA. Seriously? Isn't their house brand called PowerFist? PowerFist is USA?

This can't be right. Are you sure of that? Maybe rebranded or painted or something.

I need a drink.
Go look.

BTW made in the USA can only mean assemblied in the USA.

Aren't cars the same???

Downwindtracker2

My Speedaire compressor died in stages. First the pressure switch, the Chinese replacement had a little higher pressure point, then the head packed it in. Next was the 3hp motor . The replacements were a PA Chinese 5hp motor and a Chinese Rolair 3cylinder head. There on the floor with a big American flag and a proudly made in USA a Smithy Built compressor with the same motor, pressure switch and head. mmm

Personally I blame certification authorities in allowing certain products to meet the spec. Either the spec is wrong or the certifier not doing their job.

Years ago I was involved in some CSA stuff as they were trying to get their stamp into an industry. Short version, CSA gets industry input, sets the lowest possible standard, industry pays CSA for each label they use, other than creating their own cash cow, the labelling really does nothing to protect the final users. The industry I was in declined joining. BTW this was not the first time they've done this, remember W5 car heaters and the fires they caused with CSA approved product.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
BTW made in the USA can only mean assemblied in the USA.

Aren't cars the same???

Oh boy...... Here we go.....

No cars are not the same. At least not when I was still working 17 years ago now.

There were (and probably still are) all kinds of shenanigans going on with content, labour, origin, sub origin, raw materials, place of certification, even date of certification, etc etc etc.

I know of at least one vehicle that was built and certified elsewhere, had a few parts removed, decertified, shipped to NA, completed in an "assembly plant" here, and thereby met the tax requirement threshold at that time. Most manufacturers don't care what you think about where your car is made. For every consumer who wants made in USA, there is one who wants anything but. The manufacturers care about taxes, tariffs, and trade agreements all of which require 10 university degrees and some drugs to understand.

You happy you asked?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Read the pressure ratings, at least make sure its same for same. Not defending PA but when making broad comparisons read all the specs as it is not always the same.

Yes, thats sort of the point i was trying to make. I got two phone calls while posting, sorry. Its easy to overlook that 25psi rating difference, but its a big difference over the life of the tank. I've seen 200psi tanks priced very similarly to the 175psi tanks.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Read the pressure ratings, at least make sure its same for same. Not defending PA but when making broad comparisons read all the specs as it is not always the same.

I understand the point you are making here Degen, but I think it's a bit circuitous. Part of the whole point is that they are different. I'd rather buy a tank certified to a higher pressure than one certified to a lower pressure. All I really care about is what I will use it at. In my mind, a shop air compressor tank is a shop air compressor tank. If tank maker B's tank is heavier because its built to a higher pressure standard than Tank maker B's tank is, then that's a good thing. I don't really want the Grape to Grape comparison. When it comes to things like an air tank that can kill me 5 years earlier than my wife will, I want it over designed with a big safety margin. I might look at what the specs are but not for price comparison purposes.

Can you tell its miserable out there today? What's it like in Toronto today?