• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Compressor

Cryoine

Hi guys did you miss me, so while minding my own business another stray piece of machinery wants to follow me home, they are asking about $150CAD but I know nothing about it apart from it should be heavy as all hell and I do need a 'big boy' compressor for my furnace.

a Bristol Duplex compressor, my scouring of the internet shows me that the tank/receiver should still be ok because back then they made em thicc, I have no idea the operating pressure or flow rates at those pressures. anyone have any literature on or experience with these.

for those following the utilathe project the machine shop still has my bull gear and cross feed nut to fix...

Attachments

• image_2023-02-21_204259542.png
    image_2023-02-21_204259542.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • image_2023-02-21_204313638.png
    image_2023-02-21_204313638.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 26

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Jeeze that thing is ancient ! Been sitting out a while by the looks of it, does it even turn over

Cryoine

Jeeze that thing is ancient ! Been sitting out a while by the looks of it, does it even turn over
from what the guy said its been sitting there for nearly 20 years, not sure of the vintage and I have not done anything to it, I will disconnect the motor and try to turn it over by hand first I will also tap on the tank with a hammer to listen for any clear abnormalities.

they got a newer compressor and just left this one out for dead from what I can see.

Pressure vessels are dangerous, while the pump may work and create pressure, the tank or pressure vessel likely is not up to spec and cause serious injury or death. Watch this.....

Cryoine

Pressure vessels are dangerous, while the pump may work and create pressure, the tank or pressure vessel likely is not up to spec and cause serious injury or death. Watch this.....

I am well aware, I would send the tank to actually be tested up by the university of technology, I know some of the lab techs there plus I'm a student there lol on self respecting lecturer would turn this down given how old it is and my puppy dog eyes. Plus I know them all too lol.

Cryoine

I also saw the 4000psi ones for filling scuba tanks and similar, those actually scared me and I was not even close to them

I also saw the 4000psi ones for filling scuba tanks and similar, those actually scared me and I was not even close to them
Most Scuba tanks are 3000psi some new steel ones are upto 3500psi (I recently bought one). These tanks are tested regularly.

Steel air tanks actually have more failure simply because of the continuous exposure to internal water because of continous operation and likely poor draining habits.

Horizontal tanks hank the highest failure rates because of how the water sits and the internal corrosion occurs.

That tank looks ratty on the outside I hate to think what it looks like on the inside.

For the few extra bucks new RUN AWAY.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Looks like 60's vintage, I don't know if I would give them 150$ though, maybe like 50$ tops, I doubt you can get any parts for that compressor head if needed given the vintage

As for the tank, if you could get someone with a ut thickness tester to compare the wall thickness of the tank in different locations it would give you an idea of how rusted the interior is...who knows it might pass a hydro test, but it might also be on the hairy edge for thickness at the bottom

Cryoine

Looks like 60's vintage, I don't know if I would give them 150$ though, maybe like 50$ tops, I doubt you can get any parts for that compressor head if needed given the vintage

As for the tank, if you could get someone with a ut thickness tester to compare the wall thickness of the tank in different locations it would give you an idea of how rusted the interior is...who knows it might pass a hydro test, but it might also be on the hairy edge for thickness at the bottom
yup i would agree with a lot of this

By the way hydrostatic/visual testing does not show all faults. Eddy current and ultrasound does find hidden cracks and fails pressure vessels that the first two don't.

I recently got an eduction on this because of one of my scuba tanks and the certification it had to go through by one the national level certifiers in Canada.

Real question becomes is your life worth the saving of a few bucks? If it not, go for it.

Cryoine

By the way hydrostatic/visual testing does not show all faults. Eddy current and ultrasound does find hidden cracks and fails pressure vessels that the first two don't.

I recently got an eduction on this because of one of my scuba tanks and the certification it had to go through by one the national level certifiers in Canada.

Real question becomes is your life worth the saving of a few bucks? If it not, go for it.
actually thanks for that, I am studying mechanical engineering at utech (university of technology) but I'm a lab tech at a maritime university lol, they should have what I need to test the tank properly ill ask around there

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've been building and rebuilding compressors for a long time, but far from an expert. From reading dozens of pressure test/certification tags in the last few years, Its no wonder those import compressors blow up with minimal rust. For example, my 80 gallon Devilbiss has an end cap thickness of something like 0.220 nominal, wall thickness nominal of 0.190ish, and rated at 200 PSI. Recent import compressor i looked at was same 200PSI rating, with 0.090 end caps, and 0.080 wall thickness. Big difference. I'd trust a 50 year old compressor before i'd trust a 5 year old import. I'd test both before i'd fully trust either. Hydro testing is not expensive.

Cryoine

I've been building and rebuilding compressors for a long time, but far from an expert. From reading dozens of pressure test/certification tags in the last few years, Its no wonder those import compressors blow up with minimal rust. For example, my 80 gallon Devilbiss has an end cap thickness of something like 0.220 nominal, wall thickness nominal of 0.190ish, and rated at 200 PSI. Recent import compressor i looked at was same 200PSI rating, with 0.090 end caps, and 0.080 wall thickness. Big difference. I'd trust a 50 year old compressor before i'd trust a 5 year old import. I'd test both before i'd fully trust either. Hydro testing is not expensive.
This is the consensus I came on, those older compressors were made from steel plates while the newer ones are made from steel sheet, but yes i plan to use this to fight them on the price, the fact that they had it out in the weather for pretty much 2/3rds of my life lol and from one of the pics it seems they went inside it and used sealant on the pump

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Any good automotive machine shop will have a sonic tester. I'd offer a case of Busch, to me, for removing it for them. Get it sonic tested first. If that fails, scrap the tank, if it passes that, get it hydro tested.

Most dive shops now test outsource their testing of tanks because of the risks, they still do their own visuals.

One shop that tests upto 10,000 psi is Flame Tamer,

I would get an ultrasound or eddy current test as well on an old tank as it will show thin spots or potential cracks.

Hydro tests don't in most cases.

Again considering on occasion you can compressor tanks new from PA for $400-500 dollars why risk the explosion.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Seems there are a lot of guys on here with pressure vessel experience. I do too.

Your life and the lives of others is worth too much. I vote to keep the compressor, dump the tank. Recertifying the tank isn't worth the trouble or the risk.

If you really want, make the tank look pretty but don't use it. Use a good tank behind the wall.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Most dive shops now test outsource their testing of tanks because of the risks, they still do their own visuals.

One shop that tests upto 10,000 psi is Flame Tamer,

I would get an ultrasound or eddy current test as well on an old tank as it will show thin spots or potential cracks.

Hydro tests don't in most cases.

Again considering on occasion you can compressor tanks new from PA for $400-500 dollars why risk the explosion.
I don’t consider anything from princess auto to be high quality, that’s odd on one hand you are negative about reusing old quality tanks but then spout off to run to PA to buy a (likely) asian sourced air tank

Personally I’d trust old domestic over new import, especially anything from Asian or India sources

No politics

I don’t consider anything from princess auto to be high quality, that’s odd on one hand you are negative about reusing old quality tanks but then spout off to run to PA to buy a (likely) asian sourced air tank

Personally I’d trust old domestic over new import, especially anything from Asian or India sources

No politics
Between and old rusted poorly cared for POS and a new PA you are likely better off with the PA one than the POS.

As to some of their products some of their tanks are made in North America.

Lets get real on the problem with newer tanks (and products) even from North American and European Manufacturers, they are built to Limits States Design which in layman's terms translates just enough factor of safety that we can get away with because we know the limits of the material used. Good in practice because we get light lighter, cheaper stronger products until we exceed those limits. Unfortunately mankind tends to do that.

BTW thank the auto industry for this concept as they started in the late fifties.

So am I saying PA stuff is better not really, just in this instance as overall care seems lacking so I would consider everything suspect included regular draining.

After thought, sorry forgot to mention that horizontal tanks are the worst for drainage even solid old builds and seem to have the highest failure rates (good YouTube article on this), so it really looks like an abused tank, regardless how good it was originally, is IMHO a risk of life and limb, I'd rather buy new, use and care for PA tank and switch it out after 10-20 years based on usage and maintenance, than risk an unknown POS.

No Politics.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Again considering on occasion you can compressor tanks new from PA for $400-500 dollars

@Chicken lights has a good point. No PA tanks for me either. I have no faith in their quality control. It's not about the country of origin for me. For all I know Ingersoll Rand tanks are made in China and I wouldn't hesitate to buy those.

But I don't think this is an old vs PA choice. For me, neither one are good choices. I'd get a good tank from a reputable manufacturer period.