• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Coffee Shop Meetup Saturday Sept 26th

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
We definitely should give the idea of group buying of metal some thought. We could all save some cash that way & we are all buying metal in this group.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Josh
Could you put a list together of who attended the meetup? I'm trying to put faces to names, projects etc (never was good at that)
I'll start off
John Walker
I had the aluminum casting and the 3D print.

Cheers
John

Kris Jensen

Josh
Could you put a list together of who attended the meetup? I'm trying to put faces to names, projects etc (never was good at that)
I'll start off
John Walker
I had the aluminum casting and the 3D print.

Cheers
John
I was the guy with the 1/2 steel target at the end of the table

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I am the shady biker dude that was selling bar stock. Most notably I am the youngest member of the groupe in attendance at all the events so far, I think? Kris might be the same age? Anywho I sat directly across from you.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm Another John. I brought anodized and powder coated parts. Bought the dro from Peter.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Josh

I think @Brian Lawrence and @Krprice84 are the only two who haven't chimed in here already. Brian has a pic on his profile, and @Krprice84 is the new member who swung by with the little one.

@Alexander I think 1" and 3/4" are perfect general usage sizes. Can always be turned down, but aren't too big.

JW

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I was the guy that showed up late without anything to show and stayed late as well.

Oh, and group buy of metal still sounds great - I still think $2+ per kg of steel is a lot.

Krprice84

Hey yea I was the one who came late and left early with my little girl

I think I'm buying a king lathe tomorrow. I wish I could find a better lathe here....

I did find a gear head craftex lathe in Ontario, but shipping is 600 bucks and I don't know the guy or the machine. The king is a reasonable price, but I don't know how capable it will end up being :(

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Which model King & where are you buying it through? Actually I wouldn't be too concerned from a brand name standpoint. I think the smaller model Kings are not that much different than many of the other offshore offerings you see under different paint color & stickers. If anything, they might have a bit better reputation but hard to tell on forums because people tend to get fired up when they have problems, not necessarily when happily machining.

Their (eastern Canada) website is here. Ive noticed certain retailers carry only specific models so just wanted you to be aware if you were after specific size/features.
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=116

I think 99% of hobby machines come from Asia & it boils down to how much pre-screening & QC the parent company does & how well they support you if you need a part or something goes awry. I can speak for the bigger King gearheads, or at least what they used to be when I got mine (a 14x40). They were made in Taiwan under a bit closer eye & better electrics than some similar sized China models I compared. But that may well have since changed too. I looked at another 14x40 same time, comparable price, but it had really crappy dials & leads crews & it was obvious they cut some important corners. Modern Tool actually was a King dealer/distributor back in the day (late 90's - 2000's). Now they basically figured out the game & deal direct from China, supposedly with their own specs & standards. They carry new & used. Maybe check them out too if you haven't already.
http://www.moderntool.com/products/category/lathes-new/
http://www.moderntool.com/products/category/lathes-used/

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hey kr price
I have the craftex cx701 which is in between the typical 10x22 and the 14x40. I think its about 12x28. If you wanted to come by and try it... Or did you just buy that one kms had in stock? I've looked at it a few times. I thought it looked pretty good.

There is one nice one I see used sometimes , a frejoh sp?, anyone here have any experience with that brand?

Krprice84

Naw I can't drop that much on a lathe. I have eyed the 701 but it's just too much cash right now.

The king one is in Lethbridge, it's a 10x22 with a 1" bore. Not as big as I wanted but nut much I can do. Other choice usd getting the craftex b2069 gear head 12x24 shipped out here from the guy who runs shop in Ontario. 600 for shipping though, plus 1750 for the lathe. Again, just don't have that much to drop. The king is only 1400.

I also have to be able to move it into my basement, no garage here. Otherwise I'd wait for an old monarch and never buy a new lathe again :p