• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Clausing Lathe Free Victoria, BC

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It looks like that Clausing will clean up very nicely!
On slightly closer inspection as I was moving it in it looks like a couple things going around in the chuck have hit the ways. There's a couple good craters to stone down.

I might nee to spring for some heavy duty casters so I can easily move it in and out to work/work on it.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think I still see some space on the ceiling...... :rolleyes:
..... actually, if you had picked up the jointer planer you would have solved the problem... Campbell River isn't that big, sell the second car, the grocery store can't be much more than a mile away.....:rolleyes:
I'll have you know Campbell River is a full sized city - we're almost 3 miles from the Superstore. (although there are two other grocery stores closer. And one is 6 blocks away)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
On slightly closer inspection as I was moving it in it looks like a couple things going around in the chuck have hit the ways. There's a couple good craters to stone down.
It looks a lot better than the 10ee that was for 4500$. You seem to have everything, and most of the gunk looks like it will clean up. Those craters are pretty typical of lathes bought for machine shop class. Once you deal with the raised burrs, it should be okay for accuracy!

:( Cars don't belong in garages. That's blasphemy on a metal working forum. Sets a bad example for new members. Confuses the older ones over 60 years old. What are you thinking? Tsk Tsk.
......a thousand likes to you and your followers.....:cool:

@Tomc938 ........ Perhaps my twisted view on the world can be of some assistance here........ Without answering out loud, how much has your house increased in value since you purchased it? Quite a bit I think. Now, how much has the car depreciated since you bought it? No matter how much you try the car will never be worth more than you paid for it. However the tools in the shop maintain both and the house greatly benefits and secures your retirement years...... Do you really want to risk your financial future by allowing wet, salty, corrosion monsters in with your precision maintenance tools?
I'm pretty sure you could put together a pretty convincing spreadsheet in an afternoon..... Women love financial security. :p
........ Now if the second car is a 1970 Hemi convertible Cuda, disregard the above........:rolleyes:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Great pic. Made me smile, and instantly reminded me of Guy Clark's song "my favorite picture of you"

I only have mental pictures of mine looking at me like that. A LOT of mental pictures of her looking like that...... :D.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Perhaps my twisted view on the world can be of some assistance here........ Without answering out loud, how much has your house increased in value since you purchased it? Quite a bit I think. Now, how much has the car depreciated since you bought it? No matter how much you try the car will never be worth more than you paid for it.
I probably shouldn't tell you guys this just after getting two free lathes (one in kit form) but my car has actually increased in value in the 5 years since I bought it. It wasn't new, so the previous owner ate the huge depreciation that comes when you drive it off the lot. Covid has driven up the price of everything, and Nissan introduced a new body design and the old one is better looking/a classic.

It's not 70's Cuda, but it is a 370Z.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
You should have seen the resto-mod 1964 Jag the exe-owner of the lathe built. He transferred all the modern amenities from a late model Jag to the 1964 Mk II four door. It's a beauty.
He also did a 2 door Morris 8 using a Solstice donor, all the drive train and electronics, another work of art.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I probably shouldn't tell you guys this just after getting two free lathes (one in kit form) but my car has actually increased in value in the 5 years since I bought it. It wasn't new, so the previous owner ate the huge depreciation that comes when you drive it off the lot. Covid has driven up the price of everything, and Nissan introduced a new body design and the old one is better looking/a classic.

It's not 70's Cuda, but it is a 370Z.
What year?
The 2018's were nice.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My fave is the '58 vette. Heavy, underpowered by today's standards, but handled like a European sportscar of the time. The closest I ever drove was the last year model Corvair sport (after they moved the motor in front of the rear wheels). It was a beaut. - until the guy who bought it from my Dad rolled it down the Escarpment in Hamilton. :oops:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Corvair with the motor in front of the rear wheels? Are you sure it was a Corvair? Corvairs were all air cooled rear motor machines from the factory.
Mine never came came from the factory that way. I dropped a sbc 327 into the back seat using an adaptor kit to bolt the motor in front of the transaxle.