Clarkson Mk2 Tool and Cutter Grinder

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Also, on your vise, is this like a fixed dowel pin mounted to base underside so you set angles with gage blocks like a sine bar?

Attachments

• EDT-06-01-2024 3.15.36 PM.jpg
    EDT-06-01-2024 3.15.36 PM.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 4

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Also, on your vise, is this like a fixed dowel pin mounted to base underside so you set angles with gage blocks like a sine bar?

That's how mine works. I have one that has a grinding / machinist vise on it, one with a drill press vise, and one regular plate. I don't use the one for the drill press. I should re-purpose it.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
everytime I want to do something on it I have to make something first to support or hold the part that needs ground.

Story of my life! Good looking results though.

That's a beautiful grind finish on the HSS. What grit is it? Is it aluminum oxide?

I've taken to sparking out on it just like a SG and get that sort of finish. Several passes back and forth, no stoning necessary! I like doing various threading bits this way. Set up seems easier, put a square to the work and tool bit.

Last edited:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've taken to sparking out on it just like a SG and get that sort of finish. Several passes back and forth, no stoning necessary! I
Yes, that's exactly what I did.

And I think I'm hoing to get a 2" sine vise. The 3" I used was rather awkward to position on the table.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I made the threaded section of the part with the new HSS 55° cutter I made. Used the 3-wire method to hit the pitch diameter, using this calculator:

But......

Attachments

• 20240111_150635.jpg
    20240111_150635.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240111_150103.jpg
    20240111_150103.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240112_122104.jpg
    IMG_20240112_122104.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 15

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
.....it doesn't fit, WTF!! I remeasured and checked, well, sure enough, its not 3/16"-32BSF, it's actually 3BA.

BA (British Associaton) threads are an old thread standard for smaller screws.

3BA is 4.1mm x 0.73 in metric
or 0.161"-34.5 tpi and BA threads are 47.5°.

Well, fortunately for me, I have a BA tap and die set!!

Once I tuned the threaded section down to 0.162"; and 32tpi is very close to 34.5tpi, it had left enough material to make it proper. And it fits!!

I lucked out this time.

Attachments

• 20240112_133416.jpg
    20240112_133416.jpg
    841.9 KB · Views: 5

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Very cool tap and die set! Luv it!

So what's with the flaky thread relief the first time around? I always thought you should cut the relief first....... :cool:..... :p

Glad to see that you are human after all!

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very cool tap and die set! Luv it!

So what's with the flaky thread relief the first time around? I always thought you should cut the relief first....... :cool:..... :p

Glad to see that you are human after all!
I wanted to thread as close to the shoulder as possible, so I wasn't sure how wide to cut the relief, so I didn't bother 'til after. I set my carriage stop indicator so the zero (the point I had to disengage the half-nuts) had the tool about 0.010" before crashing into the shoulder. Of course I went slow and practiced a couple times

And my usual grooving inserts were too wide so I had to make a thinner one, 0.045", from hss.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You know, I was about ready to start machining the rest of the part, which is going to take several hours, and then I have to harden it. And then I said to myself, "I hope this material is really 4140". I started to second guess myself. So I took a piece of the same material, turned a portion of it down to 1/4" diameter and heated it with a propane torch for 15 minutes, then quenched in ATF.

Cooled it off, and tested it. A file skates right across. Thank goodness.

Can you imagine spending all that time on a part, and then realizing its junk. And nothing to have been learned from it other than, mark your metal as soon as you get it.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can you imagine spending all that time on a part, and then realizing its junk. And nothing to have been learned from it other than, mark your metal as soon as you get it.
I have been saving kingpins from trucks with the intention of making some R8 tooling. I grabbed one the other night and started roughing out the 0.9495 end. Perfectly on size in all dimensions. When i got to the taper, i realized i grabbed the smaller dia pin off the bench, and it wasn't going to be large enough to work. Needed 1.25", only had 1.10". Doh!