• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cincinnati No 2 Cutter Grinder Restoration

Brent H

Ultra Member
Great day making gears today. Spent yesterday making blanks and cursing the failed broach fiasco and then came today!!!

cutting gears to replace the missing parts in my tool grinder. The slow feed in my model was supposed to have helical gears - hard to make, so I made spur gears as would have been the way of the 1930’s models. Since they didn’t change the casting for the handle I could revert to the old gearing.
I made a new stationary gear shaft from 1-1/2” 4140 with bushing pressed into either end to support a 3/4” shaft that drives a bronze gear. This gear moves the rack back an forth while grinding. This shaft received 19 gear teeth. 14DP - 14.5° PA. 72AE5512-FD74-4F11-9C0E-937C68C4EAD9.jpeg
Then I machined the broached blank with 20 Teeth - all same cutter so set up was quick and easy.
3EBD9208-3014-4494-8260-3F4B04F646C4.jpeg
I then cut the spool with 18 Teeth on one end and 17 teeth the other.
8610204B-A3CC-4125-9CC0-A0EAB99F8825.jpeg
Then we had some assembly time:

A1127792-E822-4EAF-9606-C0C700C4FB36.jpeg
The smaller gears are Cast Iron.
I lubbed up everything with some assembly grease and put it on the machine.
59749DAD-026F-48FA-9813-DFA09921394B.jpeg
Works like a charm!!

A2E3773C-1B64-412B-A274-21561EEC2769.jpeg
You push in the centre shaft to engage the slow gear and it rotates on the bigger shaft to reduce the feed speed - I forget the amount sorta 4-1 type thing.
I would like to make a new bronze drive gear for this machine but having trouble finding a 12 DP -20°PA cutter. Most are the 14.5°.
Anyway - new belt to install and hook up the VFD and should be good to start wrecking end mills very soon!!

Chipper5783

Very nice write up. Thank you. I've not touched my Cinci #2 in a couple years (so many other projects). I have tuned up the side flutes on about half dozen end mills (the air bearing end mill holders is incredibly smooth). I have not sorted out sharpening the end teeth of the EM - let me know when you get that sorted.

Attachments

• DSCF6823.JPG
    DSCF6823.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 13

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Tom Kitta and @Dabbler :

I found this you tube video today:

There is also a few others for doing the helical edges.

I am looking for any Oz40 collets or Weldon adaptor sleeves if anyone has any of those out there?

If things go well I may be doing some sharpening sooner than later - just need to get home....

Brent H

Ultra Member
@RobinHood - that would be great. I have 1/4” and I think 3/4” for the sharpening head. I have been looking for a few more and then I can start doing some sharpening. My Weldon sharpening jig will be getting some tune up as well - that would be the helical part of the sharpener :)

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I checked. They are OZ25s made in Germany, not the 40s you are looking for. I also have a MT3 & a MT4 collet holder for them. Not sure if that would help you any.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So I checked. They are OZ25s made in Germany, not the 40s you are looking for. I also have a MT3 & a MT4 collet holder for them. Not sure if that would help you any.

Hmmm... are the holders threaded for a draw bar? What size are the collets? I might be interested.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The MT3 holder (top left) only has a tang. The MT4 uses a 5/8-11 thread. There is only one nut for both holders and no key.

The collet sizes are: 1/8, 1/4, 5/16, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8 and 1”. They are Made in Germany by Ortlieb, sold by KAR here in Canada.

C2E19F18-A3FA-4015-BFD9-61CC758F14BC.jpeg

Brent H

Ultra Member
@RobinHood :I will PM you on the units. I have a 50 taper To MT4 and MT3 that fits the head of the main grinder holder. Your selection should be good for any end mills I have as well I have the fill in sizes of oz 25