• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cincinnati No 2 Cutter Grinder Restoration

Brent H

Ultra Member
So back in February, when Covid was just a buzz word I bought a (Approx) 1935 to 1940 Cincinnati No 2 Tool Grinder/Sharpener from a sharpening service that was closing its doors. I picked it up for $500 including a bunch of accessories, grinding wheels and some other odds and sods. I have been slowly working on it along with other things. This machine is one of those - built like a tank - items and every piece, including the smallest screw must weigh at least several pounds. I was able to download and find most of the original manuals and accessories pictures - parts are scarce, but I am making most of them so it is not as problematic as much as it takes time.

The machine is capable of just about every sharpening function you could imagine from 10" saw blades to 1/8" end mills. It will let you sharpen most cutter tools if you have the right jig. I have most of them except for a radius accessory and the planer knife holder. @Chicken lights may be able to pick up a few parts I have in the US that will do all the small end mils and another jig that will hold and properly grind saw blades.

The beast was loaded at the sharpening place using a fork truck and was removed from the trailer and loaded into my garage using another fork lift. On the way home the unit crushed a solid oak pallet and tilted sideways when I got caught in a kilometre stretch of road construction - just a bit of panic and cursing the Toronto area for its wonderful roads.

The grinder unit is listed at 2050 lbs plain - not entirely sure what "plain" means but it is heavy considering there are only 4 main parts. The grinder is built to absorb vibrations and keep the wheels cutting true. As I was reading about this type of machine it "appears" to be the best thing for sharpening tools and most large shops will have one or two of this type sharpener set up for some sharpening activity - by shops I mean a large sharpening facility or tool fabrication facility - CNC has pretty much turned sharpening into a past practice and disposable/recyclable cutters are more in use.

The Cincinnati will also surface grind (most say it is just "ok to adequate" but I had nothing before so........) and it will also grind cylindrical items as well - I have a few attachments for that purpose.

Pictures of the start of things:

IMG_3632-800x600.JPG

IMG_3635-800x600.JPG

IMG_3637-800x600.JPG

IMG_3642-800x600.JPG

The first task was to pull apart the top and see what sort of repairs were needed. I found I will be making new shafts and putting in new bushings as needed. The only missing things were two gears in the front handle. The front handle has the ability to engage a planetary gear arrangement that will slow feed the table as you crank verses using the back handles. The back handles are direct drive and I tell you the table can boogie - very fast left to right as it rides on ball bearings. I would also be doing a bit of cast iron welding to fix a few accessories.

Here is the ball bearing system exposed (not x rated but there are a lot of balls......) hahaha

IMG_3652-800x600.JPG

The balls are 3/4" and there are 20 a side. They ride in a brass cage and on hardened ways/ Nothing appeared worn.

I removed the saddle assembly and found that the lead screw nut was badly worn - it was cast iron and pretty much nothing left for solid grip.

IMG_3629-800x600 (2).JPG

But, I am getting better at the internal left hand ACME thread so what the heck - mill it out and insert a bronze threaded bush :)

It only took about 0.020" and the original threads were gone. I was in the process of making the left hand nut for the lead screw (this screw moves the saddle in and out) when I suffered my gear failure on the Utilathe - other restoration project ...LOL.....

Anyway - after setting up on a different lathe at work I finished the nut.

IMG_3803-800x600.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3812-800x600.JPG
    IMG_3812-800x600.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 0

Brent H

Ultra Member
The accessories for the grinder all got pulled apart and I found that the indexing head had been poorly repaired by brazing ad was failing. I went at it with the special high nickle wire. I was also dissolving the paint off of components and spraying some industrial coatings.

IMG_3649-800x600.JPG

IMG_3650-800x600.JPG

IMG_3651-800x600.JPG

IMG_3625-800x600.JPG

IMG_3626-800x600 (2).JPG

The other items were getting painted:

IMG_3660-800x600.JPG

IMG_3661-800x600.JPG

There was an overhaul on the indexing head and the motor and head for the rotary grinding attachment:

IMG_3669-800x600.JPG

IMG_3673-800x600.JPG

I then started on the shafts and the main saddle..........

Brent H

Ultra Member
The shafts and bushings were all pretty worn and I found a few parts in the wrong place (like dials) and a few poorly adjusted bearings.

The shafts came out great and are made from 4140.

IMG_3659-800x600.JPG

IMG_3663-800x600.JPG

IMG_3644-800x600.JPG

IMG_4009-800x600.JPG

IMG_4011-800x600.JPG

In the above picture the old shaft is in the front. Notice there are three groves (should only be 2) and you can see the stepped wear at each end.

There are two of these shafts and they are the speed feeds on the back of the machine. You can lock them to freeze the table (the result of the third grove) and dis-engage them if required - a ball bearing clicks in the two slots for in and out position. I found several screws missing, balls missing and the springs also missing...waiting on some amazon orders.....

Shafts assembled:

IMG_4012-800x600.JPG

New 50 taper draw bar::

IMG_3679-800x600.JPG

New thumb screws for the calibrated dials:

IMG_3846-800x600.JPG

I think the brass looks nicer than the cheap thumb thing in the forefront - LOL

Redid the hand wheels:

IMG_4008-800x600.JPG

And it continues.........

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
This looks almost identical to what I have. For a 500 you got excellent deal - you can turn around and with extra accessories sell it for at least 3x that.

Mine came without much of an accessories except small 3 way vise and modified mechanism you have there brazed - but with a lathe QCT holder welded to one end.

I take some pictures and you will see that the table casting at least its back is identical same with some wheels and even placement.

Even paint color is the same, light gray. I just started to look into the machine this weekend.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey @Tom Kitta ,

That is cool! I have the three way vise - it was fitted with a crappy tire vise but it seemed to work - I will make a new vise for it later on. The work head I have for it has a 50 taper on one end and what is I think a Brown and Sharp #12 - I have a taper adapter that changes that to a #3 Morse.

I guess a list is easiest:

1. Indexed work head 50 taper and 12 B&S
2. 50 tapers: #4 MT, #5 MT, OZ40 Collet (1/4 and 1/2"), 1" mandrel, 1/2" mandrel
3. 12 B&S to #3MT
4. Cylindrical grinding attachment with #3MT end and 2 mandrels (will be adding a 4 jaw chuck if it works well)
5. Left hand and right hand tails stocks
6. slitting saw sharpening accessory
other odds and sods and indexing tools.

If your Cincinnati has the open front then it is probably exactly like mine. They changed that in the 1940's and I think the grinding head was able to tilt on the next version.

I ran into a bit of a snag with the bushing replacement. The fast speed handle shafts have bronze bushings that are 7/8" OD and an 11/16 ID. I bought some Princess Auto 5/8 x 7/8 bushings and was hoping to just machine out that 1/16" but the "cintered" type bushing just cracked and would not work, so I wait on some bronze.

I did some additional welding on the one spring loaded tail stock to repair a good grind into a part that supports some wiper felts. After paint I will grind a bit of weld back on the inside to make sure the wiper fits:

IMG_4017-800x600.JPG

various stages of welding:

IMG_4018-800x600.JPG

IMG_4019-800x600.JPG

IMG_4020-800x600.JPG

IMG_4021-800x600.JPG

I didn't push it too much after that and the center still fit fine so I will hit it with the paint tomorrow.

@Tom Kitta If you want any pics of things let me know - I would be interested to see your machine as well :)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
IMG_20200602_205809[1].jpg

Yes it is British. But look at similarities especially the back. Head moves with the column round and up and down with the help of the wheel on the left near power switch. Right front wheel moves side to side and left front wheel moves table back and forth.

IMG_20200602_205820[1].jpg

I have this accessory with welded lathe tool holder on one end. The base looks identical to what you have - it has one corner broken off.

IMG_20200602_205830[1].jpg IMG_20200602_205839[1].jpg

Side and back view. I have two things on my spindle - one is super short and the other looks like tapered holder - at least this one can reach the table. You can also see tiny 3 way vise. Wheel on the back duplicates left - right wheel from the front. There is also one quick movement wheel - same function as two quick movement ones on cincinati - same identical shape.

Unfortunately there are no more accessories. I tried to buy one with more accessories but they were expensive - one like this one but with addition of powered head went for 1800 with fees. I paid 720 for mine, 800 with gas $ for Edmonton.

Motor transfers power to the work-head via ribbed belt like in a car - interestingly it was easy to get a replacement.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Tom Kitta - looks very cool - maybe a bit smaller than the one I have which would have been preferable - alas - LOL - They have various spindle extenders that thread onto the short taper to push the wheels out further. Mine has one long extension and a short one. The shorter one can be fit with the cup wheels to reach the table with the other arm long enough for say a surfacing wheel.
DBF236A1-CADE-42ED-8D07-20B6ECD15962.jpeg
my belt is 85” flat - I have a new one but it was expensive ($180) but I should never have to buy another.

today I painted the majority of the parts to be re-fitted like the table, rotating table etc.
078A6DF8-8AC6-45FB-9612-8F3673DE95F7.jpeg

today was a bunch of work - but so cool I machined in the Woodruff key slots for the fine adjustment shaft.
DC38D35C-DE72-4C4A-BBC5-44F9BABB2213.jpeg

3EB4E397-992A-4C10-A50D-7434DDB1F4B9.jpeg
Tomorrow I should have some shots of putting the table top back on etc.

looking at your pics again @Tom Kitta you should be good running the cup wheels on the short side. There would normally be a big rubber bellows covering the big centre shaft. Very cool looking machine!

Attachments

• 7432C3C9-286A-4CB8-BBF8-73792EA8F761.jpeg
    7432C3C9-286A-4CB8-BBF8-73792EA8F761.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 0

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Tom Kitta keep your eyes peeled for an end mill sharpener as lots of things will fit these machines - they were pretty much the most copied tooling out there. If you needed/wanted one particular thing what would it be? I will keep looking here - there is a fellow about 1 hour away that routinely sells off parts for these type machines.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Hey @Brent H I have a Keller T&D grinder, so any accessories Tom doesn't need, I might be able to use! It isn't quite a versatile as a Universal unit, but does all the same things.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I only have 2 other accessories that I bough long time ago for the surface grinder. One is an air bearing end mill sharpener and the other is a grizzly front teeth end mill sharpener. I guess I could also use on it little drill sharpening attachment (one patented 100 years ago or so to be used on side of grinder wheel). I would benefit thus from almost any extra equipment.

I should also look more into using and learning how to use what limited stuff I have.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Tom Kitta if you have the air bearing end mill sharpening holder you are off to the races. @Chicken lights has picked up one I bought in the US many months ago along with the saw sharpening attachment for the unit. @Dabbler I will keep eyes open for stuff. Now that I know what a lot of it looks like it is easier to sort out.

Today was a fast day as I was helping my young lad shoot a video on using a drill press for his shop class - but I also got things going together on the Cincinnati.

First was to make a bushing for the fine table angle adjustment. It went pretty quick. I used brass instead of bronze as I only had the brass on hand.

523DCD95-A71D-4DD1-B4EC-E10C7164909D.jpeg
61A35168-1FB0-4880-AE6A-E0DA082840DA.jpeg
I put the table on as well as the angle table and then put the painted parts together. This is the parts for the machine still in the shop:

6FD50715-CA93-42BE-A57A-123E8A73C735.jpeg
6E84C227-D33F-4BE7-B1C0-22386422F35B.jpeg
Here is the assembled stuff so far. I still need to haul the beast out for a skirt painting. Some bushing need to be made and the slow speed handle assembly will take some time. My gear cutters for that project just arrived yesterday.
5D6410C6-2502-4ED3-B445-B2D3E08F2C0B.jpeg
5FE59320-219E-485A-AFE6-45CF3B6FE1EF.jpeg
58D0B5E1-5D94-40F4-B0AC-6EC281D37927.jpeg

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@Tom Kitta if you have the air bearing end mill sharpening holder you are off to the races. @Chicken lights has picked up one I bought in the US many months ago along with the saw sharpening attachment for the unit. @Dabbler I will keep eyes open for stuff. Now that I know what a lot of it looks like it is easier to sort out.

Today was a fast day as I was helping my young lad shoot a video on using a drill press for his shop class - but I also got things going together on the Cincinnati.

First was to make a bushing for the fine table angle adjustment. It went pretty quick. I used brass instead of bronze as I only had the brass on hand.

View attachment 9496
View attachment 9497
I put the table on as well as the angle table and then put the painted parts together. This is the parts for the machine still in the shop:

View attachment 9498
View attachment 9499
Here is the assembled stuff so far. I still need to haul the beast out for a skirt painting. Some bushing need to be made and the slow speed handle assembly will take some time. My gear cutters for that project just arrived yesterday.
View attachment 9500
View attachment 9501
View attachment 9502
There are three boxes with your name on them in Ontario as we speak.
Getting closer....

Brent H

Ultra Member
The project continues: Installed new bushings to go with the new shafts I made for the fast table handles. Things are running smooth. I am in the process of making a new slow speed gear box for the machine as it was missing some parts. I made the outer bearing shaft yesterday and it didn’t take long.
Here is the old/new shaft pics.
A9895AA0-E27C-495E-9F6C-36ABF3274E8C.jpeg
D963832A-CF56-4832-ABFF-40D4843982CB.jpeg
Note the wear on the old shaft. New shaft is 5/8” cold rolled. There is/will be a bronze bushing on the shaft. The slot is for oil to get to the bearing.

here it is installed - a press fit back into the housing.
D8A30DAD-3BF6-4650-B5A5-D9814F46C6EA.jpeg

I have some math to work out and 2 gear blanks to make and a few other odd and aids and the machine will be back to 100%. :cool: