Tool CFM

Tool

trevj

Ultra Member
Ya know I did an old tractor with a roller and thinned out Tremclad and I was surprised how smooth and well it worked. Much better than the brush job I was doing beforehand. However I have not been impressed by how fast the paint oxidized and went chalky.
To be fair, I have seen some REALLY crappy factory paint jobs over the years!

Anyone here have the paint fall off their GM, while they were trying to figure out Low VOC Paints? They were definitely not the only manufacturer affected, either.

I had a VW that had been looped through the paint line about six times, as best I could tell. When the paint started peeling off in large chips, if you picked up the chip and looked at it under magnification, it looked like one of those stacked layer Licorice Allsort candies. Black, grey, repeating, on down to the metal.

For the price, it's hard to beat Tremclad. But the low price DOES come with a cost too!

I ponder whether a coat of clear, sprayed over the Tremclad, would offset some of the issues with chalking up?

Over the years I have slung Laquer, enamel, poly-urethane, and epoxies, they all have their adaptation curves.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
The original post about using Tremclad on the Mopar forum is over 85 pages long now.
Settle in for a while if you read it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Anyone here have the paint fall off their GM, while they were trying to figure out Low VOC Paints? They were definitely not the only manufacturer affected, either.

I lived this nightmare.

Basically, the government forced a technogy change before the technology was ready. Everyone who manufactured vehicles in North America was affected.

When the paint came off in sheets, it was all blamed on industry.

I have lots of stories like that.

trevj

Ultra Member
The original post about using Tremclad on the Mopar forum is over 85 pages long now.
Settle in for a while if you read it.
No thanks. Been through a couple of those cycles on different enthusiast forums... LOL!The problem with both the guys 'for', and the guys 'against', is, as I see it, that they are both usually correct!

For me the method and materials used, will be chosen on a case by case basis, depending on need, want, and purpose! Gotta! If you dig your heels in on one side or the other, eventually you paint yourself into the proverbial corner, and end up using a methodology that is NOT appropriate for the desired end results!