• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cardboard Box Solutions

fixerup

Super User
My best cardboard fix was repairing a girlfriend car. She noticed there was almost no heat coming from the fan. I told her to pickup a thermostat and I would fix it after work. When I removed the thermostat housing I tore the gasket apart. So I made one with a cardboard box. I forget if it was a pack of smoke or a laundry box. Tap, tap with a hammer around the thermostat housing, made a gasket and installed the new thermostat. She seemed impressed but didn't believed it would work. Started the car, it didn't leak and we had heat. I told her, to make sure it worked, we needed to wait at least 30 minutes before driving off . So we did spend an hour in the back seat. Best cardboard box fix I ever did.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
My best cardboard fix was repairing a girlfriend car. She noticed there was almost no heat coming from the fan. I told her to pickup a thermostat and I would fix it after work. When I removed the thermostat housing I tore the gasket apart. So I made one with a cardboard box. I forget if it was a pack of smoke or a laundry box. Tap, tap with a hammer around the thermostat housing, made a gasket and installed the new thermostat. She seemed impressed but didn't believed it would work. Started the car, it didn't leak and we had heat. I told her, to make sure it worked, we needed to wait at least 30 minutes before driving off . So we did spend an hour in the back seat. Best cardboard box fix I ever did.
A free cardboard box - ok @fixerup wins! :D

fixerup

Super User
A free cardboard box - ok @fixerup wins! :D

Maybe if I had pictures of the .......... thermostat carboard gasket, I might of deserved the free carboard box. Joking aside, I was impressed how long this gasket held, she sold the car two years later, with the same gasket and still no leaks.
Another interesting car fix was when the temperature gauge was pin to the over heating side. The V belt had broken and we were on a very remote country road. But luckily I had stopped right in front of a farm house. I looked at my buddy and said " I have heard people using panty hose to get them out of a bind" I walked over to the farm house and ask the farmer if his wife had an old pair of panty to donate to the cause. I could hear her laughing so hard in the other room and she gave me two pair just in case. I wrapped it around the pulleys tie a plain knot and drove off. The temperature gauge drop and we got to our destination and back home on that single pair of panties. I miss that 1983 VW rabbit diesel, such a dependable car, has a teenager it cost me so little to have a car to get around.
So guys, if you're ever working on a part and your belt goes south and you want to get that part done. Just ask for some panties.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have used that trick a few times and always take some on a trip back to Victoria the knot is so small it’s almost non existent and the nylon fabric collects grease to lubricant it. People might laugh but they work great I have even given them a full wrap on selected pulleys for a better bite.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Definitely not cardboard box - or even close - but the panty hose fix reminder me of my trip from Ontario to Medicine Hat for a summer job.
I’d been driving for over 24 hours, about 3AM the gas gauge started to move too quickly towards the E. I stopped and saw gas leaking from the mechanical fuel pump (318 V8 Plymouth Fury). I had my dirt bike on a trailer with me. I used the front wheel tube to make a diaphragm gasket for the fuel pump. Worked great and lasted several years.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Mini spray booth made of cardboard box. And the shop dog paint can mixer.

Attachments

• IMG_4450.jpeg
    IMG_4450.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 14

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
My shop revolves around cardboard boxes for parts & item storage. I might have 200 by now. They all have a cheapo masking tape label & I am perpetually shifting contents & location. I used to get 2 specific sizes for free from work that were otherwise destined for recycle. Unfortunately that source has dried up. What's important to me is 1) they are the same width so they stack & you can utilize shelf space 2) easy open lid although I've also used stick on Velcro tabs 3) sufficiently strong box thickness as sometimes its nearly filled with fasteners, metal objects or whatever. For lighter weight stuff I've used shoeboxes which are sometimes consistent width. Amazon boxes are abundant but are the typical top flap which is less convenient when you are in & outa lot. I've made my own lids but they are kind of ugly.

There are nice ones out there, but min qty is kind of a killer. For example these & what's nice is range of taller ones is available on the same footprint. The easy open flap style is what I prefer.

I also use boxes for drawer dividers but they compete with dollar store plastic trays. Same problem, trays are always a dimension that almost works but could be better. I've been trying to think of a 3DP component that could allow one to 'make' boxes/trays by cutting rectangles of cardboard from scraps which are always available. Glue guns work well to bond cardboard. But the best I can come up with is essentially 'L' corner stock, kind of like how instrument cases are made. Now that's getting to be more like work though. I can buy a sheet of 1/8" Masonite & make a lot of storage solutions.

View attachment 41673
Hey @PeterT what kind of shelving or storage do you use for those boxes? Pictures?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Spray booth made of a cardboard box. When too much overspray starts coming out of the booth - shut the door. A wIre hanger holds parts up. Turn the wire when you want to rotate the part. Folds down for storage when you are done.

img_4026-jpeg.37436
John,
Make sure you use this ‘box spray booth’ near an open window or ventilation duct.
We had a customer use the same arrangement in his shop. He painted some small parts and went for lunch, when he returned mid-afternoon with a cigarette to take a peek he burned his eyebrows off.
VOCs tend to settle in quiet corners and pockets waiting for ignition.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
use this ‘box spray booth’ near an open window or ventilation duct
This reminds me of my buddy who produced composite RC models in his garage/shop. He vented externally from a 'booth', sucking through a fan with furnace filters. Even with filters, over time his adjacent fence ~2m away in open air had a buildup of particular paint munge. Must have had forgiving neighbor with no pets. Maybe worse was the (household type) fan motor was not explosion proof. Vapors + Spark = ... Small airbrush type volumes are no issue. Bigger volumes with the nasty paints, maybe give that some downstream consideration.

mickeyf

Not shop related, but then neither are advent doughnut puzzles. If you have a gardener in the family (or a rose propagator...) you might like lasagna gardening: